The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Love/hate Diamine Eclipse, What's A Good Replacement?

diamine diamine eclipse purple

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 FountainPenCowgirl

FountainPenCowgirl

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:10

Oh, that's an interesting one... it seems a bit redder to me... maybe that's just the Goulet comparison tool

It's been a while since I tested Eclipse, but Ebony Purple is a staple for me. I believe that the bottled version definitely is redder. BUT (and I know it doesn't address the need here, but i find this interesting) the cartridge version probably would be a very close match. It's bluer to me than the bottled ink. Both are fantastic, by the way. I use both of them daily.

Edited by FountainPenCowgirl, 07 June 2014 - 12:11.

Sponsored Content

#22 FriedIceCream

FriedIceCream

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 June 2014 - 13:13

I too find Eclipse on the drier side and was overall underwhelmed with it. It was one of the first bottled inks I ever ordered, and I was so jazzed about the color at the time I bought it But here I am 3 years later, the bottle is still about half full and I haven't filled from it since Idk when, the last time I used it at all was in a mix I was playing around with.

My everyday blue-black and all around favorite ink is Iroshizuku Shin-kai.  It doesn't have the purple overtones of the Diamine Midnight, but its a very professional, very well behaved ink.

Thanks! I too use shin-kai and I have it in my daily carry 3776 right now.  I love it.  But yeah, not purple.

I'll third this, I love me some Shin-kai. If not my favorite ink definitely in my top 3. Love the color, a not too heavy on the black blue/black, and what a writer! Definitely not purple though. :)

I"d really consider adding a flow enhancer like glycerin before I changed an ink that I LOVE.

Where would one pick up some good 'ol glycerine at? What's is usual everyday purpose? I can't say that I've ever come across it in day to day life. And how much wetter of a flow are we talking here? I saw you mentioned a single drop, is that into the bottle? Stuffs that potent huh? This is an intriguing prospect for me, as there are many great shades I've had to leave behind because they just wrote too dry to keep up with some of my vintage flex pens.Oh, yeah that was my other question I wanted to ask, glycerine, safe for vintage pens and latex/silicone sacs?

Thanks a ton for the insight, I've really been enjoying stopping by the inks/reviews forums more often lately. Y'all are a fun bunch :)

#23 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,583 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 June 2014 - 19:08

Hmm.... my last post would not work.

Glycerin is available at drug stores, grocery stores, craft stores ... it's just hiding.

First look in the section near candy making stuff --- I just did a google search and it is everywhere. It is also really cheap.

In the world beyond ink (if such a thing exists), glycerin is used in CANDY, SOAP, INK (oh that just slipped in), MAKEUP, COUGH SYRUP, LAXATIVES (it just slipped out), MOUTHWASH, TOOTHPASTE and Bio-Diesel production.  In all glycerin is dang cool.

In food and beverages, glycerol serves as a humectantsolvent, and sweetener, and may help preserve foods. It is also used as filler in commercially prepared low-fat foods (e.g., cookies), and as a thickening agent in liqueurs. Glycerol and water are used to preserve certain types of leaves.[6] As a sugar substitute, it has approximately 27 kilocaloriesper teaspoon (sugar has 20) and is 60% as sweet as sucrose. It does not feed the bacteria that form plaques and cause dental cavities. As afood additive, glycerol is labeled as E number E422. It is added to icing (frosting) to prevent it setting too hard.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#24 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,583 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 June 2014 - 19:09

As near as I can tell, Glycerin is the key ingredient to potions.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#25 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,473 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 June 2014 - 19:46

To enhance flow and lubrication you can always simply add a drop or two (no more than 0.1 - 1.0% v/v or wt/wt) of any ordinary dishwater soap/fluid/detergent. That is much easier, faster and cheaper than trying to get a hold of glycerine. ( One drop = very roughly 1/20th of a milliliter, so that one drop per 50-ml bottle of ink = "0.1+ %").

