Muji As An Eye Dropper?

NewPenMan

My nephew just gave me a beautiful Muji last week.. all-aluminum, knurled barrel where you grip; otherwise matte/smooth and a beautiful pen all around. IMHO, the genius radiates from this pen..the design, craftsmanship, choice of materials...wow.

since the threads are metal, I'm going to guess this fine pen is not a candidate for converting to an eyedropper, silicone grease or not.

any thoughts?

Franklin-Christoph Stabilis 66 and Pocket 40: both with Matsuyama CI | Karas Kustoms Aluminum, Daniel Smith CI | Italix Parson's Essential and Freshman's Notator | Pilot Prera | Pilot Metropolitan | Lamy Safari, 1.1mm italic | Muji "Round Aluminum Pen" | Waterman Phileas | Noodler's Konrad | Nemosine Singularity 0.6mm stub | ASA Nauka, acrylic and ebonite | Gama Hawk | Wality Airmail | Noodlers Ahab | TWSBI GO | Noodlers Charlie | Pilot Plumix |

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NewPenMan

• Sasha Royale

• rwilsonedn

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this pen a cartridge fill fountain pen ? Have you tried to find cartridges ?

I am not a fan of eyedropper pens. However, I don't think metal threads are disqualifying. Rather, a water-tight barrel (tube) and

a good seal at the connection to the section are important. Grease or a rubber "O" ring might work. Dissolve a trace of ink into

water, and fill the pen. Wrap the pen in a clean paper towel, and let the pen sit for an hour in each of several positions. Colored

water on the paper will "tell" of any leaks.

Edited by Sasha Royale

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I am not a fan of eyedropper pens.

Mind sharing why? I think I can guess: the potential for disaster with a heuge amount of ink stored in that barrel?

Franklin-Christoph Stabilis 66 and Pocket 40: both with Matsuyama CI | Karas Kustoms Aluminum, Daniel Smith CI | Italix Parson's Essential and Freshman's Notator | Pilot Prera | Pilot Metropolitan | Lamy Safari, 1.1mm italic | Muji "Round Aluminum Pen" | Waterman Phileas | Noodler's Konrad | Nemosine Singularity 0.6mm stub | ASA Nauka, acrylic and ebonite | Gama Hawk | Wality Airmail | Noodlers Ahab | TWSBI GO | Noodlers Charlie | Pilot Plumix |

In general, people say not to let ink come in contact with metal parts on the pen. But generally they are referring to the brass that pen-makers use in barrels--there have been problems with some inks. Obviously ink is fine with the steel or gold alloys in nibs. Aluminum is another question. I don't know whether anyone has experience on whether your particular aluminum alloy will react with a particular ink. It would be a gamble, and a new gamble each time you changed inks.

ron

Mind sharing why? I think I can guess: the potential for disaster with a heuge amount of ink stored in that barrel?

Before the "self-filling" fountain pen, eyedropper and dip pens were the norm Today, I don't have to deal with the threat of an ink

burp, or the pocket full of ink. I like the additional layer of defense (sac, cartridge, etc.) against ink. The large capacity is not an

attraction, since I am never far from my ink. It takes a long time to use three or four milli-litres of ink. Also, I enjoy the ritual of

filling my pen. I do, however, appreciate all those who have taught me how the conversion is done. Thanks.

Of course, piston fillers are simply cool ! And, if I ever come across a Parker "Trench Pen" that is not tied down . . . . . . .

So, the short reasons are serendipity and cowardice.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

That's a good reason all its own..I enjoy that, too...

…Also, I enjoy the ritual of

filling my pen.

Edited by NewPenMan