Opalescent Fountain Pen Ink?

sotto2

They went out today. You are welcome.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sotto2

• Sinistral1

• amberleadavis

• disillusion

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And, here is a sample of Private Reserve Avocado ink from a Pelikan M215 B on Amberlea's pearlescent metal flaky paper--awesome:

http://i59.tinypic.com/30bpeuc.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/ekfh5f.jpg

Oooh - ahhh!

I found some ink on a Japanese web site - Syuppin Co., Ltd.jp. It's called "Rubinato", and is sold by Kingdom Note. To me, it looked like they had gold and silver, plus lots of other colors. The only problem is that I can't read Japanese, so I can't tell if it is fountain pen friendly.

m.jpg

It's also over $30 per bottle, so it's not inexpensive. And, Kingdom Note does not ship overseas - they are located in Japan. It's always something, isn't it?

Edited by Sinistral1

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

Oooh - ahhh!

I found some ink on a Japanese web site - Syuppin Co., Ltd.jp. It's called "Rubinato", and is sold by Kingdom Note. To me, it looked like they had gold and silver, plus lots of other colors. The only problem is that I can't read Japanese, so I can't tell if it is fountain pen friendly.

m.jpg

It's also over $30 per bottle, so it's not inexpensive. And, Kingdom Note does not ship overseas - they are located in Japan. It's always something, isn't it?

I believe it is actually Italian. Not sure how to get it though. http://www.rubinato.it/products/index.html

But this Rakuten store also have it and you can always use something like Tenso to purchase.

Oh, the Rakuten page says it is fountain pen friendly.

Edited by disillusion

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

Instagram

I just did some searching on the internet and this company - Francesco Rubinato - looks like it has a pretty good sized selection of different types of ink. My sense is that some of them are fountain pen friendly and others are meant only for use with dip pens, glass pens, etc. Something tells me that the metalic/pearle ones are not. I wish I was wrong, but I've been on the quest for pearlized and metalic ink since my first tiny bottle of Sanford silver we used to write captions in the black paged scrapbooks my grandmother used in the 60s and 70s. We bought it at Woolworths or Ben Franklin and it came with a little (turquoise) plastic handled dip pen. That "ink" was more like paint, it dried really fast and was a pain to use for any large amount of writing. The quest continues!

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

Thanks Sinistral1 for that ink info. That Rubinato website is pretty darn interesting, in general, too.

So now I'm going to get a bottle! I just have to pick a color. Atsu says it is fountain pen friendly, at least the bottle I attached a photo to in my email to him. It's scented, too. The bottle reminds me of a Pelikan Edelstein bottle, with the thick sides. It's different than the bottle I put in my post above, straighter sides and thicker glass. He said it looks like a perfume bottle - can't go wrong with that!

Edited by Sinistral1

So now I'm going to get a bottle! I just have to pick a color. Atsu says it is fountain pen friendly, at least the bottle I attached a photo to in my email to him. It's scented, too. The bottle reminds me of a Pelikan Edelstein bottle, with the thick sides. It's different than the bottle I put in my post above, straighter sides and thicker glass. He said it looks like a perfume bottle - can't go wrong with that!

Please post a pic of a writing sample! Thanks.

WTB Sheaffer Balance oversized with a flex nib, semi flex, broad, or medium in carmine red or grey striated.

Wtb Sheaffer Pfm in black or blue with a medium or broad nib.

Here's what I decided on. It's gold metallic, and I'm making sure the bottle states that it's okay for fountain pens. I hope to use this ink to mix with other inks to create special effects. I'll try to post a writing sample after I get the ink. It's vanilla scented.

fpn_1404450469__image.jpg

Also, I would never put a waterproof liquid into one of my fountain pens.

Edited by Sinistral1

Thanks. Looking specifically for fountain pen ink only.

Here's what I decided on. It's gold metallic, and I'm making sure the bottle states that it's okay for fountain pens. I hope to use this ink to mix with other inks to create special effects. I'll try to post a writing sample after I get the ink. It's vanilla scented.

Mixed with other inks would be awesome. Looking forward to some examples.

This one? I think it says on the page "You can't use it with fountain pens". It is also "old leather" scented, am I looking at the wrong product?

Edited by disillusion

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

Instagram

I'd like to try a metallic/pearlescent ink too, but I don't think the pigments would stick to paper without using some glue/binding agent. The glue might cause problems in fountain pens especially if left to dry out. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

In the mean time I am probably just going to try gold or silver ink used for Chinese/Japanese calligraphy, hoping that they are more liquid and easier to use than paints.

Instagram

Thanks. Looking specifically for fountain pen ink only.

I101. Liquitex Acrylic Ink

Liquitex Acrylic Ink. 30ml bottle.

30 colors. Super fine pigments suspended in a state-of-the-art acrylic emulsion. Like all acrylics, they dry more quickly than traditional calligraphy inks. When dry, they are waterproof for calligraphy applications. Lightfast rating given for each color. Free flowing, no need to dilute for calligraphy, except the Iridescents (metallics) which you can thin with alcohol. Because they are pigmented ink, you will find some colors are superior in a pen than others.

