The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Reasons Not To Get A Mb 149

149 mb purchase new

• Please log in to reply
194 replies to this topic

#61 Centurion

Centurion

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 02:40

An Omas Ogiva is round like a 149, the Paragon is the largest 10 sided one (with the Milord being one size smaller).  The 360 is also a big pen.

A Nakaya Portable is a cigar shaped pen just as big as a 149, and a Nakai-Ai, Decapod and Neo Standard are a little bigger.  They have great springy nibs (especially the flexible ones).

My Sailor's nib (a standard one) is actually quite firm.  I wouldn't get a Realo with a "standard" nib for flex.  Great writer, but not flexible.

The Nakaya is an intriguing pen, no pocket clip, looks good though. Only $550 compared to the 149

I must express a little concern that you are out looking for a $1000 pen without knowing too much about what is available. We all need to learn things for sure, but perhaps the motives for the purchase should be examined?

Are you looking for a superlative writing experience? Are you purchasing the pen because you can? Is it jewellery/status symbol or will it be working hard for its existence?

"I know what I like" will get you a decent pen, but you may never know what you missed. You should add a few Montegrappa, Onoto, Conway Stewart, Nakaya, Yard-oLed, Aurora, Delta, Caran d'Ache, Platinum, Diplomat, Porsche Design, Visconti,  and ST Dupont pens to your list as well ............ the search goes on.

Looking for a big FP (with a big nib) with a superlative writing experience. I think any big FP I get will have jewelry/status symbol whether I want it or not. I want to use it outside of my house, but don't want people asking to try it out either. In a way, MB is so common, many people don't want to look at it. They just know it's expensive, and if they're not pen lovers will probably think I am crazy, so it ends up being the opposite of a status symbol. A unique artistic looking FP will probably garner too much attention. I like FPs and aware of the above jewelry/status issues, but try not to let it affect me. I don't have a big FP, want one, and I am encouraged there are so many out there. FPs are not dying. In contrast to cars with a stick shift transmission here in the US.

Yes.  MB's website does not feature their best stuff.  I'll never figure that out. 

In addition, I think the platinum 146 in the second photo has wonderful lines as well.  It can be yours for $15,250, Centurion.  http://www.ebay.com/...=item2a3e7adde0

At this stage, I kind of feel like we are piling on a bit to the original poster.  I think everybody has made good points, but it is kind of a downer to talk about why something is bad.  German premier Konrad Adenauer gave his 149 to JFK because he admired it.  Is there another fountain pen with anywhere near that level of prestige and class?  There are lots of great pens out there.  The 149 is one of them.   

I can't even lust after it. I don't think it looks good with the platinum, too grayish looking. I wonder if MB has the 149 in gold? Would look good, but the weight of it might be awkward. 

+1. Get a vintage.

On a side note: I do not have a149 nor 146, but I have a 221 and a Carrera (steel nib) instead.

The 221 is light and slim, and writes like a dream.

The Carrera is one of my early pens given to me by my father. I was about 14 years old then. I love this pen and I still use it often.

It is a shame that MontBlanc no longer produces these affordable "low end, school pens".

The idea of hunting for a vintage 149 is much more appealing. I could get 2 big FPs that way. Also, I might be more carefree knowing the vintage 149 "only" cost $250 not $1000

If you are up for spending $1,000 on a pen you could check out Romillo pens: http://www.romillopens.com/ 

I haven used one or seen one in person but I want one and from the looks of them they are much easier to justify than a new 149.

Not afraid of vintage? get an early 50s 146...I have one and its easily one of the best writing pens I have owned.  I like my early 70s 149 but its huge and depending on how you hold your pen it might not be comfortable for you.  I don't write with mine for long periods of time because it's too fat.

The Eo #9 looks good, as I want to the FP to be big and fat. I liked how it presented barrel diameter figures of 14.4 mm and length of 145 mm. On the MB site or the Pelikan or Sailor, I couldn't easily find similar figures.

Stated needs:
Big pen
Springy nib
Price:
Up to 1,000$

MB is not springy
Pelikan m1000 would be a better choice
Visconti homo sapiens (aka lava; same pen). Maybe a little fussy to fill for a newbie?

For that price, buy the pen you want from a seller that will also tuned the nib to your needs. That will add maybe 75$ to the price of your pen.

If that was me:
I would get a Romillo hand made pen. They even make their nibs, can take all of your needs in consideration, now offering piston filling with the Soul.

But of course, thus isn't me... *sigh*

Eyedropper filling might be a bit too fussy, then again I don't have a eyedropper FP. Since many have said MB nibs, even the 149 is not springy, I am going to search of a vintage 149 that would have a springy nib.

