Visconti Homo Sapien Silver Fine Nib Runs Dry

edwiny

I just received my Visconti Homo Sapien Silver with Fine Nib. I filled the brand new FP with Pelikan Edelstein Onyx black ink and did so with the Visconti Travel Ink Well. From other posts on FPN, I had surmised that Visconti FPs tend to run wet. So I ordered it in Fine hoping to achieve medium nib result of a Pilot.

This is my 3rd fountain pen and only have 2 other pens to compare with

Pilot Namiki Vanishing Point in Fine

Pilot Metropolitan Medium Nib

From what I can tell, the Visconti HS fine nib writes finer than the pilot VP fine. Did I receive a faulty pen? Is it the ink?

I've included writing sample

Of note, I did not flush the pen since it is brand new.

Will the pen gradually adjust with more use?

post-112965-0-80844700-1401661974_thumb.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• edwiny

• lahlahlaw

• Ghost Plane

• irish_monk

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pel ink is dry, but it shouldn't be THAT dry. Flush the pen well with water, re-ink it with another brand of ink if you have it, then give it overnight for the feed to soak in. My Sailor B writes like a Visconti M for comparison and this should be at least as wet as your Pilots, not less.

I have a Homo Sapiens Steel Age Midi with a fine nib, my second Visconti. Both it and my Ragtime are wet writers. I had the Ragtime reground to a finer nib to make it usable and will probably do the same for the Homo Sapiens. A good flush with water and a little liquid soap or a mild ammonia/water combo might help get manufacturing oils and residue out that might be impeding flow.

"A man's maturity consists in having found again the seriousness one had as a child, at play."

Friedrich Nietzsche

kelsonbarber.wordpress.com

I've never heard of a dry-writing Dreamtouch nib, there is definitely something amiss with yours. I've tried close to ten ink brands with my Fine HS and it's a gusher with all of them. Try flushing it repeatedly with water and a drop of mild dish detergent. If that doesn't work you can try running a .02" brass shim in between the tines to see if something (e.g. paper fibers etc.) may have gotten caught in there obstructing the flow. Be careful as these are not cheap!

@arts_nibs

Before tinkering yourself & voiding warranties, you may wish to avail yourself of Coles of London who handle things for Visconti in the US.

Thanks so much to ALL for your great suggestions.

As I had said, I just received the pen in the mail. I wonder if the online retailer can make and exchange.

I will give flushing the pen a try since this shouldn't affect the warranty.

There is another part of me that feels for the amount I paid, the pen should be ready to go and singing out of the box.

I am new to the FP world and have not had the need to clean or tweak any pens. How do I go about flushing the Homo Sapien silver which has a converter ink fill system built in? Is it a matter of twisting the end cap counter clockwise and clockwise repeatedly with the nib in water?

Is it a matter of twisting the end cap counter clockwise and clockwise repeatedly with the nib in water?

Exactly, you should be good with 5-10 cycles.

@arts_nibs

I'd like to report back to all with results of your suggestions.

I flushed my brand-new Visconti HS silver Fine. Did this for approximately 10 cycles. Initially flushed with filtered water and one drop of mild detergent. Followed by copious flushing with filtered water only. I've been filled the pen with pilot Namiki Iroshizuku ink instead of the Pelikan Edelstein. Since then, the flow has improved. Very happy now.

post-112965-0-62468400-1401838292_thumb.jpg

By the way, Colorado Pen (online retailer) offered to replace the pen and Coles of London offered switch me to a medium nib At this point, I don't think there's a need for that but it's nice to know they stood behind their product.

Glad it worked out for you. Should get years of happy use from your Visconti.

Now, to search to for the perfect Notebook/Journal. and the perfect ink.

I still don't know if it was the Ink or the flushing that improved the flow of the pen. Is there an ink comparison chart anywhere I can refer to? For now, I have Japanese Ink in my Italian Pen.Interesting combination--East Meets West.

I just some R&K Salix (iron gall) for mine. The HS puts down soooo much that it feathers on everything. The Salix is notoriously dry, if it doesn't work the HS is off for tuning and a stubbing while they're at it:-).

For paper, I recently bought a ream of HP premium copy paper 32lb. and it's working nicely. It was about $18 at a local OfficeMax.

@arts_nibs

Now, to search to for the perfect Notebook/Journal. and the perfect ink.

I still don't know if it was the Ink or the flushing that improved the flow of the pen. Is there an ink comparison chart anywhere I can refer to? For now, I have Japanese Ink in my Italian Pen.Interesting combination--East Meets West.

For a long time now I've wished that reviews could be searched by combined pen/nib/ink/paper. Sometimes you see people saying a certain type of paper is great while other say it's terrible and often it's a function of the nib and ink that each of them is using so you're never really sure the paper is going to work for you unless you're using the same pen, nib and ink.

I'd like to be able to search for reviews of, e.g. a Lamy Studio XF nib with Pelikan Brilliant Black Ink on Clairefontaine paper, rather than just searching ing the pen, or ink and hoping to find a review with the other items present as well.

Ecriveur, That seems like a good a idea. There would be seemingly be unlimited permutations given the number of pens, nib sizes, inks and papers to try.

To start, is there a resource that compares just inks that anyone knows of?