Mike

Edited by lapis, 21 June 2014 - 20:09.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

#26 tonybelding

tonybelding

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 June 2014 - 22:17

Strange...  I just got a bottle of Diamine Eclipse a few days ago, and I've found it to be remarkably wet and lubricating.

#27 napalm

napalm

True Blue

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:32

http://www.walgreens...3946476-product

Works equally well for constipated pens. :P

#28 Jadie

Jadie

Picky Pen Princess

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:44

I was thinking it might make it lighter but, I'm sure with that little it wouldn't change it much.  

It bothers me nobody else thinks it has a flow problem though.  Maybe it just doesn't agree with the pen.

*raises hand*

It was chalky for me too when I tried it with my fine-nibbed pens! That's why I ended up giving it up...and replacing it with a cousin, Diamine Twilight.

Now that's an ink that's got some smooth moves. ^__^

Sheen junkie, flex nib enthusiast, and all-around lover of fountain pens...

#29 napalm

napalm

True Blue

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:48

Oh wow, this looks really close.  I think this is exactly what I'm looking for.  Of course the problem is getting it.  For anyone looking, this is what the bottle looks like:

ink_of_witch.png

The official web page exists only in Japanese.  The ink is roughly $21.  Needless to say, it's sold out...

Diamine Grape with a wet nib.

#30 pgcauk

pgcauk

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 13:19

I have this in my "future projects" list. A couple that I made note of alongside are Robert Oster's Charcoal (which is purple!) and Callifolio Cassia. Kobe Suma Purple gets good reviews, although probably a tad more colorful (?), and Kobe #51 also has a lot of fans (although more blue/black?).
Again, this is notes for future research, not experience, but it may goad someone into clarifying?

#31 DonM

DonM

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2019 - 16:23

I hate to state the obvious, but have you tried flushing your pen really well with a pen flush or ammonia solution?

#32 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,455 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2019 - 16:39

I have this in my "future projects" list. A couple that I made note of alongside are Robert Oster's Charcoal (which is purple!) and Callifolio Cassia. Kobe Suma Purple gets good reviews, although probably a tad more colorful (?), and Kobe #51 also has a lot of fans (although more blue/black?).
Again, this is notes for future research, not experience, but it may goad someone into clarifying?

Another one to take a look at (an ink that wasn't around when this thread started) would be maybe J Herbin Bleu des Profundeurs.  It doesn't have the purple undertones, per se, that Eclipse does, but it is very dark (right now I have it in a finicky Snorkel with an EF nib and it behaves very well.  When I was doing the review of the ink for myself, I was paying attention to which inks it looked close to, and while the closest match seemed to be Diamine Regency Blue, Eclipse was fairly close as well (R.O. Charcoal was just different enough to be noticeable, because BdP is definitely more blue).

Of course this thread is now reminding me that I haven't used Eclipse for a while....  Or PR Ebony Purple, for that matter....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#33 Dmact

Dmact

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2019 - 19:51

To find glycerine, you can try walmart near the pharmacy (it's used as a skin moisturizer i believe), hobby lobby/michaels would also carry it either with candy making (in smaller bottles) or with soap making in larger bottles.

I find i have better luck using dishsoap. Glycerin seems to THICKEN my inks instead of thinning. So i have an small jar (1oz i think) of distilled water with 3 drops of liquid dish soap. When i get a dry writing ink, i bust out some 2dram jars i have (used to be cosmetic jars for those fancy $200 per drop eye creams) and tranfer some ink into one then add my soap mixture one drop at a time.

How do yall get glycerine to act as a surfectant? All i use it for is vape "juice" mixing o.O

#34 BaronWulfraed

BaronWulfraed

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2019 - 00:06

How do yall get glycerine to act as a surfectant? All i use it for is vape "juice" mixing o.O

I'd think it would act more as lubricant... Unless you've been titrating it with nitric acid :yikes:

Trivia: a related compound is usable as an acid/base indicator for the pH range 11.5-13.0... 2,4,6-trinitrotoluene (aka TNT)

#35 Misfit

Misfit

Goddess of Inanimate Objects

• Member - Gold

• 2,471 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 07:21

I haven't used Eclipse, but from what I've seen of it on here it looks like Bung Box Ink of the Witch. BB is not quite as wet as Iro, but it's fairly close.

+1

I got to try a pen my friend had filled with Ink of the Witch. It is very close to Eclipse, not identical but close.

Edited to add the author of The Well Appointed Desk blog recommended getting White Lightning from Vanness Pens. It helps the flow of inks. I will buy some eventually.

Edited by Misfit, 01 August 2019 - 07:25.

Posted Image

#36 Eclipse157

Eclipse157

Hoarder of ink

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2019 - 09:49

Diamine Eclipse is the perfect ink. All heretics will be purged in fire, their inks and pens taken from them and given out to the true believers.

Jokes aside, I totally fell in love with it because of both its colour and its wet, buttery smoothness... no idea why you are finding it  on the dry side.

As far as substitutes of the one true ink go:

• Rohrer & Klingner Leipziger Schwarz, it's not as purple, more blue
  • KWZ Warsaw Dreaming, also less purple and more blue

but Eclipse is pretty unique, I haven't seen anything like it.

#37 NeverTapOut

NeverTapOut

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2019 - 02:29

Oh wow, this looks really close.  I think this is exactly what I'm looking for.  Of course the problem is getting it.  For anyone looking, this is what the bottle looks like:

ink_of_witch.png

The official web page exists only in Japanese.  The ink is roughly $21.  Needless to say, it's sold out...

Terminal,

Have you looked at Kobe #32 Tamon Purple Gray. Out of a Fine or Extra Fine nib it looks black/purple as well...at least to me.

Regards,

David

#38 tonybelding

tonybelding

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2020 - 03:42

I have revisited Diamine Eclipse and got a new bottle, and I have some things to add.

I wrote before that I found it wet and lubricating.  Uhh…  Now I'm not sure.  The fresh bottle that I just got isn't like that.  I already gave away what was left of the previous bottle, so I can't compare them side-by-side.  I'm not sure if it has changed, or if I just never did properly analyze what I had before.  I never used it really heavily.

This fresh bottle of Eclipse is on the dry side, and in particular it's really excellent at not bleeding through cheap paper.  I did some testing on a Dollar General writing tablet, and Eclipse outperformed almost every other ink in terms of not bleeding through.  (The only ones that matched it were pigment-based.)  It even outperformed a couple of iron gall based inks, such as Montblanc Midnight Blue and R&K Salix.  But Eclipse isn't IG; it's a non-permanent ink that should be quite low-maintenance.

When it comes to the subject of "love/hate Diamine Eclipse", I'm coming down on the love side.  I've been looking for something just like this.  I can put it in my vintage pens, I can put it into pens with rubber sacs, leave them inked without worry, and still be able to write on both sides of copy paper, write on both sides of my journal pages, etc.  My vintage Sheaffers tend to be wet and super-smooth, which means they love a dry ink like this.

#39 Intensity

Intensity

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,352 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 January 2020 - 01:55

Be careful adding surfactants: Pilot Iroshizuku inks may flow well but unfortunately also can feather even on good paper that doesnt feather with most of my other inks. Its especially prominent when an Iroshizuku ink sits in a pen for a while and concentrates. I can get bad feathering with, say, Iroshizuku Tsuki-Yo, that way on good Fabriano Bioprima, Kokuyo, or Nakabayashi Logical (non-air). Same with Kiri-Same, Fuyu-Syogun, etc. I now wonder if these inks are more alkaline due to the extra surfactants they contain for their liberal flow.

Edited by Intensity, 20 January 2020 - 01:56.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: diamine, diamine eclipse, purple

Sponsored Content

|