Reasons Not To Get A Mb 149

Centurion

I am after writing experience first and foremost, but also looking for "bling". If "bling" means a pretty pen then I do want a pretty pen for myself.

If for yourself, then, for both writing and prettiness, you can do much better and at a much lower cost. On the other hand, if the writing is for you but the "wow" factor is for others, then the "precious resin" is an excellent choice. But even then I'd suggest two pens: one for writing, and the MB for 'wow".

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Centurion

• FriendAmos

• Blade Runner

• Algester

After a while most fp enthusiasts not only want a pen that writes great, but also looks great. The 149's function and aesthetics make it one of the classic fountain pens of all time. And of course a lot of fp enthusiasts love'em! :D

What, precisely, are the "function" and "aesthetics"? Do other pens have them? If so, do those other pens cost as much as the "precious resin"? If the OP can get the "function" and "aesthetics" elsewhere and at lower cost, then I would say he has plenty of reason to skip an MB 149.

If for yourself, then, for both writing and prettiness, you can do much better and at a much lower cost. On the other hand, if the writing is for you but the "wow" factor is for others, then the "precious resin" is an excellent choice. But even then I'd suggest two pens: one for writing, and the MB for 'wow".

In my case there's no need for two pens. I've used the 149 as my daily work pen for many years. Never a problem functionally, and only rarely has anyone commented on it. In my experience, people don't care about what pen you use, especially one with such conservative styling as a Meisterstuck. Now if you were using a gaudy Italian model .... :D

In my case there's no need for two pens. I've used the 149 as my daily work pen for many years. Never a problem functionally, and only rarely has anyone commented on it. In my experience, people don't care about what pen you use, especially one with such conservative styling as a Meisterstuck. Now if you were using a gaudy Italian model .... :D

+1

I have used a 149 for a while as my EDC and very few people even notice.

What, precisely, are the "function" and "aesthetics"? Do other pens have them? If so, do those other pens cost as much as the "precious resin"? If the OP can get the "function" and "aesthetics" elsewhere and at lower cost, then I would say he has plenty of reason to skip an MB 149.

Sure other pens have them! My other favorite pens include the Parker 51 aerometric (I have owned dozens) and the Aurora 88 piston filler.

You don't have to put down a classic pen if you are comfortable in your own choices.

In my experience, people don't care about what pen you use, especially one with such conservative styling as a Meisterstuck.

MB's marketing department seems to think otherwise, and, the hoi polloi's views on the "precios resin" appear to vindicate the marketing folks.

Sure other pens have them! My other favorite pens include the Parker 51 aerometric (I have owned dozens) and the Aurora 88 piston filler.

You don't have to put down a classic pen if you are comfortable in your own choices.

True. But let's keep in mind the OP's question. If he can get the same stuff elsewhere and at lower cost, then there's one answer to his question: to avoid getting ripped off.

MB's marketing department seems to think otherwise, and, the hoi polloi's views on the "precios resin" appear to vindicate the marketing folks.

I don't give a rat's fart about their marketing. I do like their Meisterstucks. :D

I don't give a rat's fart about their marketing. I do like their Meisterstucks. :D

Exactly. As long as you buy, they too don't give a "rat's fart" as to why you buy. But they know and are rewarded for their successful efforts.

True. But let's keep in mind the OP's question. If he can get the same stuff elsewhere and at lower cost, then there's one answer to his question: to avoid getting ripped off.

If you love using one of the classic fps of all time every day, then you're not getting ripped off. :)

In my experience you actually can save money by buying the pen you really want, even if it's expensive rather than buying multiple lower end pens that don't keep one's interest. After I bought my first 149, I loved using it so much, I didn't buy another pen for nearly 10 years.

Exactly. As long as you buy, they too don't give a "rat's fart" as to why you buy. But they know and are rewarded for their successful efforts.

Most of MBs are second hand. Therefore MB didn't make that much off me. :lol:

If you love using one of the classic fps of all time every day, then you're not getting ripped off.