If you're looking for a large pen with a nice and springy nib, might I recommend the Ebonite Sailor King of Pen? The body is notably more durable than that of the 149 which is, as you are well aware, not all that strongly constructed. The simple black aesthetic is also understated enough not to attract too much unwanted attention, which is going to be a plus if you'll be carrying it outside. Oh, and the nib on the pen is really springy, almost a semi-flex. Needless to say, it's quite a bit more affordable than the MB as well :P

As for the cons of the MB 149 excepting direct comparisons with other pens:

* The nib isn't really springy, though it is quite smooth.

* Yes, it's grossly overpriced for what it is, unless you're the type to acknowledge brand recognition as a factor in the cost of an item; most people would recognize it in your pocket.

* The ink capacity is actually quite unremarkable for a pen as large as it is, around 1.7mL. If you're the type to change inks often, though, that'll probably count as a good thing.

* Though the design is indeed quite conservative, anyone who knows fountain pens is likely familiar with the White Star logo. Not everyone want a lot of attention, I'm thinking.

Cheers!

Kevin

So a Sailor KOP is around $500? I was on their site and it looks like KOP comes in many variations, not just in ebonite. I have a Noodler's ebonite FP and do like the feel of it.

Sponsored Content

#62 Centurion

Centurion

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 03:10

MBs never interested me but if you wan some springy nib... plus the price plus I'm still a student what you'd expect me to whip out a high tier pen at school...

Justus 95 would be a good hefty pen

I havent touched a GvFC but its on my list

if not a Visconti Homo Sapiens bronze or steel also on my list it has some spring because of the Palladium bodied nib

Omas Milord...

Edison pens with a gold nib?

Overpriced.

You can get one, just BECAUSE it's a 149.

Or you could get a Visconti LAVA pen with a dreamtouch nib.

I'd recommend the latter. Much more unique, more niche, not as much of a thief magnet as the MB snowflake logo is.

Stated needs:
Big pen
Springy nib
Price:
Up to 1,000$

MB is not springy
Pelikan m1000 would be a better choice
Visconti homo sapiens (aka lava; same pen). Maybe a little fussy to fill for a newbie?

For that price, buy the pen you want from a seller that will also tuned the nib to your needs. That will add maybe 75$ to the price of your pen.

If that was me:
I would get a Romillo hand made pen. They even make their nibs, can take all of your needs in consideration, now offering piston filling with the Soul.

But of course, thus isn't me... *sigh*

Wow, the Visconti Homo Sapiens Lava FP is very intriguing and nice. Both the Bronze and Steel look good. I probably like the Bronze better, and looking at the dimension specs, it seems just as big as the 149. Maybe bigger?

What is the filling system for the Visconti, a push/pull piston? So I don't twist to push air out and let ink in, as with a traditional piston. Instead, I push something, then pull to let the ink in??

Retail for the Bronze is $650, what's market price?

Seems like the MIDI version of the Lava pen is the size of the 146?

#63 dneal

dneal

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2014 - 03:49

The Nakaya is an intriguing pen, no pocket clip, looks good though. Only $550 compared to the 149

All 4 of the Nakayas I listed are available with a clip.

#64 Lyander0012

Lyander0012

One Who Wanders With The Water

• Member - Gold

• 1,063 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2014 - 04:06

Romillo pens are great, too! I particularly like that you can request a true flexible nib with your pen, so long as you're ordering one that has a size 9 nib. Hakase pens are amazing works of art, but they take ages to make, which is a downside.

Anyway, yeah, ebonite is a great material for pens. About the only problem is that you have to take some special measures to ensure that it doesn't come into contact with any chemicals or substances that'll ruin the finish. I highly recommend the KoP over the 149, but that's just my opinion; you might find that resin is a better material for you, or that you prefer the looks of the Montblanc. Yes, the KoP comes in a bunch of different materials and finishes, but the resin variant isn't all that much different from a Montblanc save for the slightly springier nib and a less capacitous filling system. The Urushi pen is extremely durable and beautiful beyond belief, but it's pricey as heck. North of 1500USD, IIRC.

Hope you find an awesome pen!

Kevin

"The price of an object should not only be what you had to pay for it, but also what you've had to sacrifice in order to obtain it." - The Wisdom of The Internet

#65 Namo

Namo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 06:38

Wow, the Visconti Homo Sapiens Lava FP is very intriguing and nice. Both the Bronze and Steel look good. I probably like the Bronze better, and looking at the dimension specs, it seems just as big as the 149. Maybe bigger?

What is the filling system for the Visconti, a push/pull piston? So I don't twist to push air out and let ink in, as with a traditional piston. Instead, I push something, then pull to let the ink in??

