The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Are Parker 45 Steel Nibs Prone To Corrosion?

parker 45 nib corrode craters

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 superglueshoe

superglueshoe

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 July 2014 - 17:23

I bought a new (supposedly nos) Parker 45 nib assembly in gold trim recently. It writes nicely but when I disassembled it, lo and behold underneath the nib are little craters of varying size. What could've caused this? Is it corrosion? Should I be careful what inks to use? It writes nicely so I want to save it haha.

Attached Images

• IMAG0767_1.jpg

Edited by superglueshoe, 08 July 2014 - 17:24.

Sponsored Content

#2 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,535 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 July 2014 - 18:16

I've not had that problem with any of my SS nibs.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#3 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Super Pinks member:

• Member - Gold

• 8,905 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 July 2014 - 19:37

I have not had it either.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

#4 Ernst Bitterman

Ernst Bitterman

Nil Magnum Nisi Bonum

• Member - Gold

• 8,044 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 July 2014 - 21:01

I wonder if it's an older or newer example, I suspect newer, because the latter examples of 45 have not impressed me greatly.  That is corrosion, and I've seen it on a lot of plated and unplated steel points from the 1930s onwards.  I've even managed to get a little of that effect on a Parker 95 I'm rather fond of.  The trick behind it is to not quite flush a pen properly; the ink concentrates, its corrosive properties increase, and presto!  Lacy point!

I don't think it matters too much which ink one uses.  The 95's mild dose came about from a poor job of flushing Herbin Poussiere de Lune, and we're told that Herbin inks are generally pretty darned mild.  I did a serious number on an Osmiroid point back in the 1980s using nothing but Quick blue-black (but I also had a very fuzzy notion of how to look after a pen back then).

Edited by Ernst Bitterman, 08 July 2014 - 21:02.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

#5 superglueshoe

superglueshoe

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:41

Do you think the nib will last long? Or will it just disintegrate quickly?

#6 Matlock

Matlock

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:06

If the corrosion has not gone right through the nib you should be OK for some time, just keep an eye on it. 45 nibs are still available from a number of pen dealers so I would have a look on various websites and obtain a really new nib maybe a 14k nib which will not corrode (but that will cost). 

Peter

#7 superglueshoe

superglueshoe

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:17

I had a quick search on eBay and couldn't find many. Which dealers do you recommend? I have a 14k one, its a bit scratchy though which was why I bought this one. Although at the time I didn't know it was rusting.

#8 Matlock

Matlock

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,702 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:23

Penbox and The Pen Museum in the UK usually have a stock. Give them a try. (I beleve Penbox only have M)

Peter

#9 Matlock

Matlock

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,702 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:24

Further to my last post, I have a spare M gold plated S/S nib. If you have no luck online let me know.

Peter

#10 superglueshoe

superglueshoe

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:31

Thanks for the info and the offer :). I'm looking for a F. So hopefully the pen museum will have some.

#11 Spikey Mike

Spikey Mike

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:50

Battersea Pen Home has fine stainless steel P45 nibs  ...http://www.penhome.c...er-45-nibs.html

pen01.jpg pen02.jpg

#12 Mike 59

Mike 59

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,658 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:34

Have only one steel '45' nib here, seems it has the same problem, if not so much as the OP.

The pen it came out of was from 1988, it was bought second hand so I have no idea which inks were used with it.

#13 Mob Mentality

Mob Mentality

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2016 - 00:15

I know that this thread is old. I was thinking maybe the former owner used Parker Superchrome ink in the pen. It's a very corrosive ink.

"Our chief want is someone who will inspire us to be what we know we could be."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

#14 mariom

mariom

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:00

I know that this thread is old. I was thinking maybe the former owner used Parker Superchrome ink in the pen. It's a very corrosive ink.

Give that Supechrome ink was discontinued in the 50s, it's possible but unlikely.

I've seen this type of corrosion on two pens with gold plated steel nibs - a Parker 45 and a Pilot 57. Both had clearly been left for many years (20+ in the case of the Pilot) with ink inside them. The P45 was the worse of the two, with a noticeable chunk missing from the edge in addition to pitting on the underside. It didn't seem to affect ink flow or writing in any way though.

=====================================
Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

=====================================

#15 Jerome Tarshis

Jerome Tarshis

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,751 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:16

I don't think it matters too much which ink one uses.  The 95's mild dose came about from a poor job of flushing Herbin Poussiere de Lune, and we're told that Herbin inks are generally pretty darned mild.  I did a serious number on an Osmiroid point back in the 1980s using nothing but Quick blue-black (but I also had a very fuzzy notion of how to look after a pen back then).

Yes. Superchrome had no monopoly on the ability to corrode metal. And, as Mario reminds us, Superchrome wasn't being manufactured during the run of the 45. All we have here is a corroded nib.

#16 Mangrove Jack

Mangrove Jack

Nimrod

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2016 - 14:43

The nib should still work for many years despite the pitting.

#17 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,834 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2016 - 02:49

What is Quick blue-black?  Is this a company out of business?

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#18 Flounder

Flounder

Forum Moderate

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 10:45

Just wanted to share this snap of a particularly world-weary Parker 51 stainless clutch ring. The external surfaces are flawless. If it was original to the pen (a vac 51) it predated superchrome. Who can say why it's so pitted? Someone disassembled the pen, did't seal the hood, then inked up with superchrome for a few decades? Beats me.

pitted 51 clutch ring.jpg

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

#19 Venemo

Venemo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2016 - 12:24

What is Quick blue-black?  Is this a company out of business?

He probably means Quink blue-black (manufactured by Parker).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parker 45, nib, corrode, craters

Sponsored Content

|