Pilot Custom Heritage 91 In Soft Medium+Hand Written Review

Algester

http://i.imgur.com/fsqYbA8l.jpg

do forgive the mis-spelling... and the Picture quality I was going to scan it only to realize I don't have an active scanner at home

http://i.imgur.com/xlWQQ7bl.jpg

Ito-ya packaging they are all the same for Sailor, Platinum and Pilot the logo just changes

http://i.imgur.com/k05JlcKl.jpg

The goodies inside the Pen doesnt come with a converter so I had to buy it originally only comes with 1 cartridge how I got the extra is a story on it's own the pen pouch "comes" with the package but looking at the receipt it seems you have to buy it as well lol

http://i.imgur.com/Ex1zYOvl.jpg

the pen pouch

http://i.imgur.com/39bJLKPl.jpg

The pen

http://i.imgur.com/MHX61LOl.jpg

The central band

http://i.imgur.com/dzYwVNbl.jpg

Height Comparison?

http://i.imgur.com/22aSjR5l.jpg

Posted Height Comparison?

PS: this is my first review and I still do not know how to "image" my FP reviews if I'll ever have the time to do them

http://imgur.com/xlWQQ7b,i6FXcAD,k05JlcK,z9esjFV,fsqYbA8,39bJLKP,MHX61LO,dzYwVNb,22aSjR5#8

other pictures that I didn't bother also probably high-resolution version of the photos?

Edited by Algester

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Algester

• elevennx

• AlejoPlay

• GHigley

Nice review, thanks. I just bought a 912 with the SFM nib, and have only written a couple of pages so far. I'm really liking the soft Pilot nib so far.

I don't understand why you can not find these models outside Japanese soil... <_< the black really looks classy but I don't know why PIlot and Platinum only made it so the black models have more variated nibs... SFM huh... I bought my brother a SF and he doesn't seem to use it ohh well... I swear I could just have kept it XD

• 1 month later...

Nice pics and review! The pen looks great, and I really like the handwritten note. Looks like a good amount of line variation with the flex. Do you have to press hard to get that effect?

How are you enjoying the pen, since it's been a couple of months since your original post? And do we get to hear the story you mentioned? I'm curious!

Nice, review, I am getting this pen, but in Brown(Yama-Guri).

Sadly, the soft medium can only be had in black, so I went for a normal medium, but thanks for the comparison to the lamy 2000.

I was worried about the size, but if its the same as the lamy I think I will enjoy it just fine.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Congrats on the pen.

However the amount of flex coaxed out of the pen in the writing sample is cringe-worthy. :unsure:

This nib is not meant to be spread like a brush. It's a soft nib, yes, that means it responds well to small variations in pressure, but nothing like the amount flexed in pics.

Please stop before you spring the nib.

Edited by proton007

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

Congrats on the pen.

However the amount of flex coaxed out of the pen in the writing sample is cringe-worthy. :unsure:

This nib is not meant to be spread like a brush. It's a soft nib, yes, that means it responds well to small variations in pressure, but nothing like the amount flexed in pics.

Please stop before you spring the nib.

yes I stopped coaxing the softness of the nib instead I'm just writing normally well if being in temporary storage means anything... but then again my writing method would barely make me appreciate the soft nib... as I'm a left side and over writer... normally...

Edited by Algester

Nice pics and review! The pen looks great, and I really like the handwritten note. Looks like a good amount of line variation with the flex. Do you have to press hard to get that effect?

How are you enjoying the pen, since it's been a couple of months since your original post? And do we get to hear the story you mentioned? I'm curious!

I coaxed the pen a little to get that so much line variation you could at best squeeze 1mm from the nib but I only coaxed the nib for this review... I dont suggest actually doing it on the long run again this is only until semi-flex not true flexy

I'm still liking the pen TBH I wouldnt be ashamed say this pen was my stepping stone to a flexy nib (months soon after I bought myself a vintage flex) I is going to be my EDC pen after all no not the vintage flex. ahh the story... LOL

ok because I was on a tour package in Japan which would mean VERY VERY LIMITED TIME oh and it was a rainy day, I got lost my way to Ito-ya yes our group was in Ginza with freetime about a good 2 hours (which is little considering this is in Tokyo) it took me a good 1 hour and 30 minutes just to get from where our tour group was separated which would be the usual teriyaki place that tour groups visit to Ito-ya... apparently the block where Ito-ya is located is very big, so I asked around where Ito-ya is, (playing ero-ges somewhat paid off hahahaha) and I finally got to the place (a beautiful place if ever you drop by Ginza), then inside Ito-ya (this is where I saw Kakunos and Cocoons/plain Metropolitans) I asked where I can get Iroshizuku inks (this was my true agenda but I made preliminary research on Pilot's site) it is here I was pointed to K. Itoya by the cashier lady (the fine class Ito-ya product line, from FPs to better quality stationary paper is found), it is here I met the soon to be FPN member Chairman miaow looking and testing for Platinum pens, and this is where everything happened LOL, I asked if they they have the CH 91 (I already bought the Iroshizuku inks I wanted namely, Murasaki-Shikibu, Ina-ho, Fuyu-syogun and Take-sumi) in SM they have it but I was first demonstrated with the F which was their Display Model good performing nib as well, then I said that I was going to buy the same pen for my brother only in SF, again they have it so I was ready to transact the pens but Chairman Miaow was curious about how I know these pens that's when I whipped out my TWSBI mini and Lamy Vista from my Sheaffer 2 pen holder, she was also intrigued with testing out the pen I bought the CH 91 in SM (I won't be surprised if she does one day buy a TWSBI mini), well since because seeing that it took me 1.5 hours to get to Ito-ya and that the actual Free-time was about 2 hours this is where the mishap happened as I soon find out later (of course considering I was in a rush, I transacted my business and quickly I went on my way to the bus only to get LOST AGAIN), by the time I got to the Hotel and test the pen so that I could document it on my Pen Booklet did I find out that I got their DISPLAY UNIT the F nib so... I contacted Ito-ya on how to go about this problem (with limited Japanese I have so I was asking if there was someone who can understand english), well so I had to go back to Ginza again go to Ito-ya at least no I know where it was so it was faster, and got my pen changed to the proper nib I wanted the SM the clerk was kind enough to give me one more cartridge for all the hassle hahaha. Thus I ended up with 1 more cartridge and by this time I was eying on that CdA inkchromatic ink bottle... but with little budget I had there's no more way I could spend 3K yen more on which is basically the second day of our 6 day tour considering I was only given a 30K yen budget... <_< OK I KNOW I COULD HAVE BOUGHT A CH 912 but without knowing how I would love the pen I would be making up a gamble plus I still had otaku goods to consider later on the trip...

