The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

About To Get First Pelikan, Which Of My Inks Are Best?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 DrCodfish

DrCodfish

neophyte

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2017 - 06:23

Sorry for bringing up an old topic, DrCodfish, is your peli BT fine with the Ancient copper ink? any staining or adverse effects?

I haven't had any trouble, but I don't let that or any red hued lay around in any of my pens.  I go along with what Rick Propas said, not because he said it but because I made mistakes with red inks before I knew better.  If you stick with half fills in your pens you will come to a point where you have to make a conscious decision about putting more red ink (or any color really) in your pen.  An easy way to avoid a mistake due to forgetfulness.

As Will Rogers  once said "Good judgement comes from experience, ... and a lot of that comes from bad judgement". 

Sponsored Content

#22 MHBru

MHBru

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2017 - 02:33

I've tried several inks but keep co ing back to Iroshizuku. Great colors and great properties. In my book you can't go wrong with any of their inks.

#23 GuttSchrift

GuttSchrift

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 November 2017 - 16:57

Since Pelikans tend to have wider, wetter nibs -- I think that drier inks are OK in these (generally.) Really wet inks might be too much - but YMMV. 

#24 Mangrove Jack

Mangrove Jack

Nimrod

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2017 - 18:43

I have 2 Pelikan fountain pens. Both are M200's, one quite old and the other a newer production.
Both handle a variety of inks very well, even the Noodlers saturated permanent inks. Never had a problem with them and one I used for about a year without flushing it out.

#25 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,896 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 21:15

Many folks complain how very, very wide a Pelikan nib writes and they are using the wettest Noodlers they can find :doh: ..........and today many Noodler's users consider Waterman a dry ink. :yikes:

(((Hummm no wonder some folks like extra skinny Japanese nibs....they are using super wet make a nib twice as wide Noodlers.... :P )))

Back in the Old Days B) ....before Noodles became so popular, Waterman inks was the Wet Ink that one used with a dry pen to make it more enjoyable.

It's what one 'grew up' with....Noodlers instead of other brands....or those folks with the very big.....Large Pens, considering them 'normal'.....and normal pens the standard sized ones, too small :o...in they grew up with pens to clunky to post....refuse to post a pen designed to have great balance posted..... :unsure: 

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany      Info on Bock nibs

Due to Mauricio's improved definition of Super-flex, I try not use the term Easy Full Flex, but fail...sigh.

Semi-flex is an “almost” flex; not a ‘flex’ nib. It is great for regular writing with a touch of flair. It can give you some fancy; but it is not made for real fancy writing. For bit more of that get a maxi-semi-flex. Both spread tines 3X.  Those are not "Flex" nibs. 

Wider than Normal does not exist. Wider than Japanese does. Every company has it's very own standard + slop/tolerance. Developed from the users of it's pens and inks only; not the users or inks of other companies pens. The size you grind a nib to, is your standard only. Paper and ink matter to nib width. Thank god for 1/2 sizes or it would be boring.

#26 biancitwo

biancitwo

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2017 - 04:04

With the talk of dry inks, I cannot resist pointing out that dry inks do not lubricate the nib. An unlubricated nib will not glide across the paper, not even Clairfontaine. I love a nib/ink combination that nearly skates. There are some nibs for which feeling the paper is enjoyable. I never want one to drag. Therefore, give me a wet, well lubricating ink, with saturated color. That is a joy.

Sponsored Content

|