Nibs For Esterbrooks: Linton Vs Venus

Oldtimer

I put an Osmiroid M Italic on what of my Esties and will not take it off. It is smooth and soft and artsy... I am practicing my handwriting with it. But it is not entirely an Esterbrook that way, right? but I need the ease of use.

Another one has the 1554 which I love, scratchy but not too much and great for drawing.That is the only purpose of that Esterbrook. Could be great for making notes in small areas of a document, like when I pay my bills and write it down on a special notebook.

The third one has the best nib I have used which is the 2668. Soft, wet, medium, the average and perfect for everything. Not extraordinary, but almost as soft as my Lamy Safari

What will I use on the fourth Esterbrook that is arriving this week? --- I wish I could say I have the 2048, seems like a nice to have.

In my nibs inventory I also have a 9314 M that I think I don't know how to use. Super scratchy unless I tilt it. It's in its box, have to use it when I can dedicate time to it. Should I always tilt it to write? Is that how it is supposed to be?

I also have a Medium Venus and Linton that I bought just to make sure I would always have nibs. Which one is better? I am very interested on having a verdict on the Venus and Linton.

Future plans:

On the mail is an Osmiroid pen that comes with a B6 nib and another package with several Osmiroid nibs. That will be a great experiment and experience.

NOTE: I have not tried the Linton but the Venus M is similar to the 1554. I can use it as a substitute if I ever need it.

I welcome any suggestions on nibs that are desirable for Esterbrooks.

Thank you!

BTW: My goal is to have a sample of all the colors that the SJ came in. That is the only organized collection I will ever have.

post-114244-0-42591100-1404611432_thumb.jpg

Edited by Oldtimer

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• Oldtimer

• OcalaFlGuy

• Green Ink

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have an Estie nib discovery that is going to Blow Your Mind.

THAT'S the good news.

The BAD news is one of the FPN Mods and I bought the Last 3 of them that are so far as I know available at least for the time being.

A handwriting sample and the low down skinny tomorrow. :P

Bruce in Ocala, Fl-Ok, maybe a little tidbit of a hint. Can you say Stub? Sure, I KNEW you could...

9314-F -- This is a fine oblique. You have to rotate the pen some to find the sweet spot on these. Not too expensive.

9460 -- A medium manifold, made for pressing down through carbon copies, but this is a very sweet medium nib widely available at reasonable cost.

2312 / 9312 -- an italic nib that gives line variation, but not common and pricier. If you see one for a reasonable price, consider it.

2248 / 9248 -- broad stubs. Usually pricey, but if you see one at a modest price, consider buying it.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I have an Estie nib discovery that is going to Blow Your Mind.

THAT'S the good news.

The BAD news is one of the FPN Mods and I bought the Last 3 of them that are so far as I know available at least for the time being.

A handwriting sample and the low down skinny tomorrow. :P

Bruce in Ocala, Fl-Ok, maybe a little tidbit of a hint. Can you say Stub? Sure, I KNEW you could...

RATS, Bruce, you could have left one for me since I am a Floridian also.

9314-F -- This is a fine oblique. You have to rotate the pen some to find the sweet spot on these. Not too expensive.

9460 -- A medium manifold, made for pressing down through carbon copies, but this is a very sweet medium nib widely available at reasonable cost.

2312 / 9312 -- an italic nib that gives line variation, but not common and pricier. If you see one for a reasonable price, consider it.

2248 / 9248 -- broad stubs. Usually pricey, but if you see one at a modest price, consider buying it.

GOTCHA! I have affixed a note to my PC that I see every time I sit down to browse.... I would like to try a broad stub or an. Italic

Than you.

I have the 9314 M... Could that be a good alternative???? I tried it and put it back in the box 'cause I cannot find the "sweet spot" as you name it. Scr-a-a-a-a-tches like cat paws.

Bruce. I love Stubs. Tell us, tell us!!!! I am waiting for your REVELATION.

Edited by Oldtimer

Re: obliques or "relief" as Esterbrook terms obliques. These are left obliques, generally better for right handed writers. The slant on a left oblique is the slant of your toes on your left foot. The reverse for a right oblique -- slants like the toes of your right foot.

Obliques are esteemed by the "wise" of pen use. Personally I don't like them much, but the 9314-B broad left oblique has more front end to work with and it might be easier to find the best writing angle. It makes a dramatic statement on paper, like the 2284/9284 broad stub.

