Let's Start A Pen Blog

Mineralogy

Hi all!

I am working on starting a blog with a focus on 'utilitarian' pens and paraphernalia. The idea is that we won't be reviewing Mont Blancs and Viscontis on a regular basis, but instead focusing on what's affordable, durable, and functional (think Lamy 2000, TWSBI 580, etc.). I know that craftmanship and aesthetics are a huge part of the hobby, but I think what fountain pens need to stay current is new technology and functionality!

Right now, I'm looking for someone to write reviews with me. I've got everything ready - a nice camera, a variety of pens, appropriate paper, too many ink samples, etc. I've even had businesses contact me offering to send samples already! All I need is a partner!

I'm looking for someone who can compliment my knowledge of pens. While I mostly use fountain pens, hopefully my partner will be someone who is more knowledgeable about ballpoints, gel pens, pencils, etc. This is because I'd like for the blog to cover a broad range and have a large variety of reviews. Ideally, we'd each submit two reviews each month (on different things) and thus have four new reviews published on the blog monthly. It does not matter if you are not in the USA, in fact it may even be better if you have access to popular products that are not readily available in the U.S. Of course, if you'd like to review products or samples offered to the blog by businesses you would have to be able to receive and send mail as well.

Please let me know if you are interested! I will be checking for replies and messages regularly. Feel free to ask me any personal questions (age, occupation, writing sample, etc), I will be glad to provide further information upon request. Hopefully we'll be able to discuss our individual interests and see if we can come to an agreement!

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Mineralogy

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mineralogy

• dkim87

• imleftyoureright

• Cerbervs

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think that a person into fountain pens should be able to cover the ballpoint side of things, because it is basically reviewing the body of a fountain pen. With a ballpoint the refills offer similar writing experiences so basically you need to cover the craftsmanship of the body. You might also need to comment on the balance and other misc. things, but if you can a review a fountain pen do the same thing with a ballpoint minus the nib and filling system.

Edited by Cerbervs

What sort of criteria are you looking for in a partner? Also what are the logistics? CONUS only? Worldwide?

With a ballpoint the refills offer similar writing experiences so basically you need to cover the craftsmanship of the body.

There so many differences between BP and gel refill. You can get 2 Parker refills and sometimes there are some difference in colour or shade and scarceness...

I think that a person into fountain pens should be able to cover the ballpoint side of things, because it is basically reviewing the body of a fountain pen. With a ballpoint the refills offer similar writing experiences so basically you need to cover the craftsmanship of the body. You might also need to comment on the balance and other misc. things, but if you can a review a fountain pen do the same thing with a ballpoint minus the nib and filling system.

Hi Cerbervs,

Thanks for your input! You make a good point. However, the main thing is that I simply do not have as much experience with other types of pens/pencils so I feel that I am less capable of making adequate comparisons. I could only make comparisons to what I already know, which is pretty much old school wooden pencils and fountain pens!

What sort of criteria are you looking for in a partner? Also what are the logistics? CONUS only? Worldwide?

The geographic location does not matter, as long as you are enthusiastic about the project and capable of reviewing new products every once in a while. In fact, it would be great if we had access to different products! The only issue I can think of with living far away is shipping products/samples from businesses.

I am shooting for one to two reviews a month, per person, and thus two to four new reviews on the blog monthly! Ideally we'd review everything from refills/inks to paper.

Like I said, enthusiasm is very important in a partner and that comes right after consistency. I'd really like for this to be a long term project, and I have a number of pens and inks lined up for review!

Thanks for asking those questions, I have also updated the main thread with some of this information.

Apart from my lack of expertise, knowledge, common writing style (lefty), and budget to get pens to review I'd be perfect. Also add in my lack of attention to detail and my uncaring attitude towards measurable specks and I should be at the top of your list.

All kidding aside this sounds like a great blog idea with great potential and am ready to see the reviews you have to offer.

Apart from my lack of expertise, knowledge, common writing style (lefty), and budget to get pens to review I'd be perfect. Also add in my lack of attention to detail and my uncaring attitude towards measurable specks and I should be at the top of your list.

All kidding aside this sounds like a great blog idea with great potential and am ready to see the reviews you have to offer.

Thank you, imleftyoureright! I am actually left-handed as well, but was corrected to be right handed. Lately I've been working on writing with my left hand, hopefully by the time this blog has officially started I'll be able to do both left and right hand reviews!

