1.1 Mm For Daily Use?

CJ_ung

Hello all,

I'm looking to purchase a new pen and I'm specifically looking to obtain a stub nib. Due to my smaller hand writing, I've decided a 1.1 mm would work the best.

My question is, is a 1.1 mm stub nib suitable for every day use, such as taking notes? Or is it more for bigger writing? Any help is greatly appreciated

Thank you,

CJ

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Colin8

• fasthall

• CelloGeek

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you have smaller handwriting, I would go for a 0.6-0.8 if you have the option. 1.1 is rather broad in a stub (for us small writers), though I will say my Safari 1.1 produces a manageable line on nice paper.

I love a good 1.1 for daily writing. It works fine with my small/medium size lettering. My favorite of the affordable ones is on one of my Lamy Al-Stars.

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg

I use a 1.1 stub, but I wouldn't say it's for daily use. I have fairly decent sized handwriting, and I feel like a 1.1 is too big.

On a semi-related note, is there anywhere I can get an affordable .7 (or close) nib?

Let me just say that not all 1.1's are the same size. The TWSBI 1.1's are HUGE compared to the Lamy 1.1. The Pendleton Point for the TWSBI is thinner and beautiful. I use a 1.1 every day...okay more than one. I love them.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Here is TWSBI 1.1 Stub.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Colors/Blue-Black/slides/2014-Ink_092.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Here is the Pendleton Point custom grind TWSBI 1.1.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Colors/Blue-Black/slides/2014-Ink_223.jpg

Here is a Lamy 1.1 which I consider to be much smaller than the TWSBI 1.1.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Colors/Blue/slides/2013-Ink_811.jpg

Also, this may help.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Pens/How_To/slides/Broad_Nibs.jpg

actually, I purchased a Lamy Studio because the 1.1 doesn't come in black and I only have black Safari's and Al-Stars. It's perfect for everyday use and I write pretty small. The Lamy italic nibs are also more forgiving regarding the writing angle than other italics. The print from for example an Old Sheaffer no-nonsense is more :"italicy" but it bites the paper as soon as you deviate a tiny bit from the sweetspot. That's the difference between a flat italic and a stub I suppose.

Amberleadavis, any reference point to the Goulet 1.1 nib? That's the only one I have. The Lamy looks like it may be a good candidate. I need to replace my matte black Safari anyways.

I use a 1.3 for daily use and a 1.1 is considered normal thickness and not even that thick at all compared to a M nib. I have a TWSBI 1.1 and a Pilot 78G Broad which is considered equivalent to a 1.1.

A 1.1 for daily use is totally normal for daily use. But it depends on your paper. My TWSBI and my Pilot 1.1's lay down a very thin line on Rhodia and Clairfontaine paper versus cheap office paper. 1.1's don't bleed so much as compared to the wider nibs.

I use a Lamy 1.1 in my joy and cp1.

But I write on WIDE ruled paper in normal Palmer cursive.

On college ruled paper, the ink line of the 1.1 nib looks messy because of the smaller line spacing.

What I am saying is the 1.1 nib needs a certain amount of space to write, and look good.

For reference I use an old US Parker F nib on college ruled paper and old US Parker M nib on wide ruled paper. I find the M nib too wide for use on college ruled paper.

I use everything from XF up to the 1.1 nib, all depending on how much space I have to write in; line spacing and box size on forms.

As for normal use, if you are taking about taking notes in school, I would rather use a F or XF nib. Simply because you can write denser and get more notes written on a line and thus more on a page. Also the F or XF will use less ink than the 1.1, so your ink load will last longer.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I use my Lamy 1.1 regularly. I would say my Pilot 78G B is slightly thinner than my Lamy and my writing tends to be smaller when using the Pilot.

Amber, thanks for the comparison with the TWSBI - that's very useful!

Elizabeth

questions questions, too many questions...

It depends on your handwriting.

I have a TWSBI 580 1.1mm for daily usage, but I found it's too broad since my handwriting is about 6~7mm height.

If your handwriting is about 1mm you won't find any problem.

BTW, I write cursive roundhand. If you write italic or printed font I think it's ok even your handwriting is 6mm height.

Edited by fasthall

It depends on your handwriting.

I have a TWSBI 580 1.1mm for daily usage, but I found it's too broad since my handwriting is about 0.6~0.7mm height.

If your handwriting is about 1mm you won't find any problem.

BTW, I write cursive roundhand. If you write italic or printed font I think it's ok even your handwriting is 0.6mm height.

Do you mean x-height? That's... still incredibly small. Richard Binder suggests that the measurement of a stub or italic should be around 1/5 the size of the x-height of your writing. My x-height is 2 mm and 0.6 mm stub (Nemosine Singularity) still fills the lowercase Es, but that's also because of the style of my writing (cursive, 55-60 degree slant, letters not very rounded or spacious). For italic writing this nib would be fine, but for cursive, I would prefer to size down to a ~0.4 mm.

I use a 1.1 stub, but I wouldn't say it's for daily use. I have fairly decent sized handwriting, and I feel like a 1.1 is too big.

On a semi-related note, is there anywhere I can get an affordable .7 (or close) nib?

Nemosine Singularity comes in 0.6 and 0.8 mm. The nib also fits in other pens that accept #6 nibs. Pilot Plumix is slightly narrower than the 78G B, so maybe it's around 0.8 mm.

Do you mean x-height? That's... still incredibly small. Richard Binder suggests that the measurement of a stub or italic should be around 1/5 the size of the x-height of your writing. My x-height is 2 mm and 0.6 mm stub (Nemosine Singularity) still fills the lowercase Es, but that's also because of the style of my writing (cursive, 55-60 degree slant, letters not very rounded or spacious). For italic writing this nib would be fine, but for cursive, I would prefer to size down to a ~0.4 mm.

Nemosine Singularity comes in 0.6 and 0.8 mm. The nib also fits in other pens that accept #6 nibs. Pilot Plumix is slightly narrower than the 78G B, so maybe it's around 0.8 mm.

I meant 6mm~7mm. 0.6~0.7 is typo :)

Edited by fasthall

I use a Lamy Vista with 1.5i nib (1.1mm line) for daily use. Same with a Duofold Centennial BI with a factory 1.1mm nib and a P51 with a 1.1 CI nib.

Eminently practical, I really don't see why anyone would use anything else.

Regards,

Richard.

It makes my writing a bit big and slows it down. I gave up using it for class notes - just can't keep up

I have stubs on both my TWSBI Mini & Vac 700. And while they are both marked as 1.1, the stub on the Vac puts down a significantly thicker line.

That being said, they are both quite usable for regular daily use, even with my fairly small handwriting.

And Nemosine has 0.6 & 0.8 mm stubs available that can also be used with the Vac 700 in case a 1.1 turns out to be too wide after all (and they're cheaper than a TWSBI nib assembly as well).

... Never underestimate the power of human stupidity ...

Keep track of the progress in my quest for a less terrible handwriting here: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/262105-handwriting-from-hell-a-quest-for-personal-improvement/?do=findComment&comment=2917072