Seeking Special Pen Suggestions

Alexcat

My beloved husband of 33 years passed away in the early hours of Wednesday morning, after having another stroke. When I saw him on Tuesday, it was heartbreaking; but I know he is at peace now.

The reason Im writing this is because I want to buy myself a special pen, to use to write in a Filofax which I'd just recently bought, just things about us, and him....trying to help myself.

Anyway, Im pretty new here, and I know that everyone's tastes in pens differ greatly, but I would be so grateful for any suggestions.

The Filofax is a beautiful grey Malden A5, and I had not started using it, so I decided I wanted to keep it for this. I also recently got some lovely grey inks.....the grey/ silver theme seems to fit this purpose perfectly. He had silver hair(used to kid me that it was black when we first met, which is true) so Im thinking of something grey or silver .....but not something I would have to polish to keep pristine.

Budget....around £100, but willing to go to £150. I had a gift from a friend of a bit of cash, so it would be a nice and specific way to use it, rather than just being lost in gobbling up bills and daily ordinary things.

Oh, and Ive discovered that I like the sight of a beautiful full nib, rather than the hooded type(learned that after getting a Parker 51, which I like, but not as much as I thought I would) and am fond of quite big, weighty pens. And I favour a fine nib.

Hoping this makes sense...Im pretty fragile right now...

Alexcat

"As many nights endure Without a moon or star So will we endure When one is gone and far "Leonard Cohen, of blessed memory(21/09/1934-7/11/2016)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alexcat

• The Blue Knight

• Wolverine1

• davisgt

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear the new.

However I Guess the best way to start is by asking a few questions so we can find you a pen you really like.

1. What pens do you already have?
  2. Which Pens are your favorites?
  3. Is there a particular brand you really like or would like to have a pen from?
  4. Name two or three pens you really like the design of?
  5. What type of nib would like on your pen (width of nib and springy or nail)?

I'm sorry to hear of your loss, but glad to hear that you are comforted by his suffering being at an end. I have neurological problems myself, so know it can be a roller coaster journey.

So far as the pen goes, I started thinking of silver options. A modern tarnish cloth means sterling silver is very little trouble to keep clean and if you use the pen frequently, that may help keep tarnish away. With you mentioning Filofax, that took my attention to Yard-O-Led, but a new Yard-O-Led is out of the price range. Second hand might not be.

penbox.co.uk have a new Parker Sonnet in the sterling silver Cisele pattern for £165 with a choice of nib sizes. I bought my new Yard-O-Led through them - Steve gave me an excellent price and good after-sales service (the first nib and feed was out of alignment, possibly shipping damage, so he got me a new section / nib / feed assembly from Yard-O-Led). I've no connection with them other than a satisfied customer.

That's just one thought. As top pen says, some idea of what you have and what you might like will help. Are you looking for something new or something vintage? What materials interest you?

I am so sorry for your loss. May time and the comfort of friends and family bring you healing over time.

pentulant [adjective]: immodest or wanton in search of all things related to pens<BR> [proper noun]: Christine Witt Visit Pentulant<br>

President, Brush Dance - we make high-quality, mindful Calendars, Planners, Journals, and other fun stuff you'll love

Alexcat- first, please accept my sincere condolences for your loss. I sort of know what your husband and you are going through, because in 2011 and 2012, I suffered a series of multiple strokes. And have had to fight to regain some semblance of normal life ever since.

I do hop that you find the pen that will suit you needs and then write, and that will help you heal, and lessen your grief.

Best of luck.

Edited by Wolverine1

Thank you all so much, for the kindness, and suggestions....meant to look in much sooner but fell asleep watching the tennis nd have just wakened up. I guess my body is telling me it needs rest....

Right, lets try to answer some of the questions(and then I'll go and look at the ones mentioned ove, for which many thanks)

Blue Knight,

What pens do you already have?

