Pilot Red... Pink?

Tom Traubert

Hello all.

Just received some red IC50 cartridges for my 78g - I've given up on both the Con 20 and 50 converters as only the black cartridges seem to give anything like decent flow. However, the ink in them appears very light indeed and they write in something I'd consider closer to pink than red.

Have I got a watered-down batch, or is this just the colour they are? I actually quite like it and it's very smooth to write with, so won't be complaining if this is what they're meant to do.

FYI the paper is a Paperblanks notebook, so reasonable quality.

http://i.imgur.com/jmyPekE.jpg?1

Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Traubert

• SallyLyn

• colrehogan

• torstar

Top Posters In This Topic

Know nothing about the ink, but if you are having flow problems on a 78G I find that very strange. I consider the Pilot 78G to be rock solid, great flow, great nibs. I use most of my Pilots with the squeeze converter. I would suggest for the converters (and the 78G) a good flushing. I use 1/2-2/3 cup of water with less than a normal drop of liquid dishwashing detergent. A hint of bubbles. Several in takes of the solution and expel in sink, repeat few times. Can let solution sit in the converter for several minutes even inverting the converter so the solution gets to very top of converter. Rinse several times with clear water. This can be done attached to pen also. Idea is to clear out any old dried ink or any oils left over from manufacturing of converter, pen.

Sorry if you know all that and have done.

Although I can only lay my hands on Pilot BP red ink at the moment (not sure if Momiji) counts as red or pink, but putting the two together next to Diamine Deep Dark Red gives an appearance similar to what you posted above.

Smith Premier No. 4

Thanks for the replies. DDR is a wee bit darker than Red Dragon, I think.

It seems to have become a little darker, which leads me to believe I'd not let the nib section dry thoroughly after the last flush (which did include a soak in some mildly soapy water); I feel rather foolish now.

I think I have to reconcile myself to a couple of things:

• I shouldn't be expected a £7 pen to be as wet as one costing 5 (or even 10) times as much.
  • Pilot cheapo ink is not as good (IMHO) as Diamine.

Despite this the pen works again, after being too dry and scratchy with more expensive inks. I'm happy with it.

Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.

over the years some reds were so watery that i couldn't give them away, poured the contents down the sink and used the bottle for other purposes.

I bought a pack of Pilot red cartridges once. They were watery, pink, exactly like yours.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

I only have experience with the Pilot Mixable ink cartridges. The red that came with my Parallel is quite red. I've give them a try if you're looking for a Pilot red cartridge. I believe you can buy the individual colors now instead of just the combo pack.

So many inks, so little time...