Lamy Vista / Safari Mystery Solved

senzen

So I've had a problem with one Lamy Vista for some time, tried all the useful advice I could find here on FPN, to no avail, but finally managed, maybe this will help others, the vista is a transparent safari.

The problem: the pen would write for a paragraph or two, and then stop dead in its tracks. I tried the usual soaking overnight in water, soaking overnight with a drop of dish soap, dismantling the pen... Nothing would work. In desperation I tried fiddling with the nib, bending it in the process, I even bought another converter... Nothing.

The solution: the feed is made of two parts, there's a top section that comes off easily, and lo and behold, there was gunk made up of fibers and dried ink inside. Cleaned this and it's been three days with no problems - except for the battered nib but that's my fault. Please excuse the photo, it's the best my phone can do.

post-80983-0-18491400-1402702234.jpg

Edited by pseudo88

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• senzen

• sotto2

• Sasha Royale

• Algester

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks from myself and others. Good place to look for "gunk". Regular flushing is good maintenance.

By the way, I think the Al-Star is an aluminum Safari.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

So, how did you get the feed out?

It comes out easily, you first take the nib out, and then grab the protruding feed from the sides, looking at it horizontally, and pull gently but with force; I find that taking it with a cloth or tissue paper helps in getting a hold of it.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Some of the feeds are TIGHT in the section.

I have 2 that have resisted all my efforts to remove them, without resorting to a plier to hold the feed.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Totally agree, the feeds are tightly fitted into the section.

I found I needed to hold the finger grip section with a grippy mat (anti-slip mat from pound/Dollar shops), and hold the feed across it's width with another grippy mat. Pull very sharply, and grip the two halves very tightly, you may need to try this several times. Note that there is a 'bump' or detent in the feed which you have to get past, then the feed will slide out easily.

As you rebuild the nib, you can feel the detent click just as the feed gets into the correct place, that's why it's SO difficult to remove the feed initially.

Also note that the feed only goes back into the finger grip section in one way, look for the two 'rails' inside the section and the line on the feed, they must fit together.

Hey, thanks for these additional details. Sounds like falling off a log.......not.

http://i59.tinypic.com/ekfh5f.jpg

Much better photo, the "tracks" on the main part where also obstructed, don't know if it made a difference but they were also clogged up in parts, took an x-acto knife to dislodge them without trying to cut through...

B. Russell

It sure takes a heck of a pull to get it lose, at least the one I took apart a couple weeks ago sure did! Once it was apart, it was extremely simple to clean (just tossed it in the ultrasonic for five minutes) and it went back together very easily.

You can also wrap a piece of scotch tape around the feed and pull it out