Stub Lover, Big* Purchase... Lamy 2000?!

CelloGeek

Dubious!

*It's big for my budget.

Preference: Stubs

So, I have five (inexpensive) stub nibs right now. I'm ready to try new things, like flex or a gold nib or a more expensive stub! (I've tried twsbi EF, Lamy F, and Pilot M, but never a german M or B.) My best stub is my twsbi 1.1mm.

Lamy 2000?! But that's not a stub!

I was thinking M or B nib, and I'm leaning toward the B. I've read that it's "a bit stubbish" and I've been looking at writing samples all night and morning (Not as wonderful as it sounds) but I'm just not convinced this is the right next pen for me.

I could get it ground stub, but I don't know where I'd do that, or how much that would cost, either. Money is a factor.

Pros:

• cool pen
  • gold nib
  • ground stub?

Cons:

• expensive*
  • sweet spot
  • not stub
  • grind cost?

Maybe the sweet spot won't be a problem since I use stubs which are a bit harder to write with(?)

My second option is a Pilot Prera Demonstrator, calligraphy M nib, light blue accents. Hopefully it writes better than my current pilot calligraphy M nib...

What do you think?

Should I look at flex fountain pens instead? Dip pens? Sell a kidney and buy a black nibbed Aurora?

Will journal for food!

Twsbi Mini 1.1 -- Lamy Safari, charcol grey, 1.1 -- Pilot Plumix M Calligraphy --

Lamy Vista 1.5 -- Jinhao x750 Ivory, Goulet #6 1.1

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Betweenthelines

• CelloGeek

• Ashram

• Mafia Geek

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly the 2K isn't the best for grinding into stubs. It is a bit tricky. According to a couple 'meisters I've talked to, this is the result of less nib tipping and lower QC over the years.

Given what you like, I would recommend a Pilot Vanishing Point, and buy a custom ground nib unit from Pendleton Brown. Just an amazing stub, and one of my favorites.

One thing you can do is try and find a vintage, first generation L2K in B. These are 18K gold nibs, and the B is quite stubish. I have one B and one F or EF, and both have this stubish character, which is of course more visible with a B.

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

One thing you can do is try and find a vintage, first generation L2K in B. These are 18K gold nibs, and the B is quite stubish. I have one B and one F or EF, and both have this stubish character, which is of course more visible with a B.

These also make better contenders for grinds because of those nibs.

Not a Lamy I know, but the M200 Pelikan Italic steel nib is a nice stub. Different than all the other steel italics out there.

I would look for vintage non Lamy 1950-65 German pens. A Pelikan 140 or Geha 790, and Osmia all have rather flat tipping which was normal in many brands, making a stubbish script. In those mentioned have nice semi-flex if you get an Osmia with a diamond on the nib = semi-flex.

Lamy is a nail nib in most cases.

I really like the Obliques of that era, that would help you in your stubbish wish. An OB is a writing nib not a signature nib of modern day.

the wide sweet spot makes it an easy pen to use.

My Lamy 27 OF is a waste of time....nail, no line variation.

Buy a 2000 in B and have it made stub for you, you can get a wide M or narrower, in stubbing a nib means some width narrowing.

I'm told the 2000's nib is not as nailish as all the other Lamy pens. (Did read that later Persona's in 14 K have regular flex to a bit of spring.)

I had my nail OB Persona with no line variation.... I am against them when good vintage OB's can be had with a tad of flex; that are stubbish to start with. I had that nail made CI.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

To echo what has already been said, I too have been told these nibs are difficult to custom grind. I have a BB which is definitely stubbish but huge and wet. I really need something smaller.

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your wisdom.

Bo bo, I think you're right about finding a nib with some flex. And on that note, osmia supra 72... Now all I need is an automatic bidding machine and some idea of the pen's actual worth haha

Will journal for food!

Twsbi Mini 1.1 -- Lamy Safari, charcol grey, 1.1 -- Pilot Plumix M Calligraphy --

There's kinda nothing quite like a L2K. Maybe try some things out IRL before making your mind up? I prefer to "feel" big purchases before I part with the cash!

I am a stub lover as well and the B nib Lamy 2000 is my favorite pen. It is stubbish, which gives it some great qualities: the line is sharp and not rounded, but the rounded underside means that it is forgiving of writing angles and is super buttery smooth. My advice is go for it.

I agree that there isn't anything like a 2K. It is just a fantastic pen and a modern day legend. I now own 3 of them. Not really sure how that happened.

Perhaps check out Pendleton's TWSBI "Butter Line Stub Italic" nibs? I just picked up my first decent stub from him, a fine 580... Wow. I can't believe how smooth it is, and how elegant it makes my writing look! Just today packed up a spare VP nib, and a TWSBI medium to go off for the same treatment.

He's a really awesome guy to work with, too. Lots of fun to talk to. :)

As someone who just bought a Lamy 2000m (by accident) that .as little tipping to make it a fine (by request) I told him to use his expert opinion and I know have what he called a "Fat Fine" or a "Medium Rare". Lol. I love it to bits.

http://i.imgur.com/ZRbX2tG.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/3cLOybc.jpg

I've got an L2K with a Masuyama-ground cursive italic/stub (formerly bold) that is a fabulous, juicy writer. It can be done, and it can be done well.

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg

I have a current production L2K in bold that was ground to a stub by Richard Binder. Out of the box the factory bold was stubbish and extremely smooth but I wanted more line variation. I also heard that these nibs can be a challenge and I am glad I had the grind done in person since it needed a bit a fine tuning before it wrote exactly the way I wanted. It turned out great and is often my daily carry pen. I have a writing sample somewhere and if I can find it I will post it here. If you can't make it to a pen show to have it ground in person I recommend contacting Linda Kennedy or Mike Masuyama. I have stubs from both and they are fantastic. Expect about $40 plus shipping. Good luck with your purchase!

Edited by Ashram

http://i.imgur.com/Bftqofd.png

I have a Lamy 2000 that I got John to modify into a stub to match the writing of the Pilot Penmanship M Italic nib and he did an awesome job of it. I believe he attached more tipping material to make it into a stub as I sent him an EF to start with (made his life a little more difficult I think). The pen has a pretty small sweet spot, but it fits my writing pretty darn well. The only thing I regret is that I got him to make it SUPER wet so I have to pick my paper and ink very carefully. I might get it made dryer at some point, but I'm in no rush.

Here's a quick photo of the nib.

fpn_1405184609__top_side.jpg

fpn_1405184644__under_side.jpg

Honestly the 2K isn't the best for grinding into stubs. It is a bit tricky. According to a couple 'meisters I've talked to, this is the result of less nib tipping and lower QC over the years.

Given what you like, I would recommend a Pilot Vanishing Point, and buy a custom ground nib unit from Pendleton Brown. Just an amazing stub, and one of my favorites.

Nonsense. I won't claim to be a master but I've ground a Lamy 2000 or two and the tipping is great. Lamy gold nibs are some of my favorite to grind right after vintage Pelikan gold nibs.

There's kinda nothing quite like a L2K. Maybe try some things out IRL before making your mind up? I prefer to "feel" big purchases before I part with the cash!

That is exactly how I feel about it.

Thanks everyone, for your writing samples and photos and advice! :thumbup:

Will journal for food!