Historical Pen Pal

Nonstickron

I am in.....

I have lot of penpals that I write to about my life, so this sounds like a different challenge....

Since the letters will have no personal information, as it will be from "The character" an idea would be for either the sender or receiver to scan the letters, and post them here so we can all read....

I think it would be fascinating to hear about historical characters.

I suppose they could be totally fictional, but set in a historical period....that could work as well.....

I am in Northern Ireland, although not sure yet if my character will be based on Irish History or not.....

Initial thoughts are:

A roman emperor (Claudius, or the more insane Caligula :yikes: )

A Viking, setting off on voyages of pillaging to early Ireland

Josef Stalin

Elvis

William Wallace

Jesus (But thought that might be too controversial, and as an athiest, I am not sure I would do him justice)

But there are lots of others.....

So if anyone wants to be my "recipient", PM me....

Renfield (I did think of Vlad the Impaler with the Dracula connected Handle, but decided against it)

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nonstickron

• Notgatherox

• DJW1066

• Dickkooty2

I think its an individual choice on the scanning and uploading. People might still become expressive, even if posing as someone else. But yes, if the two people agree I think its a cool idea.

Another person and I were talking and it does seem that it might easier and less pressure to be someone fictitious CLOSE to a particular person in history, rather than that person. More creative wiggle room.

http://www.behance.com/rgdesignhouse • Ghost Letters Pen-Pal: Sir Francis Drake

I think your idea is BRILLIANT Nonstickron! I know I'd probably spend an exuberant amount of time in order to the the 'voice' just right for the chosen person or fictional character.

Renfield, penning as Jesus actually might be a fun theological exercise. I know you are an atheist (I am an atheist too, despite regular church attending during all my formative years plus college theology classes), I don't think it would be too difficult to assume His voice. After all, all those parables of Jesus are written as if He were speaking. Though I personally think writing as a philosopher (so many to chose from!) might be a little more interesting!

I've not had a pen pal for many, many years :blush: so I am a little hesitant to dive in, even though I think it would be fantastic.

Renfield, penning as Jesus actually might be a fun theological exercise. I know you are an atheist (I am an atheist too, despite regular church attending during all my formative years plus college theology classes), I don't think it would be too difficult to assume His voice. After all, all those parables of Jesus are written as if He were speaking. Though I personally think writing as a philosopher (so many to chose from!) might be a little more interesting!

When I thought of Jesus, I had him imagined as more of either of slight of hand trickster or as a hapless character like Brian (From Monty Python Life of Brian)

I think its an individual choice on the scanning and uploading. People might still become expressive, even if posing as someone else. But yes, if the two people agree I think its a cool idea.

Another person and I were talking and it does seem that it might easier and less pressure to be someone fictitious CLOSE to a particular person in history, rather than that person. More creative wiggle room.

Of course, its up to the writer, but hoping most people will agree as its essentially fictional.....

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

The most interesting thing about penning as Jesus would be figuring out who the other person would be. Someone equally controversial and at the other end of the spectrum would be a hoot..like Hitler or Jack the Ripper.

It was an old pen such as you may see in the windows of certain dealera in antiques, I opened the pen slowly, respecting its age and the dreams of the previous owners. The aroma of the ink wafted to my nostrils, a scent of iron, ambergris and paraffin that transported me in a moment to the garden of my mothers house where she sat primly writing to Papa who was away on affairs in Paris. At seven I was taken with the bouquet of the ink and my mother. Would there ever be another time in which I was so secure? The aroma. the stream of memories, sweep over me ...À la recherche du temps perdu ...

Edited by Dickkooty2

When I thought of Jesus, I had him imagined as more of either of slight of hand trickster or as a hapless character like Brian (From Monty Python Life of Brian)

Of course, its up to the writer, but hoping most people will agree as its essentially fictional.....

Monty Python's Life of Brian is actually banned where I chose to pursue higher education, which of course, made everyone go out to see it :lol: The depiction of Brian's misadventures are perfect when compared to Jesus, which is probably why the movie was so hilarious and successful.

Anyway, hopefully I haven't caused the topic to stray too far by continuing to muse about Jesus as a pen pal, hah!

Ok I think I have all the pen pals I can handle for the time being lined up. Plenty of people besides myself have expressed interest in this idea. Reach out to each other. :)

I think there are some great possibilities. What would Leonardo da Vinci and Einstein talk about. I've often wondered how da Vinci would react to riding in a modern car or in a helicopter. I'm sure two pen pals taking on those personae could have a ball and some interesting conversations. Would there be some way that a person could pick a person they think their character would enjoy pen palling with?

Edited by linearM

We do something like that in my family but it's somewhat unintentional.

The holidays are ummm... interesting.

Would love to be a fly on the wall at family gatherings then LOL

A consumer and purveyor of words.

Co-editor and writer for Faith On Every Corner Magazine

Magazine - http://www.faithoneverycorner.com/magazine.html

15th July 1864

My Dear Friends and Colleagues

The post rider today brought the most welcome report of a new scheme for like-minded people to correspond.

Being on campaign affords scant opportunity for civil discourse; regular intercourse through the mails would be a much valued tonic, offering enlightenment about divers times and divers places.

If there be those among you willing to so engage, then I respectfully ask you to message me, so that we might commence.

Respectfully, I am your humble and obedient servant,

T. Broga

Colonel, Georgetown Fencibles

http://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/LetterExchange_sm.png

"On such a full sea are we now afloat; and we must take the current as it serves". Julius Caesar, Act 4, scene 3.

The White House

Washington, DC

15 July, 2014

Dear Col. Brogan,

With your experience in armed incursions into unfriendly and enemy country, I seek you opinion on the situation of US Forces in Iraq and Afghanistan.

In the instance of Iraq, the withdrawal of US troops has left a country torn by religious sectarianism, veering toward the rule of the deposed Osama bin Laden.

In the case of Afghanistan, recent much-criticised elections may result in another divided state. The US plans to withdraw troops from Afghanistan soon.

What is your read of the situation based on your experiences?

Sincerely,

Barack Obama

President of the United States of America

Edited by Dickkooty2

16 July 1864

Dear President Obama

As the young up-and-coming correspondent and writer, Rudyard Kipling, said:

"When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains

And the women come out to cut up your remains,

Then roll to your rifle and blow out your brains

And go to your god like a soldier."

When we consider the carnage wrought by your war between the states, even under the helm of so compassionate a man as your A. Lincoln, we must conclude that the only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn anything from history.

I trust this adequately adresses your point.

Your humble etc etc

Ty Broga

Colonel, Georgetown Fencibles

http://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/LetterExchange_sm.png

"On such a full sea are we now afloat; and we must take the current as it serves". Julius Caesar, Act 4, scene 3.

Hi All,

This looks like tons of fun! I am going to start researching some characters.

I have always loved history, and writing, esp short stories/essays. and I recently got into fountain pens.

Anyone who would like to have Ghost Correspondence can message me and either send me letter and I will respond as someone their chosen character would have written to. Or as whomever they would like.

Or, choose someone for me to write to them as, or I can choose. and respond as whoever they would like.

Don't hesitate to message me with any Ideas or Questions. Im super excited to get started on this!

Cheers,

Bevan

Oh, sure ! You want Genghis Khan getting hold of your journal. and using it against you ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I have a mind to punish my messenger already! Why hasn't my letter arrived!

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.