The title of the thread is "Reasons Not To Get A Mb 149". That suggests that the OP is not yet in a position to "love using .... ". He has asked for advice and we have given it.

Really? You ought to get out a bit more ... into the general public etc. Come to think of it, you will not miss even among pen lovers. Think about it.

Maybe I keep a different social circle.

I'll repeat: I have yet to find anyone who has ever commented on my MB. Or any of my pens. Given that, as status symbols go, $500-1000 isn't really a big amount of money, this isn't really surprising.

Edited by de_pen_dent

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

It is a piston filler.

Or even further, it is not a cartridge/converter which makes it very easy to clean/maintain.

I usually have a at least 3 MBs with me when I go to work. Only 2 people in over a decade have ever noticed my pens and both of them were MB owners.

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

I bought one years ago at the late and lamented Golden Gate Pen Company in San Francisco. Two hundred bucks +/-. I used it for 25 + years, then it was stolen. I was p.o.ed, but I never wanted another one. I liked it fine when I had it, but the love wasn't there. I love my $25 Kaweco I now use much more.

Amos- we got it, you dont like the MB 149. What the heck are you trying to prove by argueing over it on this forum?

I have one. It has ink in it and is sitting with other inked fountain pens.

My morning routine is ....put on suit, tie, watch, shoes....then pick up a pen and clip it to my shirt.

The 149 doesn't seem to get picked very often. There is nothing that I find overtly wrong with it. But, seeing as though it has the equal opportunity to get chosen, but doesn't, I must not like it as much as some others.

I see the 149 as one of those things that's "nice to have, but....."

I keep reading this. In my experience, I have yet to find a single person who has ever given a rat's rear about pens as status symbols.

Okay, admittedly I don't have a MB and have no desire to get one. But twice in a week I've had someone ooh ah over a pen I was using while signing a credit card slip (as in "Wow, that's a nice pen!").

In both cases it was... (drumroll)... my $40 Noodler's ebonite Konrad.... I think mostly the only other times I've ever had people even *notice* I had something other than a BP was when I was using regular resin Konrads, other than people who know me, or if my husband points out to them "She wants to use one of her *fancy* pens...."

So for the average Joe/John and Jane Q. Public type of person, having a pen with a "splat" on it isn't going to mean a whole lot. Maybe if you're trying to impress some politician or Wall Street tycoon, but in my experience most people aren't even going to notice you HAVE a fountain pen, let alone what brand it is.

Interestingly enough though, I'm just finishing reading _The Looming Tower_, where it mentions that John O'Neill (one of the leading FBI agents trying to track down and prosecute Osama bin Laden prior to 911) used a Montblanc BP -- for him it *was* kinda a status symbol apparently (there are comments by the book's author that O'Neill dressed more like the mobsters he was trying to catch than your typical G-man, and generally living beyond his means).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I have one. It has ink in it and is sitting with other inked fountain pens.

My morning routine is ....put on suit, tie, watch, shoes....then pick up a pen and clip it to my shirt.

The 149 doesn't seem to get picked very often. There is nothing that I find overtly wrong with it. But, seeing as though it has the equal opportunity to get chosen, but doesn't, I must not like it as much as some others.

I see the 149 as one of those things that's "nice to have, but....."

So why do you still have it ?

One of the great things about having someone throw a grenade in the room is all the excitement it brings out. I am often able to pick out the ones who are irrational, boorish, ill mannered and unreasonable. A number are petty and malicious . They all are added to the growing list of ignores that makes reading so much easier.

There is no reason why not to get a MB 149. There are many reasons why to get a MB 149, or any pen for that matter. For me its the comfort level that makes this pen so good, and as I age, it will be easier to write with while slimmer pens will become more difficult. We all age, cant get away from that one. And in the year 2545 when I break my MB149, I can send it to the near by repair center in Alpha Centauri to get it repaired and parts will still be available. Can't say the same for Boer, Jinhao, or Parker.

Edited by RudyR

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?