Inky T O D - Black

amberleadavis

The blackest ink I ever ran across was Organics Studio Charles Darwin (and it dried super fast, too). Unfortunately, it also had spread and bleedthrough problems like nobody's business. Next blackest would be Noodler's Old Manhattan, which also has some spreading issues -- not as badly as OSCD did, but then NOTHING could be that bad. I have a bottle but almost never use the ink. I much prefer Noodler's Heart of Darkness, which is better behaved and black "enough".

My only experience with Sailor Nano Black was in a Platinum Preppy set up with the rollerball head. It was not a successful experiment, because (I think) the particles couldn't get through the fibrous part of the tip.

I have some vintage Quink Microfilm Black. One bottle had a brown undertone to the ink; another had a blue-black component to it. Very strange -- I thought the whole point of the ink was to be easy to photograph onto microfilm to save space when sending mail to the troops.... OTOH, the ink is well behaved and pretty waterproof (I have it in a Parker 51 Vac with an EF nib at the moment).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ErrantSmudge

• Just J

• amberleadavis

• JulieParadise

IMX, the featherocious Noodler's Borealis Black is the Blackest Black Evar! I dilute it at 2:1, and will probably up that to either 3:2 or 1:1 in the near future, which leaves it merely "quite a bit darker than a black Bic," my current requirement for blackness.

If I ever find myself buying another bottle of black ink, it will most likely be Heart of Darkness, for its superior performance wrt feathering (cf Borealis and Bad Black Moccasin) and smudging (cf original Black). Not to mention it's essentially everything-proof, and one is more likely to dissolve the paper than find a solvent that will lift the ink.

I find that HOD and Noodler's Black are a matched pair. NB is useful for wetter pens and poorer quality papers, while HOD is better for drier pens and better quality papers.

As for the Black, Black, Blacketty Black Black Blackest Black, the black that makes a Black Hole look wan and grey, it really does depend on the pen and paper. At times I have NB looking blacker than HOD, and other times, the other way around.

Even Parker Quink Black used with a dip pen on good paper can look Black Hole Black.

I have just received samples of Borealis Black and Dark Matter Black. The latter looks, as it should, like a vintage black ink with mild pretensions of grey, but with the nib/pen I used, the Borealis Black did not impress. More testing to come.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I find that HOD and Noodler's Black are a matched pair. NB is useful for wetter pens and poorer quality papers, while HOD is better for drier pens and better quality papers.

As for the Black, Black, Blacketty Black Black Blackest Black, the black that makes a Black Hole look wan and grey, it really does depend on the pen and paper. At times I have NB looking blacker than HOD, and other times, the other way around.

Even Parker Quink Black used with a dip pen on good paper can look Black Hole Black.

I concur completely with all of this.

I got some samples from Goulet, and did a bakeoff of four Noodler's blacks. Noodler's Standard Black is better behaved on cheap paper, Heart of Darkness works better on quality paper and dries faster. X-Feather wasn't really different enough from Noodler's Standard Black to warrant further consideration, and Bernanke Black has feathering problems and is not all that dark.

I have also noticed that NB can look darker than HOD, and vice-versa, depending on the paper in use. And I have a few drops left of Quink Black (with Solv-X) that at times can look extremely dark.

I have a great big bottle of HOD which I really like. If I were to buy more blacks, it would probably be Noodler's Standard Black, followed by Aurora Black (running low) and Lamy Black. Lamy Black is a "soft" black, but it is a very well-behaved ink and is good to have on hand for vintage pens and problematic pens.

Edited by ErrantSmudge

Borealis black is about the blackest ink I've used, but it has negative water resistance....

Dark Matter is my standard black ink. Not because it is the blackest but because it is the most well behaved over a range of pens and papers. I've always liked vintage inks, particularly Quink Blue Black. Dark Matter reminds me of the qualities of that ink; dries fast, doesn't bleed through or feather with even halfway decent paper, flows well, and doesn't stain my pens. I use a fair amount of black ink and Dark Matter is affordable for my every day use. Now if I could just buy it in a quart bottle...

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

Dark Matter is my standard black ink. Not because it is the blackest but because it is the most well behaved over a range of pens and papers. I've always liked vintage inks, particularly Quink Blue Black. Dark Matter reminds me of the qualities of that ink; dries fast, doesn't bleed through or feather with even halfway decent paper, flows well, and doesn't stain my pens. I use a fair amount of black ink and Dark Matter is affordable for my every day use. Now if I could just buy it in a quart bottle...

+1 Shades nice too.

Walk in shadow / Walk in dread / Loosefish walk / As Like one dead

• 2 years later...

Here's Pilot Iroshizuku Take-Sumi. It's soooooo smooth to write with, don't know if it's the ink itself or the pen&ink combo, since both are new to me and I don't plan to ink other pens I own with black. But at some point I will fill the same pen with Pilot Black and Diamine Onyx Black and then I'll get back to this topic with some thoughts on how the inks compare to each other.

post-149236-0-94282700-1569586775_thumb.jpeg

Aurora Black is the perfect black for me. A black black that is wet and well behaved. I just wish it was available locally...

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

After using deep and vivid colors so often, when I load a pen with black it has an excitement of its own, just because it is so different than the inks I usually use. And it feels very utilitarian. So I have come to embrace black ink.

I don't know which is the best blackest black ever etc... But here are my impressions.

