Do You Prefer One Expensive Pen Or Several Less Expensive One?

lzykramer

I would prefer many pens to one expensive one. Reason being I like a variety of nib shapes and sizes and inks to boot. I currently have as many as half a dozen pens in rotation and inked. Having only one would limit those options. I mean. How would you choose only one ink???

:happycloud9:

Cathy L. Carter

Live. Love. Write.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lzykramer

• Thier.

• Algester

• sotto2

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like a nice mix of both, but when I was starting out I found that something in the middle of what I considered cheap and what I considered expensive worked best for me. Strangely, that range is what I buy the least of right now. I go for cheaper pens or pricier ones or vintage ones. They have different uses, and cheaper nibs can be pleasant, especially if one is willing to work on them. For any serious writing, I always find myself reaching for my pricier pens, but honestly I love using my cheaper pens: for notes, drawings, for fun, to lend out.

And to say go for what you want and "cheap" pens don't have to be mutually exclusive, thankfully.

The problem is that some nice pens are expensive, even too expensive. I guess quality is important in our case but quantity isn't unimportant either. After all, the difference between a decent and an excellent nib isn't always that great.

I would prefer a few good quality FPs in the long run, but I intend to get a bunch just so I can test different types of materials, nibs, etc so I can figure out what my favourite kind of FP is.

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

Of the 13 pens I have my most expensive was cost me less than $100. I have two or three that would be as much as $130 new. The 4 from that manufacturer (Pelikan) cost me an average of just under $60 - including shipping. All were previously owned of the four, one was NOS however.

Many of my pens whether I bought new or previously owned were under $50 however. First 3 right at that number.

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

More expensive does not necessarily translate to a better pen. With that in mind, I would rather spend more money on one good pen, than end up with several lesser pens for the same amount of money.

Edited by max dog

I would like to find sweet spots in both camps, so I can have something nice to enjoy and also have some everyday pens. I don't want to go overboard with buying expensive pens at the high end, my pocketbook could not sustain this even if it is just a "few" pens. And I don't want to have a bazillion cheap pens that don't give me any pleasure. I did the latter recently by picking up a bunch of "starter" pens (under $35) to try out. In retrospect, this was not the best approach. :( So other than my one really nice pen, all the other ones I own are cheapo pens ... Hero 448, Pilot Metropolitan, Lamy Safari/Al-Star/Vista, MB Noblesse & 310, Must de Cartier, Pelikano, Sheaffer Targa (part of calligraphy set).

I only have one expensive pen (under $600) that I'm downgrading to home-use-only because I'm afraid of losing it (and it would be hard for me to replace it). So I'm looking for cheaper EDC pens that don't need to be pampered and can be easily replaced if lost. I *could* make do with one or two pens, but I've started exploring the world of inks and now want to have many pens inked up so I have different colors to choose from. I can't afford to do this with expensive pens, so my solution to this is to collect a handful of cheapo Lamy Safaris (1 Al-Star, 4 Safari, 2 Vista).

(Except now my problem is not being able to remember which color is in which pen :unsure: ... so now I'm thinking I need to collect more demonstrators (so I can see the ink color) or color coordinate pen color with ink color.)

It's time for me to shop smarter by spending more time researching my next purchase instead of making impulse buys. I think it is time for me to get my feet wet in the Vintage Pen dept. And I think I've narrowed it down to a Parker 51, Estie LJ (or J), or Sheaffer Snorkel. Part of me is afraid of screwing up a vintage pen knowing that they are out of production. I've never owned a piston filler and would like to try this too, so I will do some research on this instead of jumping at the first piston filler that crosses my path.

Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized. -- Albert Einstein

I'd save up abit to get a pen I really like.. rather then several others just because I'd eventually end up getting what I want anyway but have already wasted money on others.. been there done that.. ouch.. those pens i have no qualms about selling albeit at a loss generally

that being said, if a pen i really like is less expensive/ more affordable, I'd get it in a heartbeat too! :)

I'm loving some of my inexpensive pens but thats because there's still a student rank in me...

fairly expensive ones but still below the 120 USD range

Pilot CH 91 <-- the soft nib is glorious not ful flexy but still flexy but I learn not to fully use it for flexy but just springing it time to time

Faber-Castell Ambition <-- its one heck of a top heavy posted smooth writer the only pen that I do not use posted because of the balance and is rarely on my rotation because of it

Lamy 2000 <-- whats not to love... ok I like it but its now a bit too wet after having it tuned but I think because the ink was wet too... lol but being a student I dont carry it most of the time... I'll be better off using some Preppies and if not Sailor Crystal... or a fude de mannen

Edited by Algester

Sometimes I regret buying cheap pens because a lot of times are impulsive buying whereas an expensive one tend to require more thinking. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

The best is to do what I do : trying to buy expensive pens at a cheap price ....

Here is my last one : Caran d'Ache Varius Metwood found on a second hand web site for .... 50 € ....

