Difference Between Sailor 1911 Standard And Promenade

chas0039

Thanks!

It's in the shorter range for me... It could possibly be used uncapped, but I don't know how comfortable it would be. I would think that Pilot Metropolitan is the shortest length of pen I can use comfortably uncapped.

Why are all pens so short? And still I don't have large hands, but I write with a quote low angle.

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chas0039

• zchen

• Algester

• Olya

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is the Promenade nib the same size as the 1911 Profit (the regular size 1911, 1911M, 135mm closed) or the 1911 Large (140mm closed)?

(Related question - Is the Somiko nib the same size as the 1911 Profit? What about the Regulus? The ProColor?)

zhen already posted about the nibs these are the same nibs

Pro color and regulus wont fit ... Pro gear slim and pro gear slim mini will fit again they have the same nibs as the Profit regular

The Sailor Promenade has a spring-loaded inner cap -- similar to the Platinum Century. Platinum trumpets this, saying it significantly reduces the drying of ink in the pen. IIRC, they have a patent on the mechanism which allows the inner cap to rotate independent of the outer cap. This is the only Sailor pen which has this feature, that I am aware of. I don't recall seeing any mention of this in Sailor advertising -- or other forums. I only discovered it by the feel of the cap -- it feels just like a Century. You can also demonstrate it by gently pushing the center of the inner cap with a thin dowel or rod . Perhaps Platinum cross-licensed the patent with Sailor with the proviso that they could not advertise it -- which seems very odd. Others forums have remarked at similarity of the Promenade cap to the Century cap -- we now know that is to accommodate the telescoping movement of the inner cap. The Promenade is priced to compete with the Century.

• 2 years later...

I was looking for a new, Black, Sailor with a gold nib.

To me, the Promenade and the 1911 Standard looked so similar that I chose the Promenade solely on the basis of price.

Edited by howdydave

David A. Naess

Realization of the vastness of one's own ignorance

is the first step on the road to true wisdom.

-- Adi Shankara

I was looking for a new, Black, Sailor with a gold nib.

To me, the Promenade and the 1911 Standard looked so similar that I chose the Promenade solely on the basis of price.

Both great pens, so you can't go wrong either way. Unless you want a music or zoom, I suppose, since they don't stick those on the Promenades for whatever reason.

Is there any way to tell the difference between unplated 14k Promenade nibs and

24k plated 1911 nibs? Are they the same size? Nib engravings etc?

The only difference in looks is: the clip is differently engraved on the Promenade (otherwise it's the same clip), the ends are rounder and less torpedo shaped on the Promenade.

Also the blue & red Promenade are glitter finishes, very stunning.

In "pen engineering" the only difference is: the slip & seal in the Promenade, which also makes for a nicer feeling closing mechanism compared to the 1911 Standard.

I am very sure the two models use the same nib & feed along with the Pro Gear Slim. I haven't tried swapping them, but if anyone would want to, I bet there'd be no issue whatsoever. The 3 models also share the same clip, only the Promenade's is (as said) differently engraved.

That's it.

6_56c2e470-d38c-40e7-871f-3a24686edb7d_g

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQz_m-AhUe3hgT2XcN5fqbfykR2bpzJdw6HwHjzp7gcu60AVVfq

You're welcome!

Yes, grip section and literally everything else measures out the same as the 1911 Standard.

Just in length the Promenade likely measures a tiny bit shorter due to the rounded ends vs the torpedo shape of the 1911.

Nibs are excatly the same in performance, looks and measurement, same with the feed.

Is there any way to tell the difference between unplated 14k Promenade nibs and

24k plated 1911 nibs? Are they the same size? Nib engravings etc?

The 24k plating makes the nib look darker yellow gold, everything else is the same.

Profit Standard/1911 on the left, Promenade on the right.

wPVARN7.jpg

Edited by zchen

The one on the right looks like a rhodium trim to me...? The yellow gold and the rhodium plated gold nibs all look the same across the Promenade/ 1911 Standard/ Pro Gear Slim ranges. At least mine do..

The one on the right looks like a rhodium trim to me...? The yellow gold and the rhodium plated gold nibs all look the same across the Promenade/ 1911 Standard/ Pro Gear Slim ranges. At least mine do..

just the lighting, it's 14k gold with no plate

• 1 year later...

I certainly hope not. None of the illustrations show that and the name in the literature is different as well. The red and blue are "shining" where the black is not.

I would not want a sparkly / shining finish on a Sailor. So the Promenade black with silver trim does not have this?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QK93SI6/?coliid=I8T2KBGLMBWU7&colid=36BOMVMAMEHUT&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Edited by 85AKbN

question: this is from a Sailor Promenade amazon review (japanese translated to English)

There's an inner cover inside the cap that keeps ink from evaporating from the nib when the pen isn't being used; I've found the pen is always ready to write, without the need for initial coaxing.

Seems like ^ they are talking about the Platinum 3776 Century inner cap. Sailor does not have this does it?

It does. Don't know why Sailor don't mention it in their advertising but my Prom certainly has a slip and seal cap. Gorgeous little pen to boot!

It does. Don't know why Sailor don't mention it in their advertising but my Prom certainly has a slip and seal cap. Gorgeous little pen to boot!

Do you have the red, blue, or black?

I would not want a sparkly / shining finish on a Sailor. So the Promenade black with silver trim does not have this?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QK93SI6/?coliid=I8T2KBGLMBWU7&colid=36BOMVMAMEHUT&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Only the blue and red are sparkly, not the black.

The Promenade, as well as the Realo, have a slip and seal cap. For whatever reason it isn't advertized.

For everything good that Sailor do, their pen naming system would benefit from a workshopping session.