Same pen, same paper (Midori MD) and within minutes so i remember what preceded.

The first four on the list are very close.

Sailor being slightly wetter (wet ≠ lubricated) not necessarily the smoothest, of the FIRST FOUR.

Take sumi has a nice red sheen, Sailor is really close,

Perle noire leans towards the brown side,

Aurora is the most plebicited, if i may a neologism,

Kiwa guro has a massive silver sheen (not visible in my pictures) that mutes blackness to the eye.

The unnamed one (and blackest on my short list of blacks ) is the Platinum carbon.

All those inks behave fantastically well on good paper. I never write on (c r a p) paper, so i cannot say anything about that.

Sailor doyou is very dark brown. It is the wettest (≠ not the smoothest). Too wet even for a Sailor?

Kobe #31 is gray. Not black.

I apprehend Nano carbon inks. Maybe i should not and just be cautious.

I have tried samples of Kaweco and Caran d'Ache ( not here) a month or two ago. I remember they looked like stunning charcoal. Very matte no sheen. Kaweco seemed on the dry side. I am pretty sure they have the same german manufacturer.

My preference goes to Perle noire or Aurora, for no reason at all.

FIRST PICTURE: silicon brush.

SECOND PICTURE: cotton swab.

post-135914-0-50375100-1569615374_thumb.jpg

post-135914-0-85794700-1569615385_thumb.jpg

Edited by nibtip

• 2 years later...

I've seen it all over the place, have searched here & intarwebz,

I've looked - honest! - with no degree of determinable success. 

So okay, gonna have to ask -- what does 'T O D' stand for? 

(I'm sure the answer given's gonna knock me to the floor!)

(And....any likeness to 'Them Damn Blue Collar Tweakers' is likely coincidental!) 

Ever notice that all the instruments looking for signs of intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth? 

~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~

If I said I'll fix it, I will. There's no need to remind me every six months. 

~ 

It stand for "Topic of the Day" I think, or maybe "Thought of the Day".

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

24 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

It stand for "Topic of the Day" I think, or maybe "Thought of the Day".

According to Amberlea's signature line, it means "Topic of the Day".  (see screenshot)

2143121668_Screenshot2022-07-18111007.thumb.jpg.2bac0147bed9cef6b9e71d6363f3d7a9.jpg

Makes sense - thanx ES! 

Weird tho, Search here for TOD & T O D (spaced), reveals precious little. And the WEBZ!?!  Hoo boy!  :: 

Definition
TOD Transit Oriented Development (land development designed to encourage mass transit use)
TOD Thought of the Day
TOD Transfer on Death
TOD Time Of Day
TOD The Oil Drum (website)
TOD Tree of Death
TOD Touch of Death (gaming)
TOD Trail of Dead (band)
TOD The Other Day
TOD Topic of Discussion
TOD Truth Or Dare
TOD Tour Of Duty
TOD Test of Details (accountings)
TOD Tales of Destiny (video game)
TOD The Open Door (band)
TOD Talent on Demand
TOD Tickets on Departure
TOD Time Out Detection
TOD Torque on Demand
TOD Terms of Delivery
TOD Time Of Death
TOD Temple of Doom (Indiana Jones movie)
TOD Toyota of Dallas (Dallas, TX)
TOD Tales of Destiny (game)
TOD Time Of Delivery
TOD Time Of Departure
TOD Triangle Orientation Discrimination
TOD Torque on Demand (Isuzu)
TOD Target Organ Damage
TOD Technical Operations Department (various organiations)
TOD Total Oxygen Demand (environmental analysis)
TOD Top of Descent
TOD Transparency Obligations Directive (EU)
TOD Television on Demand (Broadbus)
TOD Train Operator Display
TOD Turnover Discount (various companies)
TOD Team of Destiny
TOD Third Order Dispersion
TOD Theoretical Oxygen Demand
TOD Take-Off Distance
TOD Tactical Ocean Data
TOD Teacher of Deaf (education qualification)
TOD Temporary Overdraft (banking)
TOD Theatre of the Deaf
TOD Time Of Dispatch
TOD Tail Over Deck (aircraft)
TOD Teen Open Diary
TOD Test of Design (various organizations)
TOD Tool on Demand (AOL software update)
TOD Telecommunications On Demand Inc (Orwigsburg, PA)
TOD Technical Order Data
TOD Time of Detonation
TOD Technical Objective Document
TOD Top of Duct
TOD Task Object Design
TOD Transfer of Ownership Document (automobiles)
TOD The Obscure Disaster (Band)
TOD Touch of Downs
TOD Target Offset Distance
TOD Tunable Optical Detector (photonics)
TOD Tool Operational Definition
TOD

Tradeoff Determination

TOD Turk Ortodonti Dernegi (Turkish: Turkish Association of Orthodontics)
TOD Textes de La Décentralisation (French: Decentralization Law)
TOD

Target Object Descriptor

It apparently means a lot of things! 

Ever notice that all the instruments looking for signs of intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth? 

~ 

Taking a shot; I'd taken that as for the 'Co-Razy-Views' thread. Not a follower so not much chance to disprove. 

~ 

12 hours ago, Just J said:

Taking a shot; I'd taken that as for the 'Co-Razy-Views' thread. Not a follower so not much chance to disprove. 

What does the "Co-" stand for, then? Is it just onomatopoetic to mimic how one says "crazy"? For non-native speakers this might not be as obvious. 😉

But thank you!