The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Twsbi 580 Stubs And Twsbi Mini Stubs - Same?

twsbi 580

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 I like mango cheesecake

I like mango cheesecake

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2014 - 20:57

Can anyone tell me if the TWSBI stubs for the mini are the same width as the stubs for the 580?  I recall reading a post from someone saying that the 580 1.1stub is closer to 1.3mm.  Can anyone corroborate this?

My real question is: how big is the 1.5 stub for 580? Going on the supposition that the.1.1 is closer to 1.3, would this make the 1.5 much bigger than stated?

Sponsored Content

#2 Tom Traubert

Tom Traubert

Mint - both Linux and pens :)

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2014 - 18:31

I found that there was precious little difference between my 1.1mm 580 and my 1.5mm Mini.  I got the Mini later, so tried exchanging the nib but it was still the same.  In the end, I put a standard medium nib on my 580 and kept the stub on my Mini.  I'm happy with the way things have turned out, but found the discrepancy pretty annoying.

Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.

#3 I like mango cheesecake

I like mango cheesecake

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:10

I found that there was precious little difference between my 1.1mm 580 and my 1.5mm Mini.  I got the Mini later, so tried exchanging the nib but it was still the same.  In the end, I put a standard medium nib on my 580 and kept the stub on my Mini.  I'm happy with the way things have turned out, but found the discrepancy pretty annoying.

So would you say that the 1.1 on the 580 is about the same size or much wider than the 1.5mm on the Mini? 

I'm looking for something bigger than the Mini's 1.1mm.  If your observations are correct, then the 1.1mm on the 580 would be bigger.

#4 Tom Traubert

Tom Traubert

Mint - both Linux and pens :)

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 June 2014 - 13:06

So would you say that the 1.1 on the 580 is about the same size or much wider than the 1.5mm on the Mini? 

I'm looking for something bigger than the Mini's 1.1mm.  If your observations are correct, then the 1.1mm on the 580 would be bigger.

I found them to be roughly the same size.  If my experience is how it goes generally, the size range would look like this:

Mini 1.1 < 580 1.1/Mini 1.5 < 580 1.5

Hope that makes sense.

Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.

#5 Berelleza

Berelleza

Master of Zero

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:52

Samples anyone? I am holding the right hqnd with the left in order not to buy one.

#6 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:00

I have a few stubs for comparison here - sorry, the only TWSBI is the Diamond 580 1.5mm.  You'll see it looks somewhat wider than the Goulet 1.1mm stub - but a little slimmer (maybe?) than the two Sheaffers.  Then again, the two Sheaffers are crisp italics (calligraphy nibs) rather than stubs - and the 1.3 and 1.5 (from two different pen sets) look very similar!

Theoretically, the Mini and 580 stub nibs should draw the same line; in practice, they may be a little inconsistent - but then again, the ink and paper involved can make some contribution to line width too??

SFgYwzl.jpg

#7 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:01

Should mention too, the Goulet nib and the 1.5mm nib were 'dipped' rather than fed from the pen - that may also have impacted the apparent line width...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: twsbi 580

Sponsored Content

|