I have quite a few in the new/under £30 range.....mainly Parker, plus the second hand 51, which I do like, but am not so fond of the hooded nib as I thought. Also have a couple of Lamy Safaris, again ok, nice cheap and cheerful. Also a red Waterman Harley Davidson(in the fuel tank case) which I love, a white bodied Faber Castell ( Rhombus, I think? Can't remember off hand....most expensive new one I have: love it but the cap will not stay posted, which vexes me greatly), a couple of Watermen(the blue marbled one writes beautifully) and other than that the beginnings of a collection of 'combo' ones.

Which Pens are your favorites?

The Faber Castell, though as I said, I hate the lack of postability......and the Waterman Harley. Also like the Mandarin coloured Parker Urban.

Is there a particular brand you really like or would like to have a pen from?

Hmmmm....not sure; I do have a hankering for a Yardoled, or a Montblanc....

Name two or three pens you really like the design of?

I do like the feel/weight of the urban, and the Faber Castell. Love the heavy fat feeling: I have quite small hands and like a bigger sized pen, but prefer a fine nib( preferably 'sticky-outy', showing the whole lovely nibby shape)

What type of nib would like on your pen (width of nib and springy or nail)?

Fine. And Im too new hear to really understand the other bit....)

Not sure if I'd prefer new or vintage....probably, though not definitely, new.

Am now off to look at the suggestions...apologies for not mentioning everyone by name, but my head is rather scrambled right now. My lovely husband had taken care of everything in advance, some years back, by paying for a funeral bond, which meant there would be as little as possible for me to do in the event of anything happening; it sounds so corny, but we were truly soulmates, sweethearts, meant for one another. Im a fair bit younger than he was....59, to his 80..... Met him at college...he was my drama tutor(though we didnt start to go out till after I had graduated. Very proper, and such, he was)...such a lovely, lovely man. And so handsome(though I am biased...) and with a lopsided smile that just melted my heart.

(Sorry for rambling on....no family or friends, and am pretty much getting through it all by myself. My Mum was killed in a fire two years ago, and I am only just adjusting to that( will not ever get over it....such a dreadful way to go) Life is sore, that's for sure....)

The cats keep me going, bless them. Spock and Data, my wee Vulcan and my wee Android(am a Trekke)

Thanks again to all for the help and kindness. It's keeping my head busy and helping distract my mind from the murky dark paths that it keeps trying to wander down....

"As many nights endure Without a moon or star So will we endure When one is gone and far "Leonard Cohen, of blessed memory(21/09/1934-7/11/2016)

My condolences on your loss.

You mentioned liking the Waterman Harley Davidson. Have you seen the Carene? They have an all-silver Carene Meridian that I happen to think is one of the sleekest pens I've ever seen. It lists for approximately the amount you suggested. The nib on that pen is gorgeous.

All best,

Todd

After reading your responses it seems you like fairly modern attractive looking pens and the brand that comes to my mind is Waterman in particular the Exception, Elegance or the Perspective models.

There are some quite good prices on amazon UK for these with the perspective costing around £70 for any finish the Elegance starting around £120 and the Exception starting around £140. I don't own any of these but the reviews I've read of them seem good.

Thanks to all for the kindness and suggestions.....I shall keep you all posted( ah! A fountain pen pun, and I didn't even realise it! Am getting more knowledgable....attempt at humour)

I can't imagine your loss and won't try to. Love found me late, but better for me as I wasn't prepared any sooner.

I can appreciate your somber theme but have to ask if a bit of the "right" color wouldn't be appropriate. Your Love's eyes? His favorite color? The color you always found him his most handsome in? These are personal things that will keep him closer to you.

The "springy" comment you weren't clear about. Some pens have softer nibs that flex and feel smoother (at least to me). These aren't "flex" pens as that implies a tine spread and a variable width, with pressure, line.

My best advice is to find a pen that embodies your husband to you and stirs thoughts of the amazing Love you shared.

Paul

"Nothing is impossible, even the word says 'I'm Possible!'" Audrey Hepburn