The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Simple Fonts Suitable For A Ballpoint Pen

improvement ballpoint handwriting beginner

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Starwalkertexasranger

Starwalkertexasranger

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 June 2014 - 16:53

Hi all,

First of all I would like to say that I am incredibly impressed by a lot of the various handwriting I see on this site.

I am a product of the increased digitalisation of everything in that I am practically unable to write by hand in a manner that is legible to anyone but myself, and having recently been given a rather nice Mont Blanc ballpoint pen I feel obliged to put the time in to learn how use it properly.

I have been looking for a simple but nice looking font such as perhaps Italic #4 to adopt, but find that such styles are better suited to fountain pens.

What are your recomendations for a complete novice with a ballpoint pen?

(Appologies if this type of thread is too common around here)

Edited by Starwalkertexasranger, 08 June 2014 - 16:57.

Sponsored Content

#2 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,530 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 June 2014 - 17:53

Italic or palmer or similar.

Nothing about them that prohibits you from using a ball pen.

In fact some of the teaching books say to use a pencil or ball pen to start with, so you concentrate on letter form, not the pen.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#3 Algester

Algester

(´Д⊂ヽ

• Member - Gold

• 5,786 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:52

Palmer or Print and there's shorthand but I don't think thats impressive...

#4 Sean Kristoffer

Sean Kristoffer

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2014 - 19:13

Italic or palmer or similar.

Nothing about them that prohibits you from using a ball pen.

In fact some of the teaching books say to use a pencil or ball pen to start with, so you concentrate on letter form, not the pen.

Palmer or Print and there's shorthand but I don't think thats impressive...

But, aren't pencils and ballpoint pens unsuitable for performing the given exercises for practicing especially the Palmer method? (I actually hope you guys would say no to this one.) 

#5 Starwalkertexasranger

Starwalkertexasranger

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2014 - 20:18

I realise this perhaps was a bit of a silly question, but thanks for the answers. I think I will try my hand at Italic as there is a decent guide to it in the stickied threads.

Do any of you know of any good (and preferably free) resource for practice material and general guidance? Would be much appreciated!

#6 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 9,530 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2014 - 21:00

But, aren't pencils and ballpoint pens unsuitable for performing the given exercises for practicing especially the Palmer method? (I actually hope you guys would say no to this one.) 

I think I learned to write script in grade school with a pencil.

It is letter form that you are after. 

What you write with does not matter.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#7 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Super Pinks member:

• Member - Gold

• 8,763 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:07

letter forms first, the tool you use really is secondary.

I learned to write most likely with a pencil (I don't recall it being a fountain pen, so it must have been a pencil) back in the early to mid 1960's. In Junior High school I picked up the ALL CAPS architect/draftsman style lettering in a shop class using some sort of mechanical pencil if I recall correctly, in conjunction with a T-square and appropriate other equipment. 

Regardless of what hand you write in, letter forms are first, tools second. Obviously there are some hands which need certain tools as well in order to do properly, but italic, palmer or other business hand are not among them.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

#8 Algester

Algester

(´Д⊂ヽ

• Member - Gold

• 5,786 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:19

I learned palmer using a pencil...

#9 Sean Kristoffer

Sean Kristoffer

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2014 - 15:14

I think I learned to write script in grade school with a pencil.

It is letter form that you are after. 

What you write with does not matter.

I learned palmer using a pencil...

Oh, I see. Thanks! I'm learning arm writing using a pencil.  :D

#10 D B Holtz

D B Holtz

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 17:02

I realise this perhaps was a bit of a silly question, but thanks for the answers. I think I will try my hand at Italic as there is a decent guide to it in the stickied threads.

Do any of you know of any good (and preferably free) resource for practice material and general guidance? Would be much appreciated!

IAMPETH is a good (and free) source:

http://www.iampeth.com/lessons.php

I used the Spencerian material.  You don't have to do the shading or engrossing, and you still end up with a very nice hand.

DB

#11 PrestoTenebroso

PrestoTenebroso

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 17:37

A tip for handwriting practice: Be in the right mood. It makes a hell of a difference. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: improvement, ballpoint, handwriting, beginner

Sponsored Content

|