Rotring 600 Pencil (German Or Japanese Model)?

ghaddad

Hi. just wondering if anyone can assist in determining if this rotring 600 mechanical pencil shown attached is german manufactured or japanese made?? thanks

post-113859-0-42770000-1402052606_thumb.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ghaddad

• Tombstone

• soapytwist

• bmwboris

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When it has no inscription, it's a Series 3 - and then you are lost, because they have been produced in Germany & Japan.

There are no facts, there is no truth - just a data to be manipulated...

Hi tombstone. Thanks for your reply. Can u explain it a little more? . Do u mean that even the spring mechanical pencils are currently still made in germany til tjis day? The one in my attached photo actually has "rotring 0.7mm" in red written on the side(this can't be seen easily on the photo I sent).

From my limited experience:

German-made pencils have a slightly smoother feel to the barrel (akin the difference between silk and matt wall paint). My Japanese pencil feels rough in comparison (though not 'textured' rough)

I read somewhere that German pencils have the clear plastic inner sleeve whereas Japanese pencils have a metal sleeve. I'm not sure if this always true, but it does run true in the two pencils I own.

Some German pencils also may have 'Germany' very faintly silkscreened on the curved part of the clip that attaches it to the pencil

This PDF may help (courtesy of Lawrence Gottleib):

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3Lo51tkRCkwNDkyYTlmNTMtNGU2Ny00ZTAyLTgwMmQtOWMxOTFlNjlhN2Y4/edit?hl=en

"Truth can never be told, so as to be understood, and not be believ'd." (Wiiliam Blake)

Visit my review: Thirty Pens in Thirty Days

Hi tombstone. Thanks for your reply. Can u explain it a little more? . Do u mean that even the spring mechanical pencils are currently still made in germany til tjis day? The one in my attached photo actually has "rotring 0.7mm" in red written on the side(this can't be seen easily on the photo I sent).

1.) Rotring does not exist any more - actually it's just a name bought by somebody else (actually Sanford, owned by Rubbermaid)

2.) Everything I mention is connected to NOS-Pens - if your pen is new, then I can't help you. I do not care for the actual versions

3.) I am sure it has not written "rotring 0,7 mm" but "rOtring 600 / 0,7 mm" written on it - the problem is just, that this is the same with the Serie 1 (made in Germany in good old times) and the actual version

Resume:

- when it's new, it's just new and might have been produced wherever they define

- when it's old, it's Made in Germany

There are no facts, there is no truth - just a data to be manipulated...

There is a fellow FPN member called JPS_Rotring.

He is in to anything and everything Rotring. Maybe PM him and he will tell you exactly

From my limited experience:

German-made pencils have a slightly smoother feel to the barrel (akin the difference between silk and matt wall paint). My Japanese pencil feels rough in comparison (though not 'textured' rough)

I read somewhere that German pencils have the clear plastic inner sleeve whereas Japanese pencils have a metal sleeve. I'm not sure if this always true, but it does run true in the two pencils I own.

Some German pencils also may have 'Germany' very faintly silkscreened on the curved part of the clip that attaches it to the pencil

This PDF may help (courtesy of Lawrence Gottleib):

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3Lo51tkRCkwNDkyYTlmNTMtNGU2Ny00ZTAyLTgwMmQtOWMxOTFlNjlhN2Y4/edit?hl=en

My sleeve is metal, so I guess made in Japan. Can't complain about the Japanese quality.

• 6 years later...

I wish there was the Gotlieb document in a version with pictures ... Moreover, the modern reproductions from Japan are missing in this document, too. They are sold now. I would like to know how to spot the difference between older ones and the modern reproductions from Japan.