ending expenditure

http://i.imgur.com/8iXnzyQl.jpg

The clerk also told me I could actually get a duty-free shopping from Ito-ya since I hit the 10K yen+ mark if I showed them my passport but in a state of rush plus I didnt bring my passport with me as it was in the hotel I could not get that 2.2K yen tax rebate yes 1.6K for that Iroshizuku inks that we all soo covet

Edited by Algester

I just bought a Custom 91 with an SF nib. Looking forward to it. Glad I went with the F that SM looks super broad!

I just bought a Custom 91 with an SF nib. Looking forward to it. Glad I went with the F that SM looks super broad!

if will go to BB when pressured after all, I still dont know why but these nibs seem true to western size... or I could barely tell the difference

Plus I would say this will be my only time to actually get hold of a Pilot pen because otherwise I wont get anymore opportunity... since we dont have a strong FP market and we don't have a proper Pilot FP distributor but we do have the usual Pilot pens distributor

Edited by Algester

i have a custom 91 in black with BB and i love it

Pilot custom heritage 74 all nibs, 742 Fa and PO nibs, 823 F 92 F,M, 3776 FM,EF,1911F

And all indian pens

What an adventure! Did you buy any more pens while in Japan? Looks like that one trip to Ito-ya left you with only ¥400 in your budget, so probably not. But now you will always remember buying that pen because of the crazy rushing around to get it.

Did you look at a 912 while you were there? I just read about the posting nib and I'm really curious to know what it's like.

Chairman miaow is a great name!

Oh, cool. I was just looking at your classified add last night and was disappointed that i missed that sailor procolor you had up. Still looking for my first Sailor....

Would love to hear how you like your custom 91 with the sf nib. That one is high on my list right now.

If you want a starter Sailor, I highly recommend the Somiko/Young Rex. I have one in black with a F nib and it's one of my favorite pens ever.

I got a good price for it on eBay from a Japanese vendor (I think it may have been engeika).

What an adventure! Did you buy any more pens while in Japan? Looks like that one trip to Ito-ya left you with only ¥400 in your budget, so probably not. But now you will always remember buying that pen because of the crazy rushing around to get it.

Did you look at a 912 while you were there? I just read about the posting nib and I'm really curious to know what it's like.

Chairman miaow is a great name!

sadly nope because I was in a rushed state... I would look at the bigger cousin but no more time... 30 minutes is already akin to window shopping... :X

but next time HOPEFULLY if we ever go back to Tokyo it will be a more casual trip

but pens on my list

Parallels (if I end up going to Hong Kong I just buy them there)

CH 912 in FA

Capless fermo? else I might go wit the Legno for the love of Ebony wood resined

INKS LOL (I seriously need to visit Maruzen and Bung box for some Sailor Inks, and if Kobe is accessible SAILOR KOBE!!!)

Edited by Algester

I still dont know why but these nibs seem true to western size... or I could barely tell the difference

Contrary to what I have read, I find Pilot gold M nibs to be western equivalent. I haven't tried b nibs but F nibs tend to be equivalent to Western EF. Perhaps because Pilot makes the FM nib.

• 1 month later...

Figured I would also post my writing sample here from my newly purchased PCH91 also on a soft medium nib. It's a beautiful writer and even more so filled with Iroshizuku take-sumi.IMG_20140911_012521.jpg

Edited by ipinkgirl

I'm happy as long as the pen gets the attention :3 isnt that what reviewing is for... in anyway I'm still probably adamant what to do with the pen if something bad happens to it... as we don't have a Pilot FP representative in the philippines it would mean that I will have to personally send the pen to Japan... one way or another

Edited by Algester

• 11 months later...

After seeing this review on YT:

I ordered the 91 soft medium from Engeika.com. I just saw it for less on Amazon with free shipping - c'est la vie. Given the "Chrisrap52" YT review above, Algester's and others positive reviews here (and some luck from the nib-gods), I expect to like it.

My only other experience with a modern "soft" nib is that of the current incarnation of the Platinum 3776 soft fine, which is OK but not a pen I find myself picking up often. Its nib is superior to the medium on my other modern 3776 which shows no visual flaws but may need to find its way to a nibmeister if I can't improve it.

Given my excellent experience with lower-priced Pilot pens, I'm really looking forward to the PCH 91.

Edited by GHigley

The PCH 91 with soft-medium nib arrived today and after only a few minutes use, I find it an excellent pen. The nib is very smooth (as is my experience with other Pilots) and the moderate ink flow is perfect for me - straight out of the box. The line-width is what I consider a western medium, but that is likely a factor of the nibs' true softness. It makes me anxious to try a Pilot soft-fine or soft-medium-fine. I love this pen. Its looks may be understated and price-point reasonable, but its performance is exceptional. Highly recommended.

Edited by GHigley