The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Vintage Inks On Ebay

vintage inks ebay rare

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gvhill

gvhill

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2014 - 16:25

While browsing eBay, I saw there are 50+ lots of various vintage inks for sale.

- Grayling

Sponsored Content

#2 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,699 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2014 - 17:11

Sometimes those are good deals, sometimes not.  Ask questions of the seller -- especially to make sure you're not buying something that has SITB or sediment in it.  Also consider whether the shipping costs are worth it (glass tends to be heavy).

I've gotten some vintage inks this way -- a 2 oz bottle of Quink Brown, which was a bit overpriced (I had paid less for a 2/3 full 4 oz. bottle in an antiques mall in northern PA, but liked the color enough to be willing to run the risk of getting some online), and a possibly never opened 8 oz. bottle of Quink Violet.  Which is still unopened, because I can't figure out how to get the rubber stopper out easily without causing a mess, and I don't have the nozzle that was presumably used in its day.  Also, I want to be able to decant the ink into smaller container(s) to make filling easier -- and safer, after a bad experience with a nearly full 4-1/2 oz bottle of KTC.  The Quink Violet was quite pricy overall, but on a per oz. cost very reasonable.  Some people might have treated it as a "collectible" and not opened it (the seller called it "museum quality", but I thought it was a good deal for ink that might be very nice coming out of my Plum 51, and that would last me a good long time, given the amount of ink.  That is, I could figure out how to actually *access* it....  :wallbash: 

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vintage, inks, ebay, rare

Sponsored Content

|