Greyish-Brownish-Purple Ink?

Josey

I'm seeking inks that match this color

(Image from All Lacquered Up):

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u130/joseymc/Josey%20Gaia%20Avi%20Art/chanel-particuliere-le-impressions-de-chanel_zps6a040e90.jpg?t=1403874591

I've looked up all sorts of swatches on Goulet Pens but I couldn't tell if any of them were distinctly grey-brown-purple. Unusual color, I know!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tas

• amberleadavis

• Josey

• ENewton

No doubt whatsoever: Herbin Cacao de Bresil

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

Difficult one. This is probably an enamel color, and have a completely different composition than inks. Behaviors we value and love in FP inks. such as shading and sheen will not work for manicures. For FP inks to work, they have to be dark because they are primarily based on water. Otherwise they become too light to read.

Having said all of that, I would offer Iroshizuku Tsukuji as a possible candidate. It's a mid brown with a purple sheen. However, not as light as the picture, and the sheen only apparent with a very broad pen on Rhodia paper. Otherwise it looks just like a mid brown ink.

Difficult one. This is probably an enamel color, and have a completely different composition than inks. Behaviors we value and love in FP inks. such as shading and sheen will not work for manicures. For FP inks to work, they have to be dark because they are primarily based on water. Otherwise they become too light to read.

Having said all of that, I would offer Iroshizuku Tsukuji as a possible candidate. It's a mid brown with a purple sheen. However, not as light as the picture, and the sheen only apparent with a very broad pen on Rhodia paper. Otherwise it looks just like a mid brown ink.

Hmmm. Do you mean Tsukushi? Because it comes across as straight brown to me when I used it in a wet pen. Nice color otherwise (although Yama-guri has a little more of that "je nais ce quoi" to it that I prefer -- but not what the OP is looking for, I think).

Checked the Goulet website and using their comparison tool (I never look at the swabs, only at the actual written example above them as being a more accurate representation of the color when coming out of a pen) and you might have a look at Irohshizuku Kiri-same, although it might be a little too grey (or too light). Another possibility is R&K Sepia. De Atramentis Maron is a bit too greenish a sepia, but might be one to consider; Noodler's Whaleman's Sepia is more purply-brown but doesn't seem to have the grayish cast to it.

Ironically, I'm kinda getting this color out of my current fill of Noodler's El Lawrence. I'm not sure why -- same pen, same bottle, but this pen seems very diluted somehow. Not the dark but subtle ink I remember. I may have to shake it up before I refill....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I think Rohrer & Klingner Sepia might be a good one. Another possibility that's a bit more purple is Noodler's Nightshade.

+2

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

I actually bought this ink based on a bunch of examples I saw on the net, but during all of my paper tests it appeared golden brown and VERY light! :( bad batch maybe?

I actually bought this ink based on a bunch of examples I saw on the net, but during all of my paper tests it appeared golden brown and VERY light! :( bad batch maybe?

It looks different with every pen and with every paper I have ever tried -- kind of why I like it so much. Try a different pen and paper.

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

It looks different with every pen and with every paper I have ever tried -- kind of why I like it so much. Try a different pen and paper.

Darn...I already mixed it with a few other inks! I really like the result (a grey-brown, the shade I thought the ink would be in the first place!), but not purple-grey-brown...

+2

+3

+1

= 4

I have a love hate with it though. I use it I love it then I hate it, etc etc etc . . . :huh:

You need a wet pen, the ink itself is somewhat dry. Using it in a fine dry pen would yield poor results.

Josey, you may end up having to mix up your own ink to get exactly what you want. But it was fun to try to figure out what good possible matches would be (at least based on what the photo looks like on my screen) -- even if it's not a color I would ever want myself.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Must have been. I've only ever seen Cacao du Bresil as a milky mauve, gray, brown pinkish-purple.

Edited by Biber

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

Rohrer&Klingner Sepia

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)

If you look at the writing samples in reviews, Diamine Macassar is similar. At least on my monitor.

A little too dark I think . . . :mellow:

http://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_macassar_swatch.jpg

Here's my Cacao de Brazil but it's a tricky one to capture.

http://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_cacao_de_brazil.jpg

Tas, lovely post! Thanks!!

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)