I think the steel is a piston filler, with a rather small ink capacity. You should find a HS around 400$. My advice: if you can, try it before buying. The grip is very small and the ring top of the grip section can be annoying for some (as myself).

amonjak.com

cropped-amonjak-partie-4-de-4_page_4-modifiee1.jpg  

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

#66 de_pen_dent

de_pen_dent

Tropical islander

• Member - Gold

• 1,580 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 07:41

If you want a pen solely to make people go ooh and aah, i.e. as a "status symbol", then the MB 149 will do nicely. 

I keep reading this.  In my experience, I have yet to find a single person who has ever given a rat's rear about pens as status symbols.

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

#67 gary

gary

Kalamazoo direct to you

• Member - Gold

• 2,312 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 14:00

I keep reading this.  In my experience, I have yet to find a single person who has ever given a rat's rear about pens as status symbols.

Could someone specifically identify the city, state, province, or country where someone oohed and aahed over an MB as a status symbol? I have never had anyone comment except another MB owner. I have a suspicion where that might happen, but won't comment without a reported, actual occurrence.

New the 149 is too expensive, but then look at a new KOP. Used, at $200-350, an excellent pen. Read Dan Smiith's review of the 90th Anniversary 149 on FP Geeks for an excellent perspective on the historical and user aspects of the 149.

On the other hand, if your spirits are flagging, and your self-confidence a bit low, and you can't weigh the merits of a 149 as a writing tool, just pass it up.

gary

#68 Algester

Algester

(´Д⊂ヽ

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,786 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2014 - 14:45

the bronze version is a vac filler AKA Visconti power filler with a double reservoir, steel is a piston filler nibs are palladium a very unique material in that is made from stone LIKE REAL STONE

#69 tomgartin

tomgartin

coffee black, whiskey neat.

• Member - Gold

• 999 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2014 - 19:13

Could someone specifically identify the city, state, province, or country where someone oohed and aahed over an MB as a status symbol? I have never had anyone comment except another MB owner. I have a suspicion where that might happen, but won't comment without a reported, actual occurrence.

New the 149 is too expensive, but then look at a new KOP. Used, at $200-350, an excellent pen. Read Dan Smiith's review of the 90th Anniversary 149 on FP Geeks for an excellent perspective on the historical and user aspects of the 149.

On the other hand, if your spirits are flagging, and your self-confidence a bit low, and you can't weigh the merits of a 149 as a writing tool, just pass it up.

gary

I'm currently in Atlanta, GA, and I usually compliment a fountain pen if I recognize it. In the past this has included a couple of MBs. They also seem to be more visible in the southeast than back on the west coast (where I grew up).

- - -

Currently trying to sell a Pelikan M400 White Tortoise. PM if you're interested.  :)

#70 Waski_the_Squirrel

Waski_the_Squirrel

Forum Squirrel

• Member - Gold

• 2,085 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2014 - 19:43

For some reason, ever since the first time I saw it, I haven't liked the white splotch that the company uses as a logo. It's just ugly. And, overall, I just don't find the pen attractive or special. I've never written with one, so I'm only going on looks. It's not an ugly pen (except for the white splotch) but it's nothing special.

However the real question is whether this is the best use of $1000 for you. If it is, buy the pen. If there is a better way to use that $1000, don't do it. 

Edited by Waski_the_Squirrel, 28 June 2014 - 19:47.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

#71 FriendAmos

FriendAmos

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 21:42

Really? You ought to get out a bit more ... into the general public etc. Come to think of it, you will not miss even among pen lovers. Think about it.

Edited by FriendAmos, 28 June 2014 - 21:47.

#72 gary

gary

Kalamazoo direct to you

• Member - Gold

• 2,312 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 22:14

I'm currently in Atlanta, GA, and I usually compliment a fountain pen if I recognize it.

Thanks for checking in Tom.

My request was for a report of oohing as a status symbol. You are demonstrating good manners, for which you are to be commended.

FriendAmos implies that there are such instances but does not offer even anecdotal evidence. Are snow cap pen snobs as rare as the yeti?

gary

#73 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,078 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2014 - 23:56

If you want a really good 149 from the mid 60's till the early 80's, it will have a semi flex to flex nib and it will have an ebonite feed and stop bsing like the 149 is fragile. The 149 is enough reliable and durable if you take well care enough it. No pen will resist if you use it as a dart

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#74 LOGAN

LOGAN

Inky Preacher

• Member - Gold

• 903 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 June 2014 - 00:15

Of course, a 149 can be pricey. I would recommend buying a used 149, if possible. 

But, I have never paid MSRP on any pen I own, MB or otherwise. A 149 is a great pen and is one of my personal favorites.

Many have suggested that they would reject it due to its status-symbol reputation, high MSRP, etc... Regardless, MB makes great in-house FPs. They put out a product that equals or exceeds everything I've tried. 

