New Research On Iron Gall Ink

fiberdrunk

I'm guessing the pH of the paper or box had some part to play in how fast the ink faded.

Also perhaps the combination of things in my case: acid-free paper, sunlight-free/low-heat/low-humidity storage, whoknowswhatelse.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fiberdrunk

• amberleadavis

• Icywolfe

• Bookman

In my tests, we did a control of Papers, a control with HEAT. The old papers (that were not acid free) did not alter the ultimate fade result.

I never did correct for humidity because we have NONE.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

In my tests, we did a control of Papers, a control with HEAT. The old papers (that were not acid free) did not alter the ultimate fade result.

I never did correct for humidity because we have NONE.

Did you control for the luck of the Irish? I get it from my mother's side of the family.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

While in theory it should make everything worse, the inks fade faster than the hand oils.

Oh... and the luck of the Irish - can't control for that.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

While in theory it should make everything worse, the inks fade faster than the hand oils.

Oh... and the luck of the Irish - can't control for that.

I heard some older documents were tarnished by people handling it.

#Nope

That's the paper it self, and the damage would take a lot longer to occur - my tests were 4 mos, 6 mos, and 1 year.

ESSR is the last of the Stephans...or Stanford inks ...an old 19th century British top ink company even into the '70s. It was bought up, gutted, and the building sold. Typical conglomerate....bottom line this year = bonus type of thing.

One of the last of it's management got one of the old huge wooden vats and the Blue-black formula as settlement.

The bottle is standard UK post office authorized.

Too bad he didn't get them all, the blue I've seen on the com looked very good.

There is a huge thread on ESSR...perhaps the biggest thread on FPN history. 250-300+ posts. Those who had both said ESSR is not like Diamine. It's better also.

It's a 'sneaky' ink, very paper powered. Will write on all, but different papers give you slightly different results.

Sandy calls it mischievous.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 7 months later...

I found this about iron gall ink and preservation and am sharing it since it includes pictures which show iron gall damage on old documents.

https://www.lib.uchicago.edu/e/webexhibits/scienceofconservation/irongallink.html

Good find. I love these kinds of nerdy inky thoughts.

Is it true that IG inks only last about a year in the bottle before they lose some of their qualities?

I don't know, but my bottle of Diamine Registrars ink dried up when it got packed away for a couple of years after our move to Portland. It was only about 1/4 full and is now just dark black dried stuff. Not sure if it is the ink, or a bottle that was not well sealed (although it did not leak.)

Jim Couch

Portland, OR

Is it true that IG inks only last about a year in the bottle before they lose some of their qualities?

It's mainly an issue of air exposure... the more the ink is exposed to air inside the bottle, the more it oxidizes. That can cause the ink to precipitate out already in the bottle (you only want it to oxidize on the page and not prematurely). The ink could last for many years if not exposed to air. What I do is cut out circles of styrofoam (from styrofoam plates) that are the same size as the inner diameter of the ink bottle. Then I float the circle on top of the ink. This helps shield it from the air. I borrowed this idea from the old b&w photography darkroom suppliers where they'd have containers with "floating lids" to keep the air out of the mixed liquid photography chemistry (they also have collapsible bottles, which also work). For odd-shaped ink bottles (like Montblanc), I suppose you could wad up a ball of Saran Wrap to fill the empty air space inside the bottle, though this is the messier approach. Another alternative is to transfer your ink carefully to smaller and smaller bottles as you use it up, that way there is no air in the bottle (keep agitation to a minimum as you do this or you'll oxidize the ink that way, too).

Ordinarily a good traditional ferro gallotannic (iron gall) ink (without additional dyes) will go down clear on the page and then darken as it dries (oxidizes), within seconds. This is what you want to have happen. If the ink is already good and black when you put down a line, it's already oxidized in the bottle and may have precipitated out (check for sediment on the bottom of the bottle). Some people add a little vinegar or lemon juice if they see this sediment, to revive it, though I haven't tried this. I consider the ink unfit for archival work once it precipitates out. Time to make a new batch then.

Montblanc is the only iron gall ink company I know of that actually puts expiration labels on their bottles. I suspect you could extend the life of the ink just by keeping the air out of the bottle (this would be more challenging to do inside their odd-shaped ink bottles).

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

Hi,

As mentioned above by Member fibredrunk, oxidisation due to air in the storage vessel will shorten shelf life.

In my wee Review of Ecclesiastical Stationery Supplies Registrars Ink (ESSRI), I proposed decanting the ink from the soft plastic 'tanker' bottle in which it arrives to brimming glass bottles, and using a small bottle/vial for filling pens. (That also lowers risk exposure to contamination of the main volume.)

To eliminate dead air in the bottle/s, I gently add clean glass marbles. That also lowers the centre of mass, so the bottles are less prone to tipping over.

ESS also provided us with this info @ Post № 364 https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/205705-ecclesiastical-stationery-supplies-registrars-ink/?p=2773554

• Shelf Life & Storage:
    • ESSRI should be good for 2 to 3 years, not 12 to 18 months.
    • It is important to store the ink at a reasonably even temperature, away from a heat source.
    • Direct sunshine will cause the ink to break down and throw a sediment.

That Review was posted in Oct 2011, and I am not aware of Members reporting their ink went 'off'.

I've been using ink from the same bottle as used in the Review, and it seems quite sound, but I've not done a rigorous test. I speculated that the ink appearance might change a bit, but the performance/permanence should be just fine.

> That said, I tend to agree with fiberdrunk that if one intends to have as much 'archival' properties as possible, fresh ink is a good idea. (The older ink can be used for ephemera.)

Also, my full bottles of I-G Montblanc Blue-Black and Midnight Blue are sound, but I intend to use them up just in case they deteriorate over an extended time - use 'em or lose 'em.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

To eliminate dead air in the bottle/s, I gently add clean glass marbles. That also lowers the centre of mass, so the bottles are less prone to tipping over.

Brilliant! Marbles! Why didn't I think of that! :headsmack:

Brilliant! Marbles! Why didn't I think of that! :headsmack:

Hi,

When someone suggests that I've 'lost my marbles', I reply that since I wasn't using them they've been assigned other duties. :)

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Hi,

When someone suggests that I've 'lost my marbles', I reply that since I wasn't using them they've been assigned other duties. :)

Bye,

S1

:lol:

Hi,

Bye,

S1

Thanks for the tips! I will add marbles gently.

GREAT RESPONSE