Reasons Not To Get A Mb 149

Centurion

I don't know about status, but I do know that my Montblancs are the nicest fountain pens and the nicest pieces of craftmanship I've ever laid my hands on. So I wouldn't let the opinion of some egalitarian bigot hinder me from enjoying them.

Someday, I hope to get a Montblanc that I really like. I have 3, and all have had (or developed) serious issues. The two ballpoints have developed serious 1" cracks in the resin up near the pocket clips, and my Starwalker wrote as dry as a Sahara summer before I mucked around with the nib, and to this day, if I screw the cap on even half way securely, it becomes stuck like glue and the entire section unscrews from the barrel when I try to remove the cap. So I ain't buying any more Montblancs unless I see a real one for cheap at a garage sale.

http://i59.tinypic.com/ekfh5f.jpg

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Centurion

• FriendAmos

• Blade Runner

• Algester

Someday, I hope to get a Montblanc that I really like. I have 3, and all have had (or developed) serious issues. The two ballpoints have developed serious 1" cracks in the resin up near the pocket clips, and my Starwalker wrote as dry as a Sahara summer before I mucked around with the nib, and to this day, if I screw the cap on even half way securely, it becomes stuck like glue and the entire section unscrews from the barrel when I try to remove the cap. So I ain't buying any more Montblancs unless I see a real one for cheap at a garage sale.

Why would you get another Montblanc even at a garage sale if you do not like them??

There seems to be some sensitivity on both sides of the issue, although I can never figure out why people seem to care so much about what other internet denizens think...

I have a 145. It writes fine, but I rarely use it. The cap always seems "wobbly", and I think this is the cause of a lot of cracks (people over tightening to try to stop the wobble). Pelikans do this (wobble) to a lesser extent, but I haven't found other brands with this affliction.

Every time I get ready to pull the trigger on a 146 or 149, I think about other pens out there and end up buying them instead. The cap wobble influences that to some extent, but at the end of the day it's about the value for the asking price. It's simply a little too high (for me). 149 or Hakase? (I've bought neither yet). 146 or Nakaya or Conway Stewart or a whole bunch of other really nice pens in that range...? MB always loses out.

I think that's why you shouldn't get a 149. The value for the ask just isn't there, when you could have a hand made pen for similar money.

There are a lot of perfectly valid reasons not to buy a Montblanc, or even not to like Montblanc fountain pens at all.

However, the fear that someone may judge you for it shouldn't be among them.

Edited by Vlad Soare

There seems to be some sensitivity on both sides of the issue, although I can never figure out why people seem to care so much about what other internet denizens think...

I have a 145. It writes fine, but I rarely use it. The cap always seems "wobbly", and I think this is the cause of a lot of cracks (people over tightening to try to stop the wobble). Pelikans do this (wobble) to a lesser extent, but I haven't found other brands with this affliction.

Every time I get ready to pull the trigger on a 146 or 149, I think about other pens out there and end up buying them instead. The cap wobble influences that to some extent, but at the end of the day it's about the value for the asking price. It's simply a little too high (for me). 149 or Hakase? (I've bought neither yet). 146 or Nakaya or Conway Stewart or a whole bunch of other really nice pens in that range...? MB always loses out.

I think that's why you shouldn't get a 149. The value for the ask just isn't there, when you could have a hand made pen for similar money.

Good points, dneal. These reasons seem to be the main ones for NOT buying a MB 149. (BTW, MB nibs are hand ground ;) )

Let's face it, we all have different tastes. Either the 149 strikes your fancy or it doesn't. If not, buy something that you will be happy with. Like you said, "... it's about the value for the asking price." If the value, to you, does not equal the asking price, then the question is already answered for you.

It's really that simple.

It is people like FriendAmos making such a big thing about owning a MB149, and the insults they threw out that made this conversation so very contentious. Other people, whether they were MB owners or not were perfectly OK expressing their opinions, when FriendAmos came in swinging throwing out accusations of "shallowness" etc at FPN folks who owned a 149.

I bought a used 149 (relatively modern- 80's) to see what the fuss was all about and paid a third of the price. The nib had to be adjusted by a well known nibmeister before I could use it without getting frustrated (the previous owner must have had a heavy hand and sprung the nib slightly resulting in skipping). Now it writes perfectly (it fits my hand comfortably) and I think the styling is beautiful. Because of the conservative black body (accented by gold trims), the eye is drawn to the large nib which is exquisitely fashioned. If you like looking at beautiful objects or instruments such as I, this nib is mesmerising! However as this thread wants reasons NOT to get a 149 here are mine :-

1) The nib on my 149 is stiff and unyielding - not great if you are after a springy, soft nib

2) The nib does not disassemble without buying a special tool and even then you'd be fussing around with sealants etc. I found this most annoying when I used a heavily saturated ink in it once. I had trouble cleaning mine and I spent ages flushing it. When I went to dab it dry with tissue there were still traces of ink found in the nib collar. So if you like using heavily saturated inks in this pen, you need to spend a bit of time cleaning it out.

3) The piston filler whilst wonderful (I love piston fillers) also needs a special tool to open up should you wish to lubricate it - Montblanc charges a small fortune to do this so I had to buy the tool myself (which also opens my Pelikan M800). I also had to clean out the ink window after using a particular brand of iron gall ink which left a residue on the inside. Once opened, it was just a matter of using a cotton bud to clean it and it looked good as new. My Pelikan whilst needing a tool to open the piston (for lubricating purposes) was easier to clean in that respect because the nibs unscrewed easily and I could clean the barrel from the front.

