The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pilot 78G Question

pilot 78g bad flow

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Traubert

Tom Traubert

Mint - both Linux and pens :)

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2014 - 16:04

Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere.  If it has, I won't be offended by a cursory link in that direction.

My Pilot 78g has spent the last few months confined to a drawer after becoming scratchy and rubbish.  I'd been using a Con 50 and had tried a variety of inks.

Despite it being my cheapest pen by a good £10 I missed it dearly so I popped one of the proprietary black cartridges in last night and, lo and behold, it's smooth and beautiful again.  I promptly ordered a pack of red Pilot cartridges and am looking forward to bringing it into my marking rotation*.

So my question is this: has this happened to anyone else?

Unrelated: I'm waiting for Bronze Lizard MR (Metropolitan to you guys) that will be used with Diamine Imperial Purple cartridges.  Quite excited.

*I divide the number of items I have to mark by the number of pens currently holding ink on the broadly red spectrum (runs from Magenta - Oxblood via Ancient Copper) and keep myself motivated with the promise of a new colour every X books/papers.  Is this nerdy?  I don't care...

Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.

Sponsored Content

#2 Zanshin

Zanshin

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2014 - 18:28

Are you sure it wasn't the paper. Some nib and paper combinations just don't play well together and I've had pens that are usually nice and smooth feel absolutely awful on a certain paper while other pens aren't so badly affected
Toodle pip

#3 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,535 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:15

I have a DRY 78G also.

I was about to adjust the nib to increase the ink flow, when I decided to try a really WET ink in the pen.

This ink would BLOT and feather BADLY on all of my test papers, using my standard test pens.

So I figured a really wet ink with a dry pen, might work, and it did.

The ink in question is Noodler's Emerald City Green.

It is a really nice green, but way too wet for most of my pens.

Out of my dry 78G, it works just fine...so far.

So, you do have to match the flow characteristics of the pen to the flow characteristics of the ink.

- Dry pen with wet ink.

- Wet pen with dry ink.

What does not work is:

- Dry pen with dry ink, you get hard starts and skipping or even little to no ink flow.

- Wet pen with wet ink, you get ink pooling or even dripping/drooling ink from the nib.

If you want a pen to work with a specific ink, you may have to adjust the nib to match the flow characteristics of the ink.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pilot 78g, bad flow

Sponsored Content

|