The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Reasons Not To Get A Mb 149

149 mb purchase new

• Please log in to reply
194 replies to this topic

#141 Brian K

Brian K

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:53

I would not buy a 149 today for one reason - even a used one would be too expensive for me. Another reason that occurs to me is that unless you are fairly handy it is not a pen that is easy for the owner to service (this reason, of course, would knock a lot of pens out of the running if you were looking for something to tinker with as well as a writing instrument).

Some 30 years or so ago, however, I had more disposable income than I do now and I was able to purchase a 149 for the then princely sum of $279. (Just before they made the mistake of switching to 18k nibs.) It was my daily carry pen for 20+ years and it has been sturdy and reliable all this time. I have not abandoned it but have also discovered the joys of some much less expensive pens (such as the very reliable Parker 45, which even an idiot can completely dis- and re-assemble for maintainance and cleaning) and have given it some time to rest occasionally. The last such period lasted several months and when I picked it up I discovered I had forgotten to empty and rinse it before storage - oh my! Just for the heck of it I tried writing with it before cleaning it out and it wrote just as quickly and easily as if it had only been capped for ten minutes. I have dropped it, kicked it and neglected it and have only had to have minor maintenance once since I bought it. I guess that's another reasonnot to buy one - if you need to have a pen you need to fuss overand baby the 149 will disappoint.

Regards,

Brian
Grace and Peace are already yours because God is the Creator of all of life and Jesus Christ the Redeemer of each and every life.

Sponsored Content

#142 sotto2

sotto2

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:05

:D   you know...I re-read what I wrote and I do apologise if it came across the wrong way....it was a genuine question as I was puzzled by your comment.  Glad I help save you a few quid! :lol:

No worries. You were quite right. I will stop short, though, of saying that I will not even take a Montblanc if someone gives one to me. :)

Edited by sotto2, 03 July 2014 - 02:05.

ekfh5f.jpg

#143 FriendAmos

FriendAmos

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:20

Someday, I hope to get a Montblanc that I really like. I have 3, and all have had (or developed) serious issues. The two ballpoints have developed serious 1" cracks in the resin up near the pocket clips, and my Starwalker wrote as dry as a Sahara summer before I mucked around with the nib, and to this day, if I screw the cap on even half way securely, it becomes stuck like glue and the entire section unscrews from the barrel when I try to remove the cap. So I ain't buying any more Montblancs unless I see a real one for cheap at a garage sale.

As something to pick up cheaply at a garage sale, why not.  

#144 sotto2

sotto2

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,013 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:31

As something to pick up cheaply at a garage sale, why not.  

OK, twist my fat arm. I'm back in the market for garage sale MBs, and gifts from generous strangers. I'm a mere willow in the MB winds (ah, me).

ekfh5f.jpg

#145 Tritonus

Tritonus

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:32

OK, twist my fat arm. I'm back in the market for garage sale MBs, and gifts from generous strangers. I'm a mere willow in the MB winds (ah, me).

LOL

#146 Namo

Namo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:37

A well and cleverly marketed product can be a good product. It can also be overpriced as a simple object. And it also can be a status thing. I don't see any reason (except some bad attitude) to limit the analysis to a "either, or". I don't like heavily marketed products, for the same price MB would not be high on my buy list (and yes I did spend that much money on one or more pens), but I don't think MB is evil, or even bad pens.

Edited by Namo, 03 July 2014 - 05:38.

amonjak.com

cropped-amonjak-partie-4-de-4_page_4-modifiee1.jpg  

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

#147 Algester

Algester

(´Д⊂ヽ

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,786 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 July 2014 - 17:02

know what we should rename the thread REASONS NOT TO GET A MODERN 149 AT SRP in a MB BOTIQUE will this thread make any sense?

Edited by Algester, 03 July 2014 - 17:03.