YMMV ;)

#75 Blade Runner

Blade Runner

Blade Runner

• Member - Gold

• 9,166 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:08

If you can't afford it.   Note:  then you can't afford many high end pens, not just MB.   Of course second hand is a logical get around.

If you believe the BS about MB being more fragile than other plastic pens.   Any plastic pen can break when abused.  

If you prefer a foreign brand that doesn't have a repair center in the US and requires pens to be sent overseas for long, silent turnaround times.

If you are more concerned about what others might think than your own opinion/desires.   I earned mine,  enjoy using it, and don't give a rat's fart about anyone else's opinion.   Besides, people might notice your car,  house, career, education.   But a pen?   Really?   It's peanuts by comparison.  :lol:

Edited by Blade Runner, 29 June 2014 - 02:23.

#76 Centurion

Centurion

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 00:50

It is not a real springy nib like a Pelikan 1000.

It is a 'springy' nib...a flex set between 'true' springy regular flex and semi-flex; both spread their tines 3 X a light down stroke....a 'springy' nib bends well at the tip, but only spreads it's tines 2 X a light down stroke.

A 1000 can be as some folks say a nice springy nib. The one I tried in a B&M was semi-flex. I have some 27 semi-flex nibbed pens.

Another reason not to buy is both are 18 K nibs, so if you bend it a tad too much....it remains bent, where a 14 K nib would not have that problem.

Modern MB nibs seem to run wide....defiantly do to a vintage '50's nib.

I would suggest getting a 149 from the grand '50-65 nib, that would be either semi-flex or 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex or the '66-75 that has a tad less spring to the nib in comparison.

The older vintage nibs are not on the whole quite as blingy as modern, but I like them. My 742 is bi-colored, so rather blingy for the time.

Of course mine are not a 149.

I have two standard sized pens a rolled gold 742, ('51-55) with that 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex and a 234 1/2 Deluxe semi-flex KOB, ('52-55)

Back then the 146 was a medium-large pen, that grew into a Large pen in the '80s.

It all depends on what you want the nib to do...I'd suggest a '50-75 one with a better nib, than the only  'springy' '76 to modern.

Agree with stogy...it is after all a '30's Sheaffer New Balance clone. ;)

So a '50-'65 MB149 for "fancy" (line width variation) writing (max semi-flex). A '66-'75 MB149 for a springy nib, a nib that bends well at the tip so that it's like writing with "shock absorbers." MB149 nibs from'76 to today, smooth but with a very slight springiness due to being a large-size nib with long tines. Is this all correct?

In my hunt for a springy MB149 which sounds like I am looking for one '66-'75 because I would like to be able to write fast with "shock absorbers". That would be my first choice. Pretty writing from a MB149 from '50-'65 would be ok too. How do I know what year a 149 is made? I imagine many sellers wouldn't know.

#77 FriendAmos

FriendAmos

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:01

I earned mine,  enjoy using it, and don't give a rat's fart about anyone else's opinion.

If he is buying it precisely so that people will "give a rat's fart", then, surely, that is a very important consideration, as would be the case with any "status symbol". So the fundamental question has to be: MB 149 for writing or as piece of "bling"? If the former, then he can do much better and at a much lower cost.

Edited by FriendAmos, 01 July 2014 - 01:02.

#78 Centurion

Centurion

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:23

If he is buying it precisely so that people will "give a rat's fart", then, surely, that is a very important consideration, as would be the case with any "status symbol". So the fundamental question has to be: MB 149 for writing or as piece of "bling"? If the former, then he can do much better and at a much lower cost.

I am going to go vintage. See post above.

I am after writing experience first and foremost, but also looking for "bling". If "bling" means a pretty pen then I do want a pretty pen for myself. As for other people, I think many would be impressed with almost any fountain pen because they don't see nibs that often. 

#79 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,838 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:24

I have several Montblancs, 144s and a 146.  I had a 449 when I was trying a lot of pens.  It is a great pen, but the real big pens like the 149 and Pelikan M1000 tend to mesmerize me and I get nothing done.  They are great pens, and the feeling of using one is about like the exhileration I used to get in the Air Force when I looked up at the Titan II missile from the lowest equipment level in the silo.  Awesome.

Many criticize the cost.  You can buy used.  Cost is a factor, use lesser pens.  The Waterman Phileas and Kultur are superb daily use pens. 

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#80 Blade Runner

Blade Runner

Blade Runner

• Member - Gold

• 9,166 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:29

After a while most fp enthusiasts not only want a pen that writes great, but also looks great.  The 149's function and aesthetics make it one of the classic fountain pens of all time.    And of course a lot of fp enthusiasts love'em!   :D

http://www.fountainp...-the-diplomats/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 149, mb, purchase, new

Sponsored Content

|