As with all acrylic inks, use pen cleaner or ammonia in water to clean your pens.

Doesnt say fp or not, but it might have been an option.

Edited by amberleadavis
Removed cuss word.

WTB Sheaffer Balance oversized with a flex nib, semi flex, broad, or medium in carmine red or grey striated.

I101. Liquitex Acrylic Ink

Liquitex Acrylic Ink. 30ml bottle.

30 colors. Super fine pigments suspended in a state-of-the-art acrylic emulsion. Like all acrylics, they dry more quickly than traditional calligraphy inks. When dry, they are waterproof for calligraphy applications. Lightfast rating given for each color. Free flowing, no need to dilute for calligraphy, except the Iridescents (metallics) which you can thin with alcohol. Because they are pigmented ink, you will find some colors are superior in a pen than others.

As with all acrylic inks, use pen cleaner or ammonia in water to clean your pens.

Doesnt say fp or not, but it might have been an option. No need to be an ass.

Oh, an *** wouldn't have said "thanks". :)

Oh, an *** wouldn't have said "thanks". :)

LOL no Problem .I will keep my eyes out for FP ink like that and see if I can find anything. Would a highly pigmented ink with metalic flake do the trick?

LOL no Problem .I will keep my eyes out for FP ink like that and see if I can find anything. Would a highly pigmented ink with metalic flake do the trick?

Cool, thanks. I'm not certain of this, but I believe that pigments and FPs generally don't play well together. At least that's the impression I've been left with after some casual reading.

Did I mention my 40+ year (unsuccessful) quest for this product? I've gone through three steeds and two knaves along the way - slackers!

Anyway, it's all about the size of the shiny particles AND how to get them to permanently bond to the paper. Both of those issues preclude all the products I have found from being fountain pen friendly. :( That's not a problem for dip (i.e. calligraphy) pens, because the ink doesn't go from a reservoir and through a section, so it can't get stuck or dry out in a bunch of impossible to clean out spots and ruin your pen. Dip pen nibs are inexpensive and easily replaced.

If and when somebody somewhere in the world finally figures this problem out, believe me, there will be an ad for the product on the Sony jumbotron in Times Square!

Thank goodness most ink makers warn users if their product should not be used in fountain pens. No acrylic products (non water based) ink can be used in a fountain pen, unless you want to ruin it. It's why a lot of cool ink sets are sold with a dip or quill pen, and the instructions tell you not to use the ink in a fountain pen. Here's what the text was on the web page:

本物の香水のような可愛らしいガラス瓶に入っています。封を切っていないインクは冷蔵保存で何年も品質が保てます。万年筆には使用出来ません。ガラスペンなどの付けペン用としてご使用下さい。

※この商品の沖縄・離島へのお届けは、航空輸送の液体類持ち込み制限により船便での発送となる為、5~10日掛かります。

また、お届け日のご指定はお受けできません。

何卒ご了承下さいませ

Finally, the writing sample shows promise that the ink is very lowly saturated and not packed with particles - hopefully water based, too.

fpn_1404485880__image.jpg

My fingers are crossed!

Edited by Sinistral1

Did I mention my 40+ year (unsuccessful) quest for this product? I've gone through three steeds and two knaves along the way - slackers!

Anyway, it's all about the size of the shiny particles AND how to get them to permanently bond to the paper. Both of those issues preclude all the products I have found from being fountain pen friendly. :( That's not a problem for dip (i.e. calligraphy) pens, because the ink doesn't go from a reservoir and through a section, so it can't get stuck or dry out in a bunch of impossible to clean out spots and ruin your pen. Dip pen nibs are inexpensive and easily replaced.

If and when somebody somewhere in the world finally figures this problem out, believe me, there will be an ad for the product on the Sony jumbotron in Times Square!

Thank goodness most ink makers warn users if their product should not be used in fountain pens. No acrylic products (non water based) ink can be used in a fountain pen, unless you want to ruin it. It's why a lot of cool ink sets are sold with a dip or quill pen, and the instructions tell you not to use the ink in a fountain pen. Here's what the text was on the web page:

本物の香水のような可愛らしいガラス瓶に入っています。封を切っていないインクは冷蔵保存で何年も品質が保てます。万年筆には使用出来ません。ガラスペンなどの付けペン用としてご使用下さい。

※この商品の沖縄・離島へのお届けは、航空輸送の液体類持ち込み制限により船便での発送となる為、5~10日掛かります。

また、お届け日のご指定はお受けできません。

何卒ご了承下さいませ

Finally, the writing sample shows promise that the ink is very lowly saturated and not packed with particles - hopefully water based, too.

fpn_1404485880__image.jpg

My fingers are crossed!

Hey Sinistral1: Could you pls try changing the light angle on those photos. They're a bit pale-ish. And thanks for your input!