Excessive Writing With Fountain Pens & Paper Under $100

Glinzan

@The Blue Knight - These notebooks are pretty awesome. I'm going to try and search for the ones that are unruled. I like the freedom of writing and occasionally sketching and putting my artistic abilities to good use.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Glinzan

• napalm

• logantrky

• The Blue Knight

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ha, ha, ha! I wish I could overlook the PhD, but a philosopher will likely get no where without one. My academic future depends on it.

Well, Plato never had a Ph.D., but he opened what in all likelihood was the first University, and he made money off a whole lot of students who were trying to get Ph.D.s. And that's why Plato could afford so many fountain pens.

http://i59.tinypic.com/ekfh5f.jpg

Will you be at a desk most of the time or is portability a requirement.

This splits into 2 directions

- If desk, then a desk set

- If portability, then a standard clip pen, or a desk pen with a cap

I say this because depending on your process a desk pen can be quite nice to use. I prefer to use a desk pen than a clip pen, as it just feels better in my hand. But the obvious issue is a desk pen with a base is a stationary device, that base is not goina move as it is BULKY.

There is an in-between option the Pilot 200 desk pen and Lamy Joy. Both of these are desk pens but they use a cap, so you can put it into a case and take it with you. Neither is a pocket pen (despite the clip on the cap of the Joy) because they are LONG.

The Joy has the + and - of the Safari; interchangeable nibs from XF to B and 1.1 to 1.9 italic and the flat grip of the Safari that you either like or hate. I happen to like the grip of the Joy.

I see you like an open nib, vs a hooded nib.

Me, I use both, but I do like the look of an open nib, so I can look at the nib.

In your career, you indicate you will be writing a LOT.

I recommend that you think real hard about the fit of the pen; size and weight.

I was brought up in the twilight age of fountain pens, so I used slim to medium diameter pens, nothing over 12mm diameter, better down at 10mm. And weight below 20 grams, most below 15 grams. This size and weight lets me write for a LONG time without my hand getting tired of holding the pen. I've done a few 2hr + writing sessions, and my hand was just fine after. I could not do 30 min with some of the fatter/heavier pens of today.

As for paper, let me start of by saying "I'm CHEAP."

I use a lot of the Brazil notebooks, composition books, and filler paper. Cuz it is really cheap in the back to school sales.

I also use blank printer paper; HP 32# Premium, Hammermill 28# Color Copy Digital, Stapes 20# Sustainable Earth (sugar cane)

- The Brazil comp books have been a disapointment. There is inconsistent paper quality between pages and even on the same page.

- My choice is the Staples Brazil spiral bound 1-subject notebooks, and the Stapes Brazil filler paper.

- The Staples 20# Sustainable Earth sugar cane paper was a surprise. It stands up to all the pen and inks that I used on it (except for 1 odd ink). The only downside is...no lines on the paper. So you have to use a guidesheet or print lines on the paper.

I'm glad you found an ink you like.

Here is my process.

I have both Waterman (wet ink) and Cross/Pelikan (dry ink).

When I get a new pen, I put Waterman into it. Then I observe how the pen writes.

If it is too WET, then I switch ink to Cross, to slow down the ink flow.

This works fine for blue or black.

But when you have a specialty ink color, well you are on a different path to determine how it works in your pen, and what pen adjustments you need to make to use that ink. Some adjustments are simple, others difficult.

gud luk

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

AC12, I would like to thank you for your response. To answer your question, I prefer portability and love pens I can take with me on the go. I want a pen that not only writes well, but one that is aesthetically pleasing.

Your right about the dimensions of a pen. My preference is longer, thinner fountain pens. I remember when I first purchased a woman's jaded Sheaffer fountain pen with a fine gold nib on eBay. I wrote for about three to three and a half hours with it without breaking a sweat.

As for paper, I want to like the Rhodia notebooks, I really do, but something about them puts me off--perhaps it's the staple connecting the pages; it's conspicuous and gives the notebook a lackluster feeling. I want a notebook that can withstand wet inks as well as the harsh conditions of a messenger bag or a backpack in motion.

Sotto2, I appreciate the insight. Indeed, Plato was one of the first people to create an academic institution. He called it the Academy. And no, he did not have a Ph.D (ha, ha). The claim I make about writing plenty comes from the fact that I not only am a student of philosophy where writing is a necessity, but I write short stories from time to time and would someday like to write a novel(s). The thought of a hand cramp after a long session of writing isn't desirable. Kafka wrote "The Hunger Artist" in one sitting. Imagine how his hand must have felt afterward.

Edited by Glinzan

Well, Plato never had a Ph.D., but he opened what in all likelihood was the first University, and he made money off a whole lot of students who were trying to get Ph.D.s. And that's why Plato could afford so many fountain pens.

Well, and the Syracuse king adviser too.

I'm going to try and put pictures of my vintage pens up before the end of the day. Most, if not all, of my vintage fountain pens need repairing. I don't know if I should have them repaired or sell them for whatever they are worth and go on to purchase newer pens.

After reading your post, I began eyeing the Pilot 95S on JetPens.com. Reminds me of the Sheaffer Imperial series.

