Has Sailor Discontinued Epinard, Grenade, Sky High, Ect.....

alarickc

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• casualmerlinconstant

• Algester

• Lyander0012

• alarickc

I'm sad :( I have a bit of an emotional connection to Sky High and Grenade. I purchased 3 bottles of each today from LaCduC so hopefully I'll be able to keep sane.

Eeek, terrible news. Grenade is my favourite, favourite ink. I have two bottles so another 2 will have to be sourced. Thanks to alarickc and other contributors for the early warning!

What? :( I've been hesitant on buying new inks because I don't want to keep buying so many. Now I really don't know if I should buy a bottle or not because I've been saving up for a pen. D:

Well thanks to this thread, I've got a second bottle of Grenade and my first of Sky High coming. I debated getting 2 bottles of Grenade and a bottle of Apricot as well... For now, my will power has won out. We'll see how long that lasts.

So many inks, so little time...

remember they are discontinuing
Epinard
Grenade
Peach
Sky High
Ultramarine

Apricot

likewise Sailor could be replacing them with

Tokiwa-Matsu

Oku-Yama

Sakura-Mori?

Sou-Ten

Shigure or Nioi-Sumire I'm not sure who is the closest

Kin-Mokusei?

all in the respective order the ? means I'm not entirely sure

Ahhh why can't they be like pelikan and just make the same colors for 100 years..especially when the colours are already awesome

Edited by superglueshoe

it's just not the same :( haha

Edited by superglueshoe

I am tempted to get a couple of bottles of Epinard, it is the only one I really like out of the current seasonal line up. I like the color but haven't used more than a quarter of a bottle in the last year. I will probably leave it.

If they were about to discontinue or change the standard blue I would buy ten bottles!

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

Luckily I'm currently boycotting Sailor. That said, Epinard is one of my all time favorite inks. I also love Grenade and the orange and pink versions of their Jentle inks. Such beautiful colors.

Sailor smells like ink. I just absolutely love the smell. Not only does it smell like ink should, it somehow tickles my memory and makes me think of a library my parents say I'm too young to remember. It annoys them that I can describe it. Apparently I was 2 years old when it moved to its current location. But, I can describe the stairs, the stuffed animal heads, the tables, and the checkout desk.

Either it made a big impact at a really young age, or my parents really described it well over the years. My parents also say that smell is something that was big for me as a little kid: I used to smell carpets in a new house. Thankfully I don't remember that! But, to this day, smell is big for me. I no longer kneel down and smell carpets, but I do associate smells with houses and buildings. The smell of Sailor ink is forever associated with the old library. The new library has its own smell, and, after stepping into it after about 11 years, that smell brought back memories too.

So, just what is that smell in Sailor ink, and why do I associate it with a library that I haven't been in since I was 2 years old?

Is it the phenol smell?

Also, why are you boycotting?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Okay, all hoarded up. Cost me a pretty penny too, $75 for three inks :o. Ahhh Australia how I love that you're a million miles away from anywhere with cheap ink.

Okay, all hoarded up. Cost me a pretty penny too, $75 for three inks :o. Ahhh Australia how I love that you're a million miles away from anywhere with cheap ink.

Ouch! Glad I'm not in Australia. I got my 2 bottles for $30 and some change.

So many inks, so little time...

I have a bottle of Sky High that I got last summer at DCSS, but haven't had occasion to use -- sounds as if I'm going to have to hoard it. I hadn't made up my mind about Grenade (got a sample off of FPN Uncle Red a while back), and also hadn't made up my mind about Kiwa-guro (that's the Nano Black, right?).

I'd been wanting to try Epinard. It looked like a really nice green. But I hadn't been able to find anyone that had it in stock. Probably won't be able to get it now. :wallbash:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I have a bottle of Sky High that I got last summer at DCSS, but haven't had occasion to use -- sounds as if I'm going to have to hoard it. I hadn't made up my mind about Grenade (got a sample off of FPN Uncle Red a while back), and also hadn't made up my mind about Kiwa-guro (that's the Nano Black, right?).

I'd been wanting to try Epinard. It looked like a really nice green. But I hadn't been able to find anyone that had it in stock. Probably won't be able to get it now. :wallbash:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Epinard and Grenade are awesome colors, and the have a gorgeous sheen (so does sky high). You'll really enjoy those inks if you're into the sheen quality.

Kiwa-Guro is absolutely the best ink to use for low-quality paper (because, let's face it, we don't live in a world entirely made of Clairfontaine paper).

I would say if you haven't tried those inks, you're probably missing out on the sailor inky goodness.

The way it is now though, it's a bad time to get attached to sailor inks because of this discontinuation.

You can probably find Epinard and Grenade and UltraMarine and the others at most of the US retailers. I got my hoards from Pen Boutique (no affiliation).

I don't know how many bottles I already have, but I was successfully hooked despite their obvious "discontinued marketing strategy," & grabbed some more. Well played, Sailor. Well played.

Epinard x 2
Grenade x 3
Sky High x 2
Ultramarine x 1

Apricot x 2

Edited by SamCapote

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

my only problem with Sailor inks is that they stain... :< might get some EDs for them for ease of cleaning...

Kiwaguro has not stained on me yet but Souten and Tokiwa-Matsu has I also heard of reports about Shigure staining

Edited by Algester