Pelikan Level Problems, Questions

JulioPB

Hi:

I bought a Level 65, one of the cheapest ones, NOS from SIngapore, just for curiosity.

I finally loaded the barrel.

Very complicated, and ink drops everywhere from both, the barrell and the bottle.

Well, two questios,

Does anybody know how to make flowing ink through the nib, not having a piston?

Does anybody know how to open the bottle for refilling it with ink?

Thanks for your help.

Julio from Mexico,

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JulioPB

• rockydoggy

• OCArt

• liberdom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've got a couple of these pens and have one of them in use all of the time--really nice smooth nibs for the price. I'm not sure exactly how to address the problem you mention re: leaks. You might look at the detailed descriptions of how to fill these pens on-line; I think there's a video of the process as well. I'm wondering if you might not have the end of barrel (the part that turns) aligned correctly, but I'm not sure. It took me a while to get the hang of it. Re: the bottle--in the case of mine, the top simply unscrews and you can pour in new ink.

I had two Pelikan Level fountain pens, neither of which worked properly and both of which were very scratchy writers. I had purchased them due to advertised larger ink capacity but the only aspect of these pens that was actually larger was the accompanying level of frustration that they provided.

I received an email advertisement from PenGallery stating that they had acquired some new old stock Pelikan Level 65 pens, and I saw Pelikan Level 65 pens listed on eBay by RedFingerprint. I considered trying yet another one but there are better uses for my money than a pen design that has already disappointed me and wasted my money twice.

The pen barrell is full of ink, but no ink flow at all through the nib.

There is no any leak.

After being loaded, there were drops an the end of the barrel and outside the bottle cap.

If there is not a piston or converter. How do I make the ink flow through the nib?

Julio

You need to turn the knob with the point down to let the ink down from the barrel into the smaller chamber, then turn the knob back to the normal position. That's if you didn't do that already. I couldn't tell. If you did that already, then something else is wrong.

Is it really leaking, where, and how, and why? You filled it with the bottle over the pen, right?

I have both Level L65s and L5s. They all work as they should.

Ink flow tends to be dry but the nib is very smooth.

The instruction for use is very simple and understandable.

Loading the pen with ink from the special bottle is very easy.

Got the pen without instruction leaflet?

Here's one I've found in the box of L65.

post-25796-0-81251400-1402204743_thumb.jpg

Once the barrel is filled, turn the knob as instructed to let the ink flow into the front part(step 2 to 3).

Then, capillary action will lead the ink to the nib.

And, how to refill the bottle ---- turn the cap anti-clockwise.

The cap is glued so you need some effort.

The bottles shown left above in my post are all re-filled and re-labelled.

I hope you will enjoy your L65.

What I really liked about my Pelikan Level pens was that they would not leak even if I shook them; I even took them outside and shook them hard -- no leaks. The filling system was easy to use too. But, unfortunately, the pens would not write.

Please do not give up on your Pelikan Level as one of my friends had a Pelikan Level that did work. It always amused him that my pens did not work while his did. We figured that both of my pens were from the same defective batch.

Thanks to you all for your help,

I will try it again all the procedure,

Best,

Julio

Thank you all for your help,

I have good flow now.

I placed the pen down, but the points in writing position, so I assume the ink did not go 'till the nib.

Now, I had placed the pen down with the two points on line and 'bingo'

Next step is to fill the bottle with my favorite ink.

have a nice Sunday, now I have mine,

Julio

PS - Maybe I will buy another one,

I had an L5 with the same problem: it would not feed and write.

You can disassemble, but you need three hands.

And the plastic is very soft. You might get it back together, but it will be the last time.

Not worth it, IMHO.

As I have multiple Level L65 pens - red, green, yellow and dark blue, I can use different inks in different pens.

But if you have only one Level pen and want to change ink, you have to thoroughly clean the pen.

As mentioned by Russ, it's very difficult to disassembling a Level pen.

Filling mechanism of L65 is basically the same as L5.

To clean your Level pen, an empty ink bottle is necessary.

Here's my method.

1. Remove the nib and feed first (simply pull out).

2. Fill the ink bottle with water.

3. Fill the pen barrel with water from the ink bottle.

4. Turn the filling knob and let the ink flow into the front chamber.

5. Empty the front chamber by any method you like.

Repeat step 4 and 5.

If the barrel became empty, go back to step 3.

When you run out of the water in the bottle, go back to step 2.

Repeat until you feel you've done.

6. Let the pen dry.

7. Fit the nib and feed.

8. Fill the pen with new ink.

Good luck!

Thank you Tor,

I never clean pens, just load with different ink,

Usually I use blue inks, so the difference is just marginal,

Best,

Julio

The pens can be repaired for free....Chartpack for them bought in the States...Pelikan Hanover for the rest, unless you are in England where they have a National Pelikan repair site too.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Another option to add to TorPelikan's really helpful suggestions:

I wanted to refill one of my Level pens but I couldn't find the special bottle I have that's designed for doing so. The pen in question had some hairline cracks in the section so I decided to experiment by using a blunt-needle syringe to inject ink through the hole in the top of the pen. Although you need to be careful to work with relatively small amounts of ink because of the pressure generated by the ink displacing air in the barrel, the syringe approach worked fine. I would imagine that you could use it to facilitate cleaning the pen as well.

By the way, I was able to repair the hairline cracks with a couple of coatings of clear nail polish.

• 6 years later...

Years later I've finally gotten Pelikan Level 5 to play with. These postings helped bring it alive, especially how to fill (and align the dots when done!). Interesting pen, hold a tonne of ink and a smooth if Sheaffer nail like nib. My thanks for the guidance.

I'm also a Level 5 user and keep one handy at all times. It never fails to start, has a wonderfully smooth nib and an ink supply that lasts for months and months. When I got mine I dumped out and saved the royal blue ink that came in the special bottle and refilled it with Noodlers 54th Massachusetts. This has proved to be a great combo and since the ink is water proof I can address envelopes with it.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

I got an L65 over 20 years ago and used it quite a bit. I liked the nib - it had some spring to it, and I wrote very well with it. Alas, it developed hairline cracks in the section and started leaking.

I also got an L5. Its nib is a nail, but I can use the L65 nib in it. Also unfortunately, it developed a flow problem, and runs dry after a paragraph or so. I have never been able to fix that by cleaning and flushing, and attempting to adjust the feed.

Chumango, I wonder if you did step 3 from the instruction book posted in this thread? That step fills the area above the nib. It may take some time for the ink to flow down so I'd leave the pen cap down for several hours. A slight tap on the side of the barrel helps too. (This step is akin to loosening the filling knob on a Pilot 823.)

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

I did all the steps. I am quite familiar with how it works. It worked fine for several years, through a number of fillings. Then it just dried up, like something is blocking or restricting the feed. I have attempted to flush it several times, to no avail. I have removed the nib and feed and they look fine. Just a stingy feed.