The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Twsbi Micarta V2 Review

twsbi micarta v2 pendleton brown

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 BlakeNole

BlakeNole

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:08

Thanks for the excellent review. And thanks everyone for your comments.

Does the odor of the pen diminish? BlakeNote, was the flow problem resolvable? Has anyone else had that problem?

The odor does diminish over time, however, I will say that mine was of terrible out of the box. I was using Diamine salamander initially when I was having flow issues. I subsequently tried de Atramentis Atlantic blue and it is much improved. I usually have decent to good flow with all Diamine inks, which is what concerns me. I think I will also give a bit better converter a shot. Thanks, all!

Sponsored Content

#22 I.M.

I.M.

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2014 - 13:37

Nice review, it's good to see somebody singing praises for this pen. It's a shame not many others have, it might have prevented this pen's path towards extinction :(

I too have this pen, and love it, it's one of my favourites. If forced to look for a nit to pick, my only complaint (and it's not even that really, it's a nit) is that this pen guzzles ink like nobody's business. It's the wettest writer I have in my modest collection. I've had absolutely no flow issues, and I can even leave the pen uncapped for an hour or more without the nib drying out.

At first I was a little apprehensive about the grip section staining when filling directly from the bottle, but providing I wipe off directly after inking I've had no problems whatsoever. I have still steered away from using inks known to stain just to be on the safe side. My Micarta loves Herbin's Bleu Nuit which is a relatively dark ink, and the grip section still has its original shade of brown without any stains.

And as for the smell, it's long gone. I kind of miss it sometimes.

#23 Mesu

Mesu

Searching for the perfect blue ink..

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 13:51

Thanks for the review. 

Is it possible to remove the ink stains from the section?

#24 Hallel

Hallel

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 July 2014 - 21:08

This looks great. I've been pondering a PB pen and reviews like this one make me want to go for the Micarta
The praise of the praiseworthy is above all rewards.

#25 Swordfish23

Swordfish23

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 October 2014 - 01:32

Is there anywhere else to obtain this pen? So unfortunate to hear it was discontinued and before I could go and buy one.

#26 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 October 2014 - 02:12

Is there anywhere else to obtain this pen? So unfortunate to hear it was discontinued and before I could go and buy one.

From hereon in, I think it's a matter of keeping an eye out for second hand and/or NOS.  It looks to me, though, like some of their newer designs (check out their Facebook page) are modeled on the Micarta, even though they're using different materials.  I was tempted, but couldn't justify the purchase.  My next TWSBI (probably) will be a Mini Vac, or a Vac 700...

#27 maverink

maverink

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:59

you can buy it from http://www.thewritin...icarta&cat=pens

Pilot custom heritage 74 all nibs, 742 Fa and PO nibs, 823 F 92 F,M, 3776 FM,EF,1911F
And all indian pens

#28 crazypen80

crazypen80

Near Mint

• Away
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 12:29

can you get a gold nib for it?

#29 Swordfish23

Swordfish23

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 October 2014 - 17:52

Jamerelbe: Thank you, I'll be looking around. Yes the newer pictures released look great I'm looking forward to more information.
Maverink: Thank you for the link! Good to see some still in stock, even overseas.

#30 jmeldorf

jmeldorf

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2014 - 22:53

I love the TWSBI quality and micarta is one of my favorite substances, being a hunter and outdoorsman. Can any still be purchased?

#31 23Larsen

23Larsen

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:11

Yes, you can still find some here: 

http://www.thewritin...icarta&cat=pens

(maverink posted the same link just a few posts above) 

:)

#32 Swordfish23

Swordfish23

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 October 2014 - 20:42

Great! Thanks to you both, very glad I can still save up to buy one.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: twsbi, micarta, v2, pendleton brown

Sponsored Content

|