Thank you, imleftyoureright! I am actually left-handed as well, but was corrected to be right handed. Lately I've been working on writing with my left hand, hopefully by the time this blog has officially started I'll be able to do both left and right hand reviews!

Just gave me a new reason to keep an eye out for the blog! If you ever need a guest reviewer with my uniquely unhelpful perspective you know where to find me!

Hmm I'm interested but I have no exp writing review articles. Also eh my grammar could use some improvement. Nevertheless, I wish you luck with the pen blog.

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow

Just gave me a new reason to keep an eye out for the blog! If you ever need a guest reviewer with my uniquely unhelpful perspective you know where to find me!

Fantastic, I'll definitely let you know if I need your help!

Mineralogy,

I applaud your passion. I stay busy with my own blog but will offer you free hosting and a Wordpress installation if that would help get you off the ground. PM me if interested

Domain name will cost you about $15 a year through goDaddy if you choose that route FYI.

Wish you all the success

Bob

www.mypenneedsink.com

"The fountain pen is mightier than the ballpoint"

My Blog: www.MyPenNeedsInk.com

If you wanted to include guest reviews I would be open to that.

I'll be too busy to contribute every month but I think I'd enjoy having a review every once in a while. I used to have a blog but I had to stop as I was too busy to review regularly. Otherwise, it is something that I really enjoy doing.

I'm also in the UK, so if there's certain products that aren't where you are, I can review them.

Let me know if you need a guest reviewer and I wish you every success!

Post the link up here - you can guarantee I'll be a regular reader :D

Edited by Rocket1

CHECK OUT MA BLOG! www.inkredibleblog.wordpress.com

I'd be interested. I've been collecting pens for the better part of a decade now. I had actally been thinking about starting just such a site, but with life being such as it is, I just haven't had time. I'd gladly partner with someone to help make it happen.

I've done a fair bit of blogging in my time. I currently manage the blog/social media presence for my company.

I've also been a web designer/developer for almost 15 years, so I can help with that side of things as well...

Edited by chad.trent

This sounds like an interesting endeavour.

However, gel pens, ballpoints, rollerballs...

Is there really a large enough market that is interested in this?

No offence meant, just wondering.

Judging from the popularity of JetPens, and the fact that fountain pens are still considered somewhat "niche", I'd say that there's a pretty big market for ballpoints, rollerballs, etc. Although most of us think that fountain pens are the perfect alternative to other writing tools (well, I know I do), there are definitely circumstances where other types of pens/pencils are more suitable, especially depending on the occupation of the individual.

Also, the aim of the blog is to focus on design, functionality and durability so it's really a matter of whatever the reader thinks fulfills his or her needs!

Thanks for commenting!

Mineralogy,

I applaud your passion. I stay busy with my own blog but will offer you free hosting and a Wordpress installation if that would help get you off the ground. PM me if interested

Domain name will cost you about $15 a year through goDaddy if you choose that route FYI.

Wish you all the success

Bob

www.mypenneedsink.com

Thank you, DriedUpBob!

That is a fantastic offer, thank you so much for your kindness!

If you wanted to include guest reviews I would be open to that.

I'll be too busy to contribute every month but I think I'd enjoy having a review every once in a while. I used to have a blog but I had to stop as I was too busy to review regularly. Otherwise, it is something that I really enjoy doing.

I'm also in the UK, so if there's certain products that aren't where you are, I can review them.

Let me know if you need a guest reviewer and I wish you every success!

Post the link up here - you can guarantee I'll be a regular reader :D

I would definitely be interested in having guest reviews, it would be fantastic to have a fresh perspective.

I'll be sure to post the URL on here after I have decided on a good name.

Thanks for the reply! :)

I'd be interested. I've been collecting pens for the better part of a decade now. I had actally been thinking about starting just such a site, but with life being such as it is, I just haven't had time. I'd gladly partner with someone to help make it happen.

I've done a fair bit of blogging in my time. I currently manage the blog/social media presence for my company.

I've also been a web designer/developer for almost 15 years, so I can help with that side of things as well...

Hi chad.trent,

Part of the reason why I want this blog to be coauthored is precisely because of scheduling issues, so I definitely understand where you're coming from.

I'll message you!

Thanks for the reply.

I'd be glad to help. When I was recently looking for a pen for a gift, a good place for reviews of pens and pencils of all kinds would have been a great help! I'm sending a message to you.

Edited by O'Hare