To Pay Or Not To Pay...

NubeAzul

I would like to buy bottled ink and I have checked in almost all online shops in Europe (and probably in USA too). The problem is, that the bottle costs around 12 EUR (16$) and the shipping, in most shops, between 12-14 EUR (16 to 19$) which I find too expensive. Even from a German shop that is almost around the corner they want to add those costs to the final price (it seems my current location is on a special "weird" list. I feel as if I lived somewhere far away, in Nepal, right next to Mount Everest).

Would you pay such a high shipping fee in order to get bottled ink? I could get 2 bottles for this price if they were sold here (but they aren't). So I'm basically buying cartridges only.

Another question is: is there any European shop similar to Goulet Pens? Any store that sells ink samples without charging 14 $ for shipping? I haven't found one, but I'm sure it exists (hopefully).

Thanks in advance for the help.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NubeAzul

• Chrissy

• mhguda

• JulesSilvan

Top Posters In This Topic

Bureaudirect.co.uk

Sign up for an account and you get a discount. Not an overwhelmingly large selection but they carry good, quality inks that should offer you enough choices between a range of colours (Edelstein, J. Herbin, Caran D'Ache).

Prices are good enough that I use them as my go-to store for Herbin or Edelstein and I live in Canada. Pretty amazing they're cheaper (including shipping) than a Canadian retailer is!

Edited by Tylerjordan

You can always email Goulet or Vanness, they may be sympathetic.

Thank you for the suggestion. I wish I was a better negotiator, though...

Bureaudirect.co.uk

Sign up for an account and you get a discount. Not an overwhelmingly large selection but they carry good, quality inks that should offer you enough choices between a range of colours.

Thank you! I will take a look.

there is la couronne du comte they have a flat 10 euro shipping charge.(I think 7 euro for with eu). they offer discount to fpn members as well. they carry almost all brands of ink accept noodlers.

then there is Nordic pen imports...they offer flat 2 euro shipping . here is the post. they mainly carry diamine, aurora etc.

Cult Pens have a good range of ink. Flat rate of £7.50 for shipment to Europe.

You can buy direct from Diamine. They charge £6 for shipment to Europe.

Pure Pens have a good range and only charge £4.95 for shipping goods under £20.00 to Europe.

There are others in the UK too. No affiliation with any of these companies but I have bought from Cult and Pure in the past and got good service.

You don't say where you are located but most UK online pen stores ship for free if the order value is over £10 or £20. Don't you have any online retailers in your country?

The Journal Shop although based in the UK has a very inexpensive International rate. They sell J. Herbin, Diamine and Caran d'Ache ink.

You might also check out The Writing Desk

Edited by Chrissy

The general answer from me is no. I would love to get my hands on a bottle of Liberty's Elysium but not at the shipping price, ordering in multiples means VAT and handling fees. I stick to the Noodlers that Purepens manages to get a hold of every so often.

I do by Iroshizuku from Japan, the cost and shipping come in at less than £15 compared with the average retail of £25 (which generally excludes shipping).

I suppose my answer is that I only buy from overseas if it is economical to do so, if it doubles the price of the ink I find an alternative.

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

The general answer from me is no. I would love to get my hands on a bottle of Liberty's Elysium but not at the shipping price, ordering in multiples means VAT and handling fees. I stick to the Noodlers that Purepens manages to get a hold of every so often.

If you would be prepared to pay the UK P&P, then what you should do is to ask someone who is going to the US at the end of August to bring you back a bottle of Liberty's Elysium. :D ;)

Another question is: is there any European shop similar to Goulet Pens? Any store that sells ink samples without charging 14 $ for shipping? I haven't found one, but I'm sure it exists (hopefully).

There's a UK-based seller on ebay called ldcom2005 who sells a lot of samples, always had good service from him. He doesn't have the range of the Goulets but might be worth asking him about postage.

Thank you for all your answers. I have to agree with Bigeddie here.

Like I mentioned, I actually bought cartridges (in The Writing Desk), and I agree that for cartridges the shipping is quite reasonable (£2). But I do wish that I could get a bottled ink without paying the same (or almost the same) money for shipping costs. I understand they must be high if it's sent overseas, but honestly, Germany is so close to me that it really doesn't make sense that they charge me the same as if I was living in Singapore...

I'll take a look to all those other places and buyers. Thanks again!

I live in a faraway (for some) place and other than Quink and Waterman I buy all my ink online. I have bought from Nordic Imports recently - he has the big sale and flat shipping offer, if you buy a good quantity that really pays off. Also I found xfountainpens dot com have very reasonable shipping rates. (no affiliation, just a satisfied customer, etc). Their Chesterfield ink is supposed to be relabeled Diamine, and in any case has proven very good. Again, it pays to get more than one bottle when you buy, to spread out the shipping costs.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

If you want (and dare) to use Registrar's ink, you could take a look at ESSRI. £10.90 (€13) for 110ml, including worldwide shipping, so it's flat out cheap. Just don't let it sit in your pen unused. This is now my standard ink. (After I finish this bottle, I may try the Diamine version, or R&K Scabiosa and Salix: also very cheap.)

Personally, I don't think anything is worth paying the price of the item itself in shipping charges alone. Looks like some of the other members have given you some great suggestions though on where to find ink with minimal shipping costs. Best of luck :D

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Try Amazon. I bought Iroshizuku from Santa trading in japan. they come with free shipping and they are cheaper retail prices as here in the UK....they take 2-3 weeks to turn up, but that is no problem for me.....Vera :D make sure to order below the custom value....I am sticking to a single bottle at a time.

to your first question - no, i would not pay as much for the shipping of ink. but then I am living in a slightly bigger city than you, because I have inks available to me (not a great selection but ordinary colors and few brands at least).

for the rest i make it a point to buy extra ink bottles when i go visiting any metropolitan city.

in your case, if you are hard pressed maybe one or two bottles for now, but get more when you go visiting next to any bigger city.

Enjoy your pens

Have a nice day

Junaid

I only have a few inks mainly Parker. I plan on seeing the Andersons in Appleton Wi this summer to check out their store and

learn more about the different ink brands.

To the O.P. Maybe should buy in bulk and save money on shipping.

Consider the cost. Bottle ink is relatively cheap.

One ounce is 28 ml. A typical bottle is 60 ml. The short international cartridge holds 0.6 ml of ink.

A large cartridge holds about 1.4 ml of ink . The selection of inks in bottles is vast. I think you will

save money refilling the cartridges from bottles, using a syringe.

What do your calculations tell you ? Are inks from Germany and Italy also expensive ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !