Platinum Carbon Ink In Other Pens

4x4xpens

Hi all,

This past weekend I had my first real use of Platinum Carbon Ink. Initially I ordered the desk pen with a few cartridges just to try it out, however I fell in love with the ink and am looking to find a way to make this ink suitable for use on the move by putting it into a different pen.

The huge disclaimers on the websites that sell this ink suggest that the Platinum Carbon Desk pen is the only pen this ink should be used with and it's physically different somehow to accommodate this ink but I have the impression that others use the ink without issue in other pens albeit no specific pen recommendations I can find.

I tend to be a bit messy working with bottled ink and frequently end up with my hands/fingers covered in ink when filling converters. Don't get me wrong, bottled ink is my preference but for now I'm just using Carbon in cartridges.

I've ordered a Platinum Cool to try exclusively with Platinum Carbon Black, it seems to have quite an open feed (for scrubbing) that runs along the top of the fins all of which you can see as the pen is a clear demonstrator. It seems to be possible from the videos I've seen to disassemble this pen completely for cleaning (remove the feed and nib) so with the compatibility with cartridges added this seems like a good pen to test the ink's compatibility with other pens.

I'm just wondering though, has anyone else tried this ink/pen combination and have any feedback on how it went? Or are there any other pen recommendations that have been tried and worked successfully long term with the ink?

Any advice or comments much apprecaited

AJ

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4x4xpens

• plumista

• FPFan

• Komitadjie

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm... it seems to me that you already know all that you need to know about the Platinum Carbon ink.

So nothing to add about the additional care this ink requires.

As for its use in other pens, so far I have filled with this ink (definitely one of my favorite blacks) any of my pens, regardsless of their price or value, and I have nothing to report: the ink is perfectly safe (with the caveat mentioned) inside any pen.

plumista

Thanks for responding Plumista.

How long have you left it in any pens unused for?

Have you ever tried it in a Vanishing Point/Capless?

The pens I fill with any ink I find prone to "thick" flow (e.g. Sailor Sei-Boku, or old Lamy Blue-Black, or R&K Scabiosa) are serviced with acceptance of the characteristics of those inks. Nothing less, nothing more.

Therefore for me is enough not to forget the type of ink I am using.

I mean, the pens with Waterman turquoise ink for example will most probably write again immediately, though the pen has been left unused for a couple of weeks, perhaps on a lazy rotation. But the Platinum Carbon usually does not allow so, that´s why I use those pens with those inks all the time from full to empty, I do not rotate them when filled, I do not left them unused for.

As for the use on VP, yes, for me (with the implied maintenance and the way I see things) there is no difference. Not for the VP, nor the Fermo, nor the Lamy Dialog3: all are filled up with "thick" inks when the whim commands so...

My advice, in brief: enjoy this ink, learn in the way, find your own perspective!

plumista

Edited by plumista

Platinum Carbon Black is a mainstay in my rotation. it is always in at least one pen. I have used it in many different brands and find it not much more troublesome than any other highly saturated inks. I have found that I prefer it in a c/c filler better than in piston fillers or lever pens. I find that if after about 3-4 carts full if I soak the nib section in RAPIDO-EZE that the nib seems to come as clean as it was when it was started. I think this is just a precaution that I take to hopefully minimize any build up of the ink as I do not own a sonic cleaner. It has worked for me for years with the one pen I have used it most predominantly in, which is a Nakaya Kuri-Taminuri cigar. They were made to go hand in hand with each other. I got the pen directly from Nakaya on their first visit to the US at the Chicago Pen Show sometime mid last decade. I don't remember the year. The nibmeister they brought with them cut a channel in the feed with a razor blade that helps to prevent a build up of the ink, I think. However, I have acquired other pens without the channel slit that use the ink well, also. Sailors and Nakayas, to be precise. As long as I have been using Carbon ink I have had zero problems.

There are other threads that discuss the use of Platinum carbon and the other pigmented inks by them and the Sailor Sebu-ko and Kira-goa [? spelling] Look for the other threads and you will find stories of other users who have had no problems with these inks either.

Pick a pen and go to town. I love the ink!

Example: I used the ink last weekend to send post cards from a vacation trip I took. Semi-gloss cards, Carbon ink. On the way to find the post office the convertible I was riding in started to leak in a heavy thunder storm with hail and all that entails, to of my cards had fallen on the floor and got soaking wet and one stepped on! When they went into the mail they were still as perfect (except for the creases) as the moment I wrote them.

Fair winds and following seas.

The Platinum Carbon Black is my daily-use ink in my fine-nib Vanishing Point. I love the stuff, I just make sure to give my pen a good flush once a week (on fridays, same time I top up my fill for the next week) and don't let it dry out in the pen.

I might be a BIT hesitant to use it in a pen I can't either break all the way down for cleaning, or run lots and lots of water through easily. But I have no problems with it in my VP, and I absolutely love the total, jet-black of it. Plus, it has very good feather-resistance for me, on the paper we use at work.

Well the Cool has arrived and it seems to write wonderfully with carbon ink and looks cool as my first actual demonstrator. You can see the cartridge in there with the Carbon Ink lettering!

I'm loving it.

Thanks for the information all, it's good to know others have tried and are enjoying this ink in other pens without issue.