Much of what people have said about it I do agree with (such as being overpriced when bought brand new) but I am sure there are plenty of good well kept second hand ones floating around should Centurion feel the need to try one (apart from the slightly sprung nib, the rest of my pen was in flawless condition). I have not had the pleasure of owning or trying out a vintage MB yet so I cannot comment but I do love flex nibs too!

Cheers.

Edited by Tritonus

The answer may be obvious, but does this kind of discussion head in this direction with other luxury pen brands, or is Montblanc unique?

If Montblanc is unique, why?

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Waski- it is unique to MB in the world of fountain pens, because of people like FriendAmos. People who just wont let go, and they spend their time criticizing people who own MB pens, calling them shallow and so forth. As VladSoare said, there are a lot of egalitarian bigots spreading hate out there.

The answer may be obvious, but does this kind of discussion head in this direction with other luxury pen brands, or is Montblanc unique?

If Montblanc is unique, why?

There's another thread about expensive pens, so it's not unique to Montblanc. I think MB's pricing and marketing (and the name recognition they have) draws them extra attention. Sure, there are some people who buy them for just the brand (I suspect those are actually ball point users though...), but in the FP community I don't think that's the case.

Most pens aren't worth the ask, if we're going to be honest about it. Some are more "status" oriented in their marketing, but hey... there's a luxury market to make money in. If they can convince people to spend hundreds (or thousands) of dollars on a pretty piece of plastic with a bit of gold at the end... more power to them. Lord knows I've given them money. I like the way Conway Stewart's look, and bought one. I like the hand made and urushi aspect of Nakaya, and bought 2. I like the styling of Omas (although they're usually a pain in the rear to get to write worth a damn), and I have 2 of them. I like the looks of some Edison's, and the whole BG story and buy them too.

Again, if we're going to be perfectly honest then none of those pens are worth the ask, but it's my money and my decision. I don't have to justify it to anyone, and I really don't care what anyone thinks. I don't ask for those kinds of opinions though, but if somebody else does I'm happy to oblige. Looking at this thread I'm not the only one.

Thanks FriendAmos for trying to keep the thread on track.

Glad to have been of some help. I am also trying to help others, but, given the nature of the problem, it is not easy, and I am now the subject of some unfriendliness. Still, I will persist until they are enlightened, and I have no doubt that they will then thank me.

I think MB's pricing and marketing (and the name recognition they have) draws them extra attention. Sure, there are some people who buy them for just the brand (I suspect those are actually ball point users though...), but in the FP community I don't think that's the case.

The first part is largely my point. I disagree on the second part: FP users are probably the worst.

Waski- it is unique to MB in the world of fountain pens, because of people like FriendAmos. People who just wont let go, and they spend their time criticizing people who own MB pens, calling them shallow and so forth. As VladSoare said, there are a lot of egalitarian bigots spreading hate out there.

Once again, I will refer you to the title of the thread and what the OP asked for. If I simply wanted to bash MB and its products, there's a forum right here on FPN where the owners of such products engage in endless self-pleasure and where I could bash them. I am responding to the OP, and you will note that he has acknowledged my helpful contribution.

Why would you get another Montblanc even at a garage sale if you do not like them??

You know, this is the smartest question I've read on FPN this week. I won't even buy one at a garage sale now. TU :)

http://i59.tinypic.com/ekfh5f.jpg

In the high-end world, a MB 149 is the equivalent of a Porsche Boxster or something - yeah, moderately expensive, but hardly in the same league as a super-car. If someone is trying to make an impression, they wouldnt do so with a MB, but with a David Oscarson or some one-off blingbling.

Walk in with a pocket full of Namiki Emperors and I'd be impressed. :)

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

To answer the original question: There is no reason not to get a MB 149. I must declare that I do not have one. However, I do have other MontBlancs.

There has been a vigorous debate here about fountain pens that express "status".

For me, MB 149 is not a status pen; never was and never will be. Just look at the design (or the lack of it), it is simple and featureless.

A Kynsey pen, NOW THIS is a "status pen" ;) (along with the price). I have been saving for a while now and I intend to buy one (Kynsey) when I visit Spain next year. I am targeting the cheaper pens, if any left. :)

See http://www.kynsey.com/english/start.htm

Edited by aawhite

I only have two pens - an Aurora Optima and others.

MB 149 is a great pen. I have one and I love it. I bought it new about 10 years ago. One thing I don't like is that I cannot disassemble it to clean it. Instead, I have to draw and expel water patiently and repeatedly.

I also have a Pelikan M1000. I find its nib too springy.

If you want a cheap yet good and really big pen, consider ebonite Indian pens, such as a Guider Jumbo or a Varuna Gajendra.

You know, this is the smartest question I've read on FPN this week. I won't even buy one at a garage sale now. TU :)

:D you know...I re-read what I wrote and I do apologise if it came across the wrong way....it was a genuine question as I was puzzled by your comment. Glad I help save you a few quid! :lol:

To answer the original question: There is no reason not to get a MB 149. I must declare that I do not have one. However, I do have other MontBlancs.

There has been a vigorous debate here about fountain pens that express "status".

For me, MB 149 is not a status pen; never was and never will be. Just look at the design (or the lack of it), it is simple and featureless.

A Kynsey pen, NOW THIS is a "status pen" ;) (along with the price). I have been saving for a while now and I intend to buy one (Kynsey) when I visit Spain next year. I am targeting the cheaper pens, if any left. :)

See http://www.kynsey.com/english/start.htm

I've never heard of Kynsey before so I was curious and clicked on your link......Gaahhhhh! Ewww! It's too much! It may look perfect in a Mardi Gras Parade though...lol. Less is more for me, and to each his/her own I suppose :)