How Should I Improve?

silver ink

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag175/ink00/1_zps3cb3c83f.jpg

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag175/ink00/2_zps6c45359a.jpg

Edited by silver ink

"On every dishonest man,there are two watchmen,his possessions and his way of living."

Hazrat Umar bin Khattab (May Allah be pleased with him)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• silver ink

• BookCat

• proton007

• perrins57

i want to learn copperplate

"On every dishonest man,there are two watchmen,his possessions and his way of living."

Go for uniform letter height, your letters get smaller towards the end of words.

Song of Solomon 4:12 ~ You are my private garden, my treasure, my bride, a secluded spring, a hidden fountain Pen

Amber Italix Parsons Essential Fine Cursive Stub & Churchman's Prescriptor Bold Italic, Parker 25 F, Twsbi Mini EF, Platinum #3776 Bourgogne SF, Platinum Maki-e Kanazawa Mt. Fuji Med, Platinum President F, Platinum desk pen, Platinum PG250,

Summit 125 Med flex, Conway Stewart Scribe No 330 Fine flex, Stephens 103 F, Mock Blanc 146 F, Pelikan 200 with 14k EF nib, and a Jinhao 675. - I have also sent a Noodler's Ahab & Creeper to recycling.

should the hand also move horizontally towards the left as we write a word or it is supposed to remain on same spot and only fingers should be adjusted to complete the word?

you are right my letters are getting smaller

Edited by silver ink

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag175/ink00/3_zps571b1b52.jpg

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag175/ink00/4_zps80459a6e.jpg

Your "needs improvement" penmanship far outshines mine. It looks really good to me...keep up the good work.

thanks

i will practice and post more

Yes, move the hand, otherwise the movement is limited to the fingers and you are drawing more than writing. It's hard to get freedom of movement as it involves re-learning muscle movement and using muscles in the arm more and hand less. This is what I struggle most with, after years of writing just with the hand I'm learning to use the arm and it's weird at first; but like with all things it's about practice.

Song of Solomon 4:12 ~ You are my private garden, my treasure, my bride, a secluded spring, a hidden fountain Pen

Amber Italix Parsons Essential Fine Cursive Stub & Churchman's Prescriptor Bold Italic, Parker 25 F, Twsbi Mini EF, Platinum #3776 Bourgogne SF, Platinum Maki-e Kanazawa Mt. Fuji Med, Platinum President F, Platinum desk pen, Platinum PG250,

Summit 125 Med flex, Conway Stewart Scribe No 330 Fine flex, Stephens 103 F, Mock Blanc 146 F, Pelikan 200 with 14k EF nib, and a Jinhao 675. - I have also sent a Noodler's Ahab & Creeper to recycling.

yes its never late and with practice one can improve

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag175/ink00/9_zpsf310db2a.jpg

Edited by silver ink

yes its never late and with practice one can improve

Also consider what style and purpose you need to improve for. Your current handwriting is written slowly but looks good, however if you want your handwriting to be fast and attractive at the same time you'll need to practice letter formations.

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

The classic Spencerian workbooks are a useful tool.

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag175/ink00/16_zps8bacea03.jpg

Also consider what style and purpose you need to improve for. Your current handwriting is written slowly but looks good, however if you want your handwriting to be fast and attractive at the same time you'll need to practice letter formations.

sir you are right

i right slowly sometimes i even pause for 2,3 seconds in the middle of the word to figure out how to introduce the next letter usually when "r" "p" "f" and "v" come

thanks a lot.

Edited by silver ink

should the hand also move horizontally towards the left as we write a word or it is supposed to remain on same spot and only fingers should be adjusted to complete the word?

you are right my letters are getting smaller

People who write Spencerian or Copperplate (round hand) typically slide the paper with the non-writing hand every few characters. This maintains the relationship between eye and hand. People writing formal Italic do this, as well, for the same reason. Writers of cursive italic typically do slide their hands down the writing line. Spencerian cannot be written successfully unless the hand is free to move in all directions.

As a general note, your hand should never be so anchored to the page that either the hand or page can't be repositioned without breaking rhythm.

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

you are right sir.there is no rhythm right now.

i have to stop in the middle of the word sometimes to determine how to introduce the next letter and it causes the ink to spread as i do not lift pen during that pause.

i am new to calligraphy and i will consider your advice as i proceed.

thanks a lot.

this a practice sheet from today.

i have left the stub nib pen

previously as @proton007 had said i was writing slowly and applying more pressure on paper

i am trying not to write too slowly now

cause while slowing down pressure also increases

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag175/ink00/23_zps9cb3c496.jpg

I find your letter forms are consistent, but you need to work on improving those forms, and the overall flow of the hand.

I know you want to learn Copperplate, however, you also need to practice movements (hand and arm) to gain flow and consistency. Use the iampeth website http://www.iampeth.com/lessons.php and choose a style to practice. Once you've acquired the correct movements, it's easier to write fast and flowing cursive, as well as pick up Copperplate.

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

I find your letter forms are consistent, but you need to work on improving those forms, and the overall flow of the hand.

I know you want to learn Copperplate, however, you also need to practice movements (hand and arm) to gain flow and consistency. Use the iampeth website http://www.iampeth.com/lessons.php and choose a style to practice. Once you've acquired the correct movements, it's easier to write fast and flowing cursive, as well as pick up Copperplate.

thanks sir for the link

i am looking at it now

will practice and then post again.

Edited by silver ink

Just curious, but wondering why you use "i" instead of "I" for the personal pronoun. Being old-school, this really made me stop each time I came to it, as if I were stubbing my toe on something. Prevented a smooth reading otherwise. Also, your lowercase letters are over half the height of your line spacing, which decreases the height difference in the capitals and lower case. Don't worry, I am learning, too! Perhaps someone can enlighten me. :)