M800 Vs M800 Tortoise Vs M1000

parnesh

I am thinking about the possibility of a high end pelikan. I need to trim my collection first and a nakaya or Sailor KOP are further up the list but I thought of getting everyones opinion especially since the tortoise is still available and at decent prices (hopefully go lower before higher).

In particular, I have heard that the m800 and m1000 nibs are very different. I am more partial to springier nibs.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• parnesh

• Eccles

• PatientType

• georges zaslavsky

I can't speak for the M800 but I have a Pelikan M1005 (EF) and a Nakaya (FF Flexible-Fine). I can tell you I prefer the Pelikan nib by just a bit - it 'feels' more solid yet is deliciously soft and just a hair on the wet side. The Nakaya is great too but I would recommend the M1000's first if you can find it at a good price! I have other less-springy nibs and they just aren't very interesting (no matter how smooth they may be) once you experience springy nibs. I hope this helps!

Edited by Huynh Son Do

I am more partial to springier nibs.

Well, I have both, and if springy is your preference, then you should go with the 1000.

However, the 800 size is more appealing to me.

My 800 is in the old style with gold disc on the end cap. My 1000 is only a year or two old. In enjoy the 1000's nib more but enjoy the old style 800 more all together. If I could only have one it would be the 800, but that would be only if the 800 was an old style. If both pens have to be modern, I would take the 1000.

Edited by jochums

I have 2 of each; both have their merits, and I would hate to choose between them.

I find that the M1000 nibs are definitely springier than those of most modern pens, whereas the M800s have a more 'normal' modern nib.

Nibs apart, it boils down to your preference in pen size, pretty much as others have said above.

One part of me wishes they'd do a M1000 in tortoise while there are still some less common nibs around, the other part cringes at the likely expense!

Glenn.

I've never fancied the 1000 ones but have a black 805 and the brown/tortoise 800. Two of my favourite pens.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I am thinking about the possibility of a high end pelikan. I need to trim my collection first and a nakaya or Sailor KOP are further up the list but I thought of getting everyones opinion especially since the tortoise is still available and at decent prices (hopefully go lower before higher).

In particular, I have heard that the m800 and m1000 nibs are very different. I am more partial to springier nibs.

My opinion: buy a M900 Toledo. It's expensive but worth it - and beautiful to behold. The M800 tortoise just doesn't do it for me - too dark for me - the brown looks almost black. What I would LOVE to see is a white tortoiseshell M800!

Edited by Tancred

The m800 is a very good if not perfect size for me. However I don't have an oversize pen in my collection at the moment (does the Visconti HS count?). I might keep a look out for a "vintage" m800 in the meantime. I am about to blow my budget for the next 3-6 mnths on something else .... argh! so many nice pens...

I chose the M1000 because it has a "springier" nib than the 1005. The M800 is very substantial, but the M1000 is a

big, heavy fountain pen. It's glorious !

Don't buy these "blind". Feel - Heft - Fondle, .before committing six or seven hundred dollars.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I chose the M1000 because it has a "springier" nib than the 1005. The M800 is very substantial, but the M1000 is a

big, heavy fountain pen. It's glorious !

Don't buy these "blind". Feel - Heft - Fondle, .before committing six or seven hundred dollars.

I have "played" with an m800 but a m1000 is harder to find in Oz. Plus the local B&M hate it when you fondle and leave :P. Can't blame them but an m1000 would be atleast 25% dearer here.

I prefer the 800 to the 1000 and the it the Tortoise it the prettiest 800 to me!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

The nib on the M1000 is going to be softer than the M800, but they can also be tempermental. If you go for the M1000 be sure to buy from a trusted source who also offers service.

i have both pens, and if you want "springy," then no modern pelikan can be springier than the M1000. i got mine with an OB nib, which i subsequently reground to a stubbish B, and it just lays down a gorgeously smooth, wet line:

7459117722_1538b808dc_b.jpg

7533142704_8467333247_b.jpg

the size of the M800 actually works better for me, if i'm looking for an everyday pen--but springy? go for the M1000.

that said, if you're going for an M800, you might as well go for the tortoise. i had one for two days--great pen, but had to resell it while it was mint to help finance a bigger purchase (an oscar wilde). now all i have is a picture and a memory:

13918815716_e7eb9113d3_b.jpg

Edited by penmanila

Check out my blog and my pens

i have both pens, and if you want "springy," then no modern pelikan can be springier than the M1000. i got mine with an OB nib, which i subsequently reground to a stubbish B, and it just lays down a gorgeously smooth, wet line:

7459117722_1538b808dc_b.jpg

7533142704_8467333247_b.jpg

the size of the M800 actually works better for me, if i'm looking for an everyday pen--but springy? go for the M1000.

Thanks! Great pics. That thing really is a spade! Another reason I like the m1000 is the huge nib.

The nib on the M1000 is going to be softer than the M800, but they can also be tempermental. If you go for the M1000 be sure to buy from a trusted source who also offers service.

Definately. If I do buy one brand new, then I will definitely be getting it from a nibmeister. Most likely a medium stub or something like that.

I have no Pelikans, but am thinking of getting an M800 Tortoise. Not sure what nib size yet.

Smith Premier No. 4

The Tortoise is my favorite colour in the M800/5 series. The size is my daily writer.

But, if you want springy nib, then the M1000 has that edge. My BB nib on the M1000 certainly has some flex, but you still have to be careful not to apply too much pressure...

In terms of comparison, if your dealer has a MB 149, it is comparable in size ( uncapped the M1000 is a few mms longer ) and the nibs are similar, but the M1000 weights a few more grams. At least that could help you in terms of size in hand vs the M800.

But yes try the actual pen if possible as only you can decide on the fit in hand & nib response.

I have an M1000 an M1005 and several M800s. The M1000s write beautifully and, as others have indicated, with a springy nib. The M800s write beautifully with a stiff nib. If I'm writing something where line variation is desired, I ink up one of the M1000s. If I'm doing business writing the M800 is hard to beat as one can write more quickly with a stiff nib.

I've had not one issue or problem with any of these pens. Pelikans may not be as glamorous as some of their Italian cousins but, in my experience, they have outstanding design and manufacturing quality control.

I'd like to own a Tortoise M800 but I'm not prepared to pay almost double the price of an M800 of another color.

parnesh, given your affinity for springy nibs, the M1000 is your only choice. You'll love the feel and performance of the M1000.

II'd like to own a Tortoise M800 but I'm not prepared to pay almost double the price of an M800 of another color.

It's not that bad a differential.... even a quick search finds that pengallery.com has the tortoiseshell at $554 vs $421 for the regular colours.

Glenn.