My other Caran d'Ache are Ecridor 555 (present from a client) Ecridor Rétro (bought on Ebay for cheap because the seller wrote "carant dache" so nobody had a look on it) and the Leman Ebony is a gift from a client (my clients love me)

post-90708-0-87913800-1401738657_thumb.jpg

I always wonder if I should save up for one expensive fountain pen or to try out several different one ( nib feels and design), at the end it all adds up the same, I just want to hear your opinions on this topic.

Actually, I think my reply would be "Yes". I have some relatively (for me) expensive pens (Pilot Custom 742 FA nib, Sailor 21K F nib) some lower mids (some Bexleys and lower end Pilots & Sailors), and some inexpensive pens (lots of Noodlers, various Asian pens). I also have some vintage pens, mostly flex, all of which would fall price-wise into the lower mids.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

All depends on purpose, event, reason, etc.

- For a major event/milestones, a single nice pen. And the pen will stay safe at home.

- For office/general use, several less expensive ones. Especially if the pen is going into the office/school, there is a risk of loss.

- And for the collection, you have that same problem. A few expensive key pieces, or a lot of less expensive pieces. Example you can build an Esterbrook J series collection of maybe 6 pens for relatively cheap, < $25 a pen, and sometimes much less. Or go for the REALLY hard to find and expensive stuff, and get just ONE pen. Or some combination of the 2.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I have to say that surely it needs to be a combination of the two. One or two expensive pens for when you want to treat yourself and several cheap pens to travel with whilst not hold the fear of losing.

There are some wonderful and unique cheap pens out there that only a FPN people would be able to identify.

My tastes have changed over the years, I would much rather buy a nicer pen than several less expensive pens.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

There's a sweet spot for pen value, different for everyone of course, and it's always best to look around for sumgais if you can put yourself in circumstances where they tend to show up. I've found a few with long dry spells in between.

I have plenty of pens, so I try to save my money for something really exceptional now, but today I received a simple stainless steel broad Sheaffer nib in the mail that is making me very happy. It's in my Sheaffer brushed stainless Prelude. Cost me all of $20 for the entire nib, feed and section unit. In 5 seconds, I was in broad nib Heaven. So what I'm going to do now for awhile, is look for good deals on some other nibs for the pens I already have and enjoy that little diversion.

http://i59.tinypic.com/ekfh5f.jpg

They are not mutually exclusive in my view and I don't think one must choose. I think experience with cheaper pens informs your choice of more expensive ones but the cheaper pens continue to remain useful.

I do find that expensive pens tend to have a superior build quality that enhances your writing pleasure and so I use them more often than the cheaper ones. However it is great to be able to have several filled with different coloured inks to call on when needed.

I also still enjoy using the cheaper ones. Even my humble Preppys have their own charm as I watch the coloured ink soak further up the feed as time goes by and feel the ball bearing roll in the cartridge. I know my red Preppy helped me learn enough about nib smoothing to be confident to have a go at my Montblanc 146 nib. Would I use it in preference to my MB? Only when I need red ink.

There are some situations in which I will not risk the expensive pens and others where I just simply wish to carry a pen with a different body colour. My Kaweco sport is handy for the pocket of my jeans etc. etc.

I'm sure I will acquire more expensive pens over time but I doubt that I will get rid of the cheaper ones.

previously owned :angry: :angry:

I hate two big words used to 'fool' your self with....used is used, and lots cheaper than new....whats the modern word for new.....never used-??? or un-owned???

Used pens are cheaper by 1/3-1/2 for good pens. Look in the this com's sales section; for good used pens. Again, take your time and read up in the pen review section on each pen before buying....we have that section too.

Vintage pens out side of scarce NOS...new old stock....are all used/previously owned :lticaptd: .

You are going to need good to better paper also...or writing is no fun....the ink don't dance at midnight. That is paper for home use, if you have to use ball point paper at school or work.

Laser only paper is best....combo laser-ink jet is a compromise....and stay far away from Ink Jet paper...it's not for fountain pens.

Weight buy the 90g copy paper instead of the cheaper 80g.

I had Lamy Turquoise; the base color all turquoise are compared too....it was a nice color but rather blaaaa. I saw in the Ink Review section....it shaded with 90 g paper..... :thumbup: instead of the 80g paper I was using.

Oxford Optic 90 g...used also in Red and Black is a very nice fountain pen paper that is inexpensive.

There are vivid monotone supersaturated inks and two toned shading inks....which will be less vivid, but give you two nice tones.

You need both.

I would suggest buying a ream or pack of good to better paper every two inks.

Good to better paper only costs two cans of Coke or cups of Starbucks coffee more than regular 90g laser copy paper.

A wise man develops a stock of good paper from the start.....ask me why I know that.....I did it 'normal'....bought lots of pens....that means many used cheap ones of €15-20...then many inks.....all of them un-used......of course new....now, used...but not used up. :)

Then I finally got around to paper......there was all that time....when my pens and inks were not being used wisely.....90g copy paper is OK, but not really 'good' paper. Not the stuff that they have made illegal in Kansas for Sunday use, because it was too sinfully good. Now that is good paper.

You don't need that good a paper until you have your starter set B) of 15 pens assorted nibs.

Do not hurry...take your time....savor the chase, the hunt.....save money. :D

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.