Also a not so obvious advantage: due to its peculiar design, it has a very long smooth, slightly flared section. Thus your fingers will never sit on threads, rings etc. For long, sustained writing -> priceless.

Edited by napalm

Also a not so obvious advantage: due to its peculiar design, it has a very long smooth, slightly flared section. Thus your fingers will never sit on threads, rings etc. For long, sustained writing -> priceless.

That makes sense. I have a Wing Sung 233 with the same Sheaffer Imperial look and feel and doesn't seem to cause my fingers to slide. I like your recommendation Napalm. Many thanks!

Hey guys, thought I would add a few more pictures of the pens that I own. I'll try and put some more when I get home.

1. The first picture is of a J. Herbin Jotter pen that uses fountain pen cartridges and converters.

2. The second picture is of a Wing Sung 233.

3. The third picture is a Sheaffer Demonstrator with a fine point nib.

4. The fourth picture is of a Parker Jotter with the backdrop of my journal--a small portion of it.

Enjoy!

post-48642-0-68812000-1404140253_thumb.jpeg

post-48642-0-50443700-1404140259_thumb.jpeg

post-48642-0-99827300-1404140265_thumb.jpeg

post-48642-0-04103700-1404140282_thumb.jpeg

That makes sense. I have a Wing Sung 233 with the same Sheaffer Imperial look and feel and doesn't seem to cause my fingers to slide. I like your recommendation Napalm. Many thanks!

You're welcome! the 95s is my daily writer. few more words:

- it can be had from ebay just under $100 from serious Japanese sellers (100% positive feedback);

- although also available in EF, I'd recommend F nib for plain text writing (i have an EF for technical/math notes, but I prefer F for plain text, it feels smoother, with effortless glide on paper); EF should be investigated for technical/sketch purpose or if you use small notebooks/paper with small sized writing.

- although I already mentioned the slip-on cap - I'll do it again - the cap is slip-on, with no click. it makes no noise when inserted/removed, and there's nothing to wear/malfunction as in the "click" mechanisms. No pen jerking when removing it either.

- the pen is designed to be used with the cap posted; it is possible to write with cap unposted, but not for extended periods - the pen alone is too short for that

You may also want to consider the Italix line of pens from MrPen in England. The Parsons Essential gets rave reviews from just about everyone who uses it. They also have the Churchman's Prescriptor and Captain's Commission which are a little more expensive, but all are under $100 shipped to the U.S. and are very nice looking, smooth writing pens.

You may also want to consider the Italix line of pens from MrPen in England. The Parsons Essential gets rave reviews from just about everyone who uses it. They also have the Churchman's Prescriptor and Captain's Commission which are a little more expensive, but all are under $100 shipped to the U.S. and are very nice looking, smooth writing pens.

Hi EJKorvette! I saw the pens and think they look fantastic and seem to around my price range.

Ha, ha, ha! I wish I could overlook the PhD, but a philosopher will likely get no where without one. My academic future depends on it.

But do remember that you now have greater academic freedom to follow your curiosity than you may ever have again. Enjoy the journey to your PhD. As for Socrates, we recently went to a performance of Aristophanes' Clouds :lol: .

Maybe the best pen/paper combination would be one you don't really notice when the ideas come too fast to do anything more than scribble them down and hope you can read it all later. Look for just the right amount of feedback from the paper and plenty of ink capacity. You may already have the answer in your TWSBI - maybe get another one and have two colours inked at the same time for note-taking and note revising? Perhaps an XF so you can write smaller when annotating your own stuff and printed papers, filling the F with a 'standard' colour and the XF with something that really stands out?

Edited by PDW

Just my 2 cents here . . I have been working on modding Konrads and Ahabs but an ink that does really well about not feathering for me even on cheaper paper (except with flexing and even then is usually fairly minimal) is Noodler's X-feather just something to consider if your going to have to write on cheap paper at school.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/268840-modded-noodlers-konrad/?p=3037429

There is the proof of my work

I'm using Rhodia paper with sharp scratchy nibs.

@The Blue Knight - These notebooks are pretty awesome. I'm going to try and search for the ones that are unruled. I like the freedom of writing and occasionally sketching and putting my artistic abilities to good use.

FYI: FedEx Office (formerly Kinko's) seem to carry Black and Red spirals also; given that many are open 24/7 something to keep in mind in a pinch!

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

I recommend the Pilot 91. You can get a good deal from this website: http://www.engeika.com/

Also the Pilot 91 comes with some unique nibs such as the soft fine.

I recently bought my and my wife vanishing points and the 91 from the site. Took awhile to ship due to the soft fine nib.

Richards Pens offers an excellent writeup on inks. If you use pens with sacs (quite a few vintage pens, plus some new ones use those) I'd definitely recommend reading what Richard Binder has to say on inks that work well with sacs and those that don't.

Posted Image

Hi guys, I want to thank you ago for keeping the conversation going. I have read all recent posts with enthusiasm and would like to share my own wiring style. The picture I submit is one of my Wing Sung 233, a fairly cheap pen and a derivative from the Hero pen company-I think that's correct but, if not, please feel free to correct me. I've been using the pen for about five months now and love it. Its cost $6.99 on eBay and at times feels scratchy, but I'm an admirer of its Sheaffer-like design.