Pel M200/M250

Roger

I'm going to buy one or the other. What are the differences in design, materials, functionality and appearance? Looks as though they will take the same nibs, so all manner of nibs can be had from John, Richard and others. :)

Thanks,

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Roger

• Leslie J.

• Maja

• southpaw

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Roger,

The only difference is that the M200 has a plated steel nib and the M250 has a solid gold 14k nib. Other than that, they are identical. I'm sure others will chime in and perhaps give you comments on the writing with both nibs - I've only experienced the M200 plated nib (wonderful, by the way -- great value).

HTH, southpaw :)

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

I agree with Southpaw - the M200 is a great pen for the price (and even for much higher prices). I´m not sure about the new versions of the M200/250, but there were some cosmetic differences between the older versions of the 200/250 - just enough to allow the user to tell them apart. The M200 was offered in marbled body / black cap; the M250 in solid colours (black or bordeaux) or in black body/coloured cap (green or blue).

(BTW, I´ve just had a look at the Fountain Pen Hospital and saw they show the old M200 model - two cap rings, in the same page with the new model - 1 cap ring).

regards,

Henrique

The 250's have an ink view window? Otherwise it's nibs, and aesthetics.

Never lie to your dog.

Leslie,

I have a M200 marbled blue and it has an ink view window also.

southpaw

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Guess I need to have a physical sample in hand before I speak then. :doh: What a silly mistake. I would have sworn it wasn't there.

Okay, so nib and aesthetics are the only considerations then. (just the 2 big decisions) ;)

Never lie to your dog.

Thanks, folks.

That's about the way I see it, too. Bender has the NOS 200 Burgundy to which he will fit any of his special grinds and Swisher has the NOS 250 also in burgundy. Both have the two cap rings and the, I think, nicer looking closed cap end.

Looks like, as Southpaw said, the 200s were fitted with the plated nib whereas the 250s came with the 14K nib as standard. I see no reason that the plated nib shouldn't write as well as the 14K nib, *assuming* that the tipping material is the same and the polishing and finishing of the tipping material is equal in both cases.

Think I'll go for the NOS 200 and plated nib. I can always add the 14K nib or a special grind if my attempt to learn a bit about Italic Cursive writing eventuates.

Any comments re: the plated nib vs. the 14K?

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Bender? Do you watch Futurama? :P Sorry. I know it's Binder.

The burgundy pen came with a 14K nib. I have one, it's a NOS 250. So I'm a bit confused about which pen you chose.

Personally, I don't find any appreciable difference between the 200 gp steel nib and and 250 gold nib as far as writing experience goes, especially if you are having a custom grind. I'm quite happy with all the 200 nibs I have, and all are custom grinds. :)

Never lie to your dog.

Good grief! Richard & Barbara will have my head for that, and rightly so. I know better, and I can't even claim a typo. Look how far apart the "e" and the "i" are. :(

Still haven't decided on whether a custom grind or a stock fine would be best for this stage of my development. I'm leaning toward the stock fine and use it in rotation. I understand that it is a very good writer. Perhaps the custom grinds should come later after I sort out what I'm going to pursue in this interest. Decisions, decisions. :bonk:

Well, apparently there are NOS burgundys out there in both the 200 and 250. Richard custom fits whatever you want on the NOS 200 body, Swisher sells the NOS 250 which comes with the usual singletone 14K nib, and Mattishaw has the NOS 250s, also. Ya pays yer money and takes yer choice.

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Well, apparently there are NOS burgundys out there in both the 200 and 250. Richard custom fits whatever you want on the NOS 200 body, Swisher sells the NOS 250 which comes with the usual singletone 14K nib, and Mattishaw has the NOS 250s, also. Ya pays yer money and takes yer choice.

Mattishaw?

I think there must be a gremlin hanging around your keyboard, Roger! :lol:

Edited by Maja

Guest Denis Richard
Mattishaw?

:lol: It's not your lastname day Roger... you're about to alienate against you all the nibmeisters :D

Mattishaw?

:lol: It's not your lastname day Roger... you're about to alienate against you all the nibmeisters :D

Well, Hollgren is away on leave, so he won't see the typo I made :lol: :lol: