The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Cobalt Blue - Graf Von Faber - Castell

graf von faber-castell

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:38

Hi, I'd like to present you another review that I've made for polish fountain pen forum - that's why the text is not written in english. I'd love to prepare new scans (in english this time) but I don't have time. Anyway, I hope at least some of you will find it useful even tough you won't - probably - understand the text as polish is not the most popular language to learn  :) But then I believe the colors have language of their own.

I'm huge fan of GvFC products. Cobalt Blue hasn't disappointed me even though blue is not my favourite color. It's good ink with good properties, a bit pricey, yes. But it's worth the money you pay for it.

q1h6.jpg

k6xo.jpg

DRY TIME

uus8c.jpg

Waterproof

mw9ye.jpg

SCANS

Calendar

8s7j.jpg

skxs.jpg

qem6.jpg

dod29.jpg

Notebook

iu9m.jpg

slly.jpg

s5n4.jpg

y5gx.jpg

RHODIA

zjijp.jpg

muev.jpg

0n32.jpg

dsnb.jpg

f6pk9.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,229 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 July 2014 - 17:41

Thank you!!! Excellent review as always. Everything fits in nicely with my own findings. I have and love all 6. iMO one of the best companies today.

Whew!

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

#3 mazinger55

mazinger55

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:41

Thank you for these perfect pics, do you know if this in fades or maintain their original color?

#4 dneal

dneal

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:17

Thank you for these perfect pics, do you know if this in fades or maintain their original color?

Assuming you don't mean when it's exposed to constant sunlight (most inks fade); then my experience is that it does keep its color.

#5 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:59

I have this ink and I admit it's the only ink I bought because I really like the bottle.

Up to now I've only tried it with a F nib pen but it might be worth a try in one with a broader nib.

As far as price goes, it might seem expensive but it is a 75ml bottle. So per ml it isn't as expensive as you might think

#6 meiers

meiers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,512 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 July 2014 - 13:01

Thank you for sharing. I was wondering about this ink. Looks like a must-have.

#7 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 16,164 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 July 2014 - 14:30

Interesting.  It seems *really* dependent on the paper and pen used.  The chromatography splotch made me expect it to be more teal, the spatter photo made me think darker blue.  The photo of the dry time made it look more blue violet, as did the sample on Rhodia, but the sample on notebook paper made it look bluer (what I think of when I think "cobalt"), and the sample on the calendar had it leaning more blue black.

I may have to think about this one at some point....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#8 Morbus Curiositas

Morbus Curiositas

Inkoholic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 July 2014 - 15:38

Very nice blue and as always a very nice review....

I believe those bottles are pretty too. Can you tell me what the price is?

I recently became a huge fan of your superb review work... Thanks for all the good stuff

Peter

ps In the suggestions underneath this article I saw your review of Moss Green and ten red inks... Must check that now...

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

Tricked throughout the centuries...

For centuries people had been tricked by kings & "religion-alism"

In the 20th century people got tricked by communism

Today people get tricked by (neo)capitalism  :) 

#9 praxim

praxim

On twig

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,004 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2016 - 00:51

Carried from a conversation started in the thread What pens are you using today 2016

First of all, it's terribly dry, causing skips & hard starts. Second of all, the colour is too boring. I coped with both problems last night, pulling out the cardtridge (no mess!) and adding a few drops of Visconti Turquoise. Much lovelier shade of blue, no flow issues anymore. I must add that the fine nib (pretty wet one) performed flawlessly with the previous ink.

OK. I have used it in two Dupont pens both with medium nib (a Montparnasse and an Orient Express), where it is very well behaved. The colour is better in the wetter Montparnasse.

Given other commentary in reviews of the ink, I gather it is considered a little dry so I will keep it out of F nibs and vintage Watermans. On the other hand, it might just be a solution for my sloppy M nib GvFC Intuition :). Otherwise I was going to try one of Robert Oster's rarer colours in it; they are dry.

I agree with some other commentary here. The ink has no pop, especially compared with vivid Visconti Blue, but makes a good slightly darker shade than Waterman Blue without the green tinges of Waterman Blue-Black. It goes nicely on documents. I expect that when I eventually finish this bottle, I will get another.

Anyone owning three or more working pens is in no position to disparage choices by others.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: graf von faber-castell

Sponsored Content

|