I have used all of these, 9314-F, 9314-M, 9314-B, 2284, 9284, 2312, 9312. I don't d so well with broad nibs, but the 2284/9284 are fun nibs. I prefer the 2312 and 9312. They are not quite as broad as the 2284/9284 and are more like a cursive italic. I was lucky enough to find them reasonably priced or in pens. When I use an Esterbrook any more, it is likely to be one of mine with the 9460, 2284, 9284, 2312 or 9312.

The flexes are stiff for a flexible nib and take effort. I think they are nice, stiff fine nibs. If you want flex, get a pen with a true flexible nib. I think the people at Esterbrook who termed their nibs "flexible or as "extra flexible fine" were jokesters of the highest rank.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

Really, don't like flex, real ones not worth the price for me. How much am I going to write that way? Not much. I am a practical person. Got stiff flex and it is too much work. Got an Ahab to try it, had to discard it, had a defective nib. Got a replacement, still harsh. Have a Namiki Falcon that is supposedly stiff flex, doesn't work for me. True flex? Maybe some time in the far away future. Prefer straight stubs and slanted nibs. The one that I have has a "left foot" slant and I am right handed.

Edited by Oldtimer

Posted today in the Stub O' The Day thread.

EstieQuasiStub2.jpg

EstieQuasiStub3.jpg

Friday afternoon, I had 2 of the Venus Broads in my cart at Anderson's pens and I really didn't notice how many they had left. Then my pooder got a little wonky and I rebooted and then got busy doing other things. Late that night, I went back to order my 2 again. Except now, there was only ONE left. :crybaby: Little did I know then that earlier in the day, after I'd told the person this pen will be going to about how GREAT her choice of this nib was, she had ordered 2 of them herself and Even More graciously allowed me to keep the one of her that I'm testing now.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

EstieQuasiStub2.jpg

EstieQuasiStub3.jpg

Friday afternoon, I had 2 of the Venus Broads in my cart at Anderson's pens and I really didn't notice how many they had left. Then my pooder got a little wonky and I rebooted and then got busy doing other things. Late that night, I went back to order my 2 again. Except now, there was only ONE left. :crybaby: Little did I know then that earlier in the day, after I'd told the person this pen will be going to about how GREAT her choice of this nib was, she had ordered 2 of them herself and Even More graciously allowed me to keep the one of hers that I'm testing now.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

Really, don't like flex, real ones not worth the price for me. How much am I going to write that way? Not much. I am a practical person. Got stiff flex and it is too much work. Got an Ahab to try it, had to discard it, had a defective nib. Got a replacement, still harsh. Have a Namiki Falcon that is supposedly stiff flex, doesn't work for me. True flex? Maybe some time in the far away future. Prefer straight stubs and slanted nibs. The one that I have has a "left foot" slant and I am right handed.

I don't like flex either. All the herd moos and baas for flex, though. I just thought I would state that the couple of Esterbrook "flexible" nibs I had tried took a lot of effort. I am left handed, and I don't do flex. I have a couple of actual flexible nib pens, and I try a very light touch to just have them write fine. Pushing a real flexible nib across the page makes for bent flexy nibs.

EstieQuasiStub2.jpg

EstieQuasiStub3.jpg

Friday afternoon, I had 2 of the Venus Broads in my cart at Anderson's pens and I really didn't notice how many they had left. Then my pooder got a little wonky and I rebooted and then got busy doing other things. Late that night, I went back to order my 2 again. Except now, there was only ONE left. :crybaby: Little did I know then that earlier in the day, after I'd told the person this pen will be going to about how GREAT her choice of this nib was, she had ordered 2 of them herself and Even More graciously allowed me to keep the one of hers that I'm testing now.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

The writing with this broad nib looks like just that to me, broad nib writing. Maybe it has some line variation, but it's not very dramatic, but some broad nibs are stubby, especially stuff like Pelikan BBB nibs. I don't know, maybe all broad nibs have stubbiness in them. This plodding-along writer has had enough broad nibs in pens to have seen a number of little ink pools on pages I have written, but this nib could be stubby. I have one B nib which is stubby with a bit of CI upside down that must have have been ground on purpose. Could have been a nonconformist at the Venus factory who made some to be stubby.