The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Con50 With Iron Gall?

pilot con50 iron gall

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tony1000

tony1000

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:01

I am thinking of trying Diamine Registrar's ink in my Pilot Custom 74.  I am concerned about the metal agitator in the CON50.  Has anyone had any experience with the CON50 and iron gall inks?  Did you remove the agitator?

Tony Thomas 

Author of "The Fountain Pen Book" on Amazon.com.  

Editor of the Frugal Fountain Pen Blog:

http://thefrugalfoun...n.blogspot.com/

Twitter: @FrugalFP

Sponsored Content

#2 Titanic9990

Titanic9990

discipulus in perpetuum

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:26

In general, with Diamine Registrar's I save it for use with dip pens. A milder iron gall such as R&K salix would probably have no problem, but personally I would avoid putting registrar's in a pen, in contact with metal or not. I'm sure others will disagree, but oh well, I'd rather be paranoid and keep my pens  :D

"Vae me, puto concacavi me!" -Seneca

ἄριστον μέν ὕδωρ μέλαν

#3 Wolverine1

Wolverine1

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,600 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 15:46

I think I would be careful with the Diamine Registrars ink, and not put it into a Pilot Custom 74 pen. Like Titanic said, I too will use it only with a dip pen.

#4 doggonecarl

doggonecarl

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2014 - 19:15

If you are concerned about the metal agitator, you could always refill an empty cartridge.

The "safety" of iron gall inks come up a lot in the Inky Thoughts forum. Here's the latest:

http://www.fountainp...registrar's

Sandy1's post is quite informative.

#5 setriode

setriode

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:31

Salix and a Con 70 is absolutely no problem. With ESSR more care is needed. The converter needs to be absolutely clean before filling and the pen needs to be used every day. If the ink dries on the nib, dip in water and continue to use. But continuous use is the key otherwise it will stick to the edges of the converter bit this will wash out with vinegar.

The Custom 74 with a soft nib will produce dramatic shading with iron gall and they are a stunning combination. However, once filled write with that pen exclusively until the in runs ot and the flush at once.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pilot, con50, iron gall

Sponsored Content

|