#148 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,078 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 July 2014 - 20:51

I bought a used 149 (relatively modern- 80's) to see what the fuss was all about and paid a third of the price.  The nib had to be adjusted by a well known nibmeister before I could use it without getting frustrated (the previous owner must have had a heavy hand and sprung the nib slightly resulting in skipping).  Now it writes perfectly (it fits my hand comfortably) and I think the styling is beautiful.  Because of the conservative black body (accented by gold trims), the eye is drawn to the large nib which is exquisitely fashioned.  If you like looking at beautiful objects or instruments such as I, this nib is mesmerising!  However as this thread wants reasons NOT to get a 149 here are mine :-

1) The nib on my 149 is stiff and unyielding - not great if you are after a springy, soft nib

2) The nib does not disassemble without buying a special tool and even then you'd be fussing around with sealants etc.  I found this most annoying when I used a heavily saturated ink in it once.  I had trouble cleaning mine and I spent ages flushing it. When I went to dab it dry with tissue there were still traces of ink found in the nib collar.  So if you like using heavily saturated inks in this pen, you need to spend a bit of time cleaning it out.

3) The piston filler whilst wonderful (I love piston fillers) also needs a special tool to open up should you wish to lubricate it - Montblanc charges a small fortune to do this so I had to buy the tool myself (which also opens my Pelikan M800).  I also had to clean out the ink window after using a particular brand of iron gall ink which left a residue on the inside.   Once opened, it was just a matter of using a cotton bud to clean it and it looked good as new.  My Pelikan whilst needing a tool to open the piston (for lubricating purposes) was easier to clean in that respect because the nibs unscrewed easily and I could clean the barrel from the front.

Much of what people have said about it I do agree with (such as being overpriced when bought brand new) but I am sure there are plenty of good well kept second hand ones floating around should Centurion feel the need to try one (apart from the slightly sprung nib, the rest of my pen was in flawless condition).  I have not had the pleasure of  owning or trying out a vintage MB yet so I cannot comment but I do love flex nibs too!

Cheers.

I own several vintage 149s and the nib on them are top notch, never had a single mishap

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#149 zchen

zchen

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 July 2014 - 20:59

know what we should rename the thread REASONS NOT TO GET A MODERN 149 AT SRP in a MB BOTIQUE will this thread make any sense?

Lol, just what I was thinking too.

#150 aawhite

aawhite

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 July 2014 - 23:20

I've never heard of Kynsey before so I was curious and clicked on your link......Gaahhhhh!  Ewww! It's too much!  It may look perfect in a Mardi Gras Parade though...lol.  Less is more for me, and to each his/her own I suppose :)

You are abosolutely correct. :lol:

These are hand-made over the top "gem" pens. Some appear to be usable, and others are just way over, even for me. That is why I have to see and feel the pens in person before I buy.

And, wait for the price. The cheapest is at least 2,500 euros. I have not purchased any pens for the past two and a half years and completely deprived myself of any indulging expenses just to save up for one of this, and I am not sure if I can still get one. They are all limited editions of 1 to 5 pieces, for the grand "Mardi Gras" ones, and about 20 for the "low" end ones.

They make Romillo pens (another Spanish maker) look dull but affordable.

I only have two pens -  an Aurora Optima and others.

#151 Tritonus

Tritonus

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 July 2014 - 00:18

You are abosolutely correct. :lol:

These are hand-made over the top "gem" pens. Some appear to be usable, and others are just way over, even for me. That is why I have to see and feel the pens in person before I buy.

And, wait for the price. The cheapest is at least 2,500 euros. I have not purchased any pens for the past two and a half years and completely deprived myself of any indulging expenses just to save up for one of this, and I am not sure if I can still get one. They are all limited editions of 1 to 5 pieces, for the grand "Mardi Gras" ones, and about 20 for the "low" end ones.

They make Romillo pens (another Spanish maker) look dull but affordable.

