• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• encremental

• smiorgan

• amberleadavis

• alc3261

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love a good orange. My Noodler's Apache Sunset is what I use when I grade papers for my teachers.

I spotted that one too in the CP newsletter. Would really like to see how they're stretching the definition of deep and dark with this one. I love orange ink too, though.

I have all five predecessors -- from what I can tell they're darker versions of

Blue -- Midnight

Red -- Oxblood

Green -- Green/Black (or Umber?)

Brown -- Macassar

Purple -- Grape

What are the bets on Orange? Pumpkin? Sunset?

Hmm, this is the sound of inevitability.

I don't do orange but it will probably be a popular one, based on the others in the Deep Dark range.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Mine arrived yesterday :)

It's very much in the mould of Noodler's Cayenne or Antietam - perhaps halfway between the two (which is great for us in the UK as Noodler's is virtually unbtainable), and surprisingly marks out a new are of the spectrum for Diamine to explore. I didn't think that there were any of those left! For a Deep Dark it has a fair bit of shading. If you are fond of Cooper's Oxford Marmalade, you'll know the colour well.

Smiorgan, - well ... all inks are one colour mixed with another, aren't they? I would say that the entirety of Diamine's 130+ range is made from maybe eight colours in varying combinations with perhaps additives to control physical factors like transparency, drying time etc. I reckon the Deep Darks are faster drying and have less shading than the inks you mentioned (especially DD Red when compared to Oxblood, which really is an old smearer). Just be thankful that it is the colours which are different, and not just the names ( Akkerman stylee).

John

Hmm I'm intrigued. I often use Diamine Pumpkin for cards and correspondence, but this looks like it might be slightly more useable for notes etc? Any thoughts on that encremental?

These inks are rapidly becoming my everyday use inks. I love the colors, and they flow so well in my collection of EF and F nibs.

Strictlyobiter - yes, it would be a perfectly practical colour for cards & correspondence. In fact I wrote a birthday card with it this very afternoon!

John

I'd love to see a snapshot of a writing sample with DDO, if anyone has one they can post.

Me too, especially next to Diamine Pumpkin (and any others) for a little comparison. Although, I would take a swab sample too.

Smith Premier No. 4

Just a quick idea of it, compared to a few others I had to hand. The colour looks reasonable on my screen.

post-7552-0-05256200-1402506673_thumb.jpg

I think it's the deepest and darkest orange I have!

John

That and the blaze orange look awesome. I don't have any orange inks. Why is this?

Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.

Yes, Blaze Orange is amazing. It has possibly even better shading than Caran d'Ache Saffron without either the expense or the discontinuedness. A top five Orange, definitely.

... all inks are one colour mixed with another, aren't they? I would say that the entirety of Diamine's 130+ range is made from maybe eight colours in varying combinations with perhaps additives to control physical factors like transparency, drying time etc. I reckon the Deep Darks are faster drying and have less shading than the inks you mentioned (especially DD Red when compared to Oxblood, which really is an old smearer). Just be thankful that it is the colours which are different, and not just the names ( Akkerman stylee).

John

Yes, obviously Diamine must be using a small number of base colours. It couldn't be a viable manufacturing operation otherwise.

Comparisons of the colours is going to be subjective -- especially with images on a screen -- but a bit of chromatography on DDB and Midnight show they have very similar components. If I were going to make an exclusive ink I would tweak and existing product line rather than formulate something completely new. But I'm not complaining, I love all the Diamine/CP range and the new DDO looks like the business.

Thanks for the swabs. DDO looks magnificent. A lot like the PR Orange Crush swab on thewritingdesk.co.uk

(FWIW I've found DDR smears, Oxblood doesn't)

Just a quick idea of it, compared to a few others I had to hand. The colour looks reasonable on my screen.

attachicon.gifDD orange.jpg

I think it's the deepest and darkest orange I have!

John

WOW I love the image and the pen.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Having tried it, I'd describe it as a fractionally more orange version of Ancient Copper.

Cheers, Al