Ebay Sellers...are They Real People?

Cryptos

Yes they are real. I met an ebay pen seller at my local fountain pen club.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• Cryptos

• penmanila

• JotterAddict62

eBay can be immensely frustrating for both buyer and sellers. When buying, it seems that doing a 'snipe' is the only way to get a half decent deal because it prevents 'nibbling'. You know, those folks that increase their max bid by little dribbles until they overtake your max bid? So now I wait until an auction end, put in my max bid, and let it sort itself out. If I lose, oh well. But it means I have to be present at auction end...and you know, work is kind of important.

As a seller, I received a negative feedback because some nutwaffle didn't understand how shipping worked. The buyer paid for priority mail service (in the U.S. it averages three to five days, but can take up to three weeks before it is considered lost), so I shipped the item priority the next business day. When it took longer than three days, the buyer insisted I reship a new item (for free), on my dime, using an express. I refused as the tracking number showed it was moving towards the buyer, and directed the buyer to the USPS website page regarding on shipping services and times. I received the negative feedback before the item even arrived *le sigh*

WOW - what an (bleep) buyer! Unfortunately you do come across wasters like these on eBay from time to time.

What a pen is 'worth' depends on how much the interested party is willing to pay. I will never pay retail price on a new pen - I will wait until it either gets discounted by the retailer or it comes out on eBay at a much lower price, but there are people who will willingly pay more simply in order to buy from a well known store or because they 'must' have the pen at any price.

Edited by Tancred

Hi all, maybe this doesn't directly relate to the OP of this thread but my question does concern eBay sellers. I was looking at a pen on eBay and noticed the seller said, re his terms of payment, that he took bank transfers. I sent the seller a message asking if they would accept PayPal and got the reply that no, only bank transfers. Now perhaps I'm being too nervous, but I know there are various protections for me as a buyer dealing through PayPal, all of which I would lose if I deal by bank transfer. At the moment I don't intend to bid for the pen because of this. Do you think I'm being too nervous? The seller has good feedback, but isn't selling anything else at present apart from this one pen.

Hi all, maybe this doesn't directly relate to the OP of this thread but my question does concern eBay sellers. I was looking at a pen on eBay and noticed the seller said, re his terms of payment, that he took bank transfers. I sent the seller a message asking if they would accept PayPal and got the reply that no, only bank transfers. Now perhaps I'm being too nervous, but I know there are various protections for me as a buyer dealing through PayPal, all of which I would lose if I deal by bank transfer. At the moment I don't intend to bid for the pen because of this. Do you think I'm being too nervous? The seller has good feedback, but isn't selling anything else at present apart from this one pen.

I once had to send a check to a seller since Paypal started. Before that it was money orders. Maybe ask the seller if they would

accept a money order.

I would run, not walk, from any seller demanding payment via a bank transfer. Too many potential problems and zero protection for you.

Edited by Snargle

Larry

That's what I thought guys. You've just reaffirmed what I felt. I'm letting the pen pass! Thanks for the input. Plenty of other opportunities without the same risk.