I've seen Romillo pens and really like the simple styling of the pen but not the price :)

For 2500 Euros or more, I'd rather spend that money buying a plane ticket to Italy to view some of those masterpieces they paint on those Kynsey pens ! :lol:

#152 Tritonus

Tritonus

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 July 2014 - 00:37

I own several vintage 149s and the nib on them are top notch, never had a single mishap

Your collection is my envy, Georges! ;) (a few years ago I read your passionate review about the Waterman Laureat and bought myself one - it is a superb pen by the way).  I was not so fortunate with my modern MBs (buying used without being able to try them out is always a risk) but after they have been tuned to my liking (and in one case, had the nib ground to a cursive italic) by a great nibmeister who lives in the USA, they are amongst my favourite everyday pens now.

#153 aawhite

aawhite

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 July 2014 - 19:26

I've seen Romillo pens and really like the simple styling of the pen but not the price :)

For 2500 Euros or more, I'd rather spend that money buying a plane ticket to Italy to view some of those masterpieces they paint on those Kynsey pens ! :lol:

You are rightly close about the plane ticket, because I am not sure yet that I can get one (I do have a budget limit) and I am after one that has probably been or will be sold out by the time I travel to Spain.

If I cannot get it, I will spend the money on my number one passion, that is fly fishing (yes, I am not a 100% fountain pen geek). I will buy new fly fishing gear and a ticket to Wyoming for 2016. I have never been there and it is my "grail" destination. Well  . . . I might need to save a bit more for this to happen.

As for the MB 149, it is not for me because I have relatively small hands that an Aurora Optima fits best.

Apologies, but I believe I have deviated too far from the original intent of this thread. Have a great day my fellow Melbournian. :)

Edited by aawhite, 04 July 2014 - 19:33.

I only have two pens -  an Aurora Optima and others.

#154 Algester

Algester

(´Д⊂ヽ

• Member - Gold

• 5,786 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 July 2014 - 17:03

I was thinking should I start a new thread and entitle it Reasons not to BUY a BRAND NEW MB 149 in a MB Botique?

will there repercussions?

Edited by Algester, 05 July 2014 - 17:04.

#155 bluejay

bluejay

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 July 2014 - 17:52

The reasons are easy. The pen is ugly. Too expensive unless you buy used. And even then you can get an italian pen with no remorse. Well I have to correct myself italian pens seem to be very fragile. The 149 is just too big. You basically need some structural support for your pocket otherwise it just dangles over. 

#156 Centurion

Centurion

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 18:20

The reasons are easy. The pen is ugly. Too expensive unless you buy used. And even then you can get an italian pen with no remorse. Well I have to correct myself italian pens seem to be very fragile. The 149 is just too big. You basically need some structural support for your pocket otherwise it just dangles over. 

Oh, that's important point for me. I want a big pen, but the 149 is so heavy and big it dangles over your shirt pocket! Not good as I don't like to carry a pen case and I don't like to just leave it at my desk. 

I don't think the 149 is ugly, not the best looking pen. Good looking nib though. And better looking than the M1000 and its nib.

I'm not in a rush, so now I am looking for a vintage 149. I been convinced that going new is overpriced. 

The Hemingway or the Dumas are intriguing alternatives. The nib is as big as the 149 (so I read), but the body of those two pens are more like a 146?

#157 bluejay

bluejay

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 July 2014 - 18:22

No both bodies are like a 138 not a 146. 

#158 Centurion

Centurion

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 18:32

No both bodies are like a 138 not a 146. 

Never heard of a 138. What typical Montblancs that are 138s?

#159 Algester

Algester

(´Д⊂ヽ

• Member - Gold

• 5,786 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 July 2014 - 18:35

Never heard of a 138. What typical Montblancs that are 138s?

it looks like a duofold to me... piston filler, flat-top number 8 nib

#160 LOGAN

LOGAN

Inky Preacher

• Member - Gold

• 903 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 July 2014 - 19:52

The Hemingway or the Dumas are intriguing alternatives. The nib is as big as the 149 (so I read), but the body of those two pens are more like a 146?

These would be great options! 

I always assumed the Hemingway and Dumas had the same body/nib size as a 149. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 149, mb, purchase, new

Sponsored Content

|