Nakaya Newbie Help!

Josey

I've been into pens for about 2 months now, and I just got my first fountain pens - Pilot Metropolitan M and F nibs - recently. I LOVE them! Width-wise, the F nib approximates my beloved 0.38 mm gel pens, and the M nib is similar to my 0.5 mm gel pens, which is perfect for my writing style. I LOVE the pens. I love the "romance" of the idea of fountain pens, but I genuinely love the feel and performance of the ones I have. Now, I'd love to aim for something even better, a little "fancier" in performance, and visually stunning.

I've been doing a bit of intensive research on fountain pens, and have come to focus on the Nakaya brand as particularly fascinating, due to the reputation and beauty of the pens. I would like to start saving for a custom Nakaya while I become more expert at using the Metropolitan pens. I'd much rather have a "workhorse, EDC" pen and a "special occasion" pen than a lot of pens somewhere in between (I've collected stuff all my life, and this is the kind of collection I prefer to have).

I've been doing a lot of forum searching, and general Googling, and I still have some questions. I've sent a short inquiry to nibs.com, but I hesitate to bother them much at this point, since I'm not "on the verge" of buying the pen.

Here are, then my questions:

1. I would really love a nib that lays down a Pilot Metropolitan M nib line, but can produce noticeable (but not dramatic) line variation without much trouble - would a Medium-Soft Stub nib with flex be adequate? Too much? I'm a beginner, but I don't mind at all having to practice a bit.

2. The Pilot Metropolitan M's line is a touch too wet for me (for reference, I've been using Iroshizuku ink and would like to make it my standard); what "ink flow level" should I request for the nib, then?

2. I ADORE the idea of a blue dragon Naka-Ai - how does the size and weight of this pen compare to the Pilot Metropolitan?

3. Does anyone know how much it would cost to have a dragon rolling stopper set with stone eyes/ball that would match the blue-green of the design?

4. I live in the US - does anyone know what kind of tax is added? I'm trying to figure out exactly how much this pen would cost me (aside from "A LOT" ;))

5. Paper-wise, I've tried a number of brands out, and prefer Rhodia thus far. Tomoe River paper sounds AMAZING; I don't mind some show-through, as I've been journalling with gel pens on Moleskine paper, but I'm curious - for people who have the kind of Nakaya pen nib I'm aiming for, have you tried it on Tomoe River paper, and how did it perform?

Thank you so much!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Josey

• Algester

• alarickc

• dneal

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been into pens for about 2 months now, and I just got my first fountain pens - Pilot Metropolitan M and F nibs - recently. I LOVE them! Width-wise, the F nib approximates my beloved 0.38 mm gel pens, and the M nib is similar to my 0.5 mm gel pens, which is perfect for my writing style. I LOVE the pens. I love the "romance" of the idea of fountain pens, but I genuinely love the feel and performance of the ones I have. Now, I'd love to aim for something even better, a little "fancier" in performance, and visually stunning.

I've been doing a bit of intensive research on fountain pens, and have come to focus on the Nakaya brand as particularly fascinating, due to the reputation and beauty of the pens. I would like to start saving for a custom Nakaya while I become more expert at using the Metropolitan pens. I'd much rather have a "workhorse, EDC" pen and a "special occasion" pen than a lot of pens somewhere in between (I've collected stuff all my life, and this is the kind of collection I prefer to have).

I've been doing a lot of forum searching, and general Googling, and I still have some questions. I've sent a short inquiry to nibs.com, but I hesitate to bother them much at this point, since I'm not "on the verge" of buying the pen.

Here are, then my questions:

1. I would really love a nib that lays down a Pilot Metropolitan M nib line, but can produce noticeable (but not dramatic) line variation without much trouble - would a Medium-Soft Stub nib with flex be adequate? Too much? I'm a beginner, but I don't mind at all having to practice a bit.

2. The Pilot Metropolitan M's line is a touch too wet for me (for reference, I've been using Iroshizuku ink and would like to make it my standard); what "ink flow level" should I request for the nib, then?

2. I ADORE the idea of a blue dragon Naka-Ai - how does the size and weight of this pen compare to the Pilot Metropolitan?

3. Does anyone know how much it would cost to have a dragon rolling stopper set with stone eyes/ball that would match the blue-green of the design?

4. I live in the US - does anyone know what kind of tax is added? I'm trying to figure out exactly how much this pen would cost me (aside from "A LOT" ;))

5. Paper-wise, I've tried a number of brands out, and prefer Rhodia thus far. Tomoe River paper sounds AMAZING; I don't mind some show-through, as I've been journalling with gel pens on Moleskine paper, but I'm curious - for people who have the kind of Nakaya pen nib I'm aiming for, have you tried it on Tomoe River paper, and how did it perform?

Thank you so much!

In the US, contact nibs.com

they represent Nakaya in your country.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Thank you so much!

1. My Nakaya has a medium soft nib. It is a wonderful nib, soft and springy; but doesn't offer line variation. You would need to have a stub or flexible nib custom ground (I would choose a stub, given your personal description).

2. We don't know what the flow is on your metropolitan. The nib as delivered from John Mottishaw is right in the middle. Wet enough to offer a little shading, but that's about it (using Pelikan Edelstein Topaz). It laid a thick wet line with the ink out of the Platinum cartridge.

3. Longer, but not much heavier. There's a size comparison tool on nibs.com. You're at $170 for the dragon stopper by itself. You would have to get a quote for anything inset, and price will also vary based on the material of the "stone". That's also going to make the whole thing a custom order, so figure at least 6-9 months before delivery.

4. Shouldn't be any sales tax unless you live in California. A "standard" Nakaya will run $550-750.

5. It's the ink as much as the nib that will bleed or feather. Pilot black cartridges bleed/feather on moleskine, but pelikan 4001 black doesn't (from a Namiki Falcon, for example). You should look up paper reviews instead.

The dragon roller stopper is already about 170USD + the urushi 1500 USD with the standard nib plating
check with nibs.com if they can give you a proper quote of the pen you so desire
Also I would suggest go find someone with a Platinum 3776 SF and check how you would like to write with the pen as Nakaya and Platinum are one and the same company if you like the line variation the Soft touch gives you ALSO make sure the Nib isnt brand new as the Platinum soft nibs needs to be broke in to give that "flexy" feel

Ok Nakaya being Nakaya your paying for the Urushi Maki-e artwork which is already pricy but I think you also have the option to chose a body for the Urushi for free

give or take you need 1670 USD for your pen

As the body for the Seiryu uses a Cigar, Long <== Used on Nakaya's webpage again for Seiryu

This is the blue version though if you want the 4 god's seiryu which is priced at 1600 USD
Total weight: 25.0g
Body weight: 17.0g
Total length: 163.0mm
Barrel length: 143.0mm
Max diameter: 15.0mm

For the Piccolo <== Used on nibs.com Seiyu Naka-ai

Total weight: 20.0g
Body weight: 15.0g
Total length: 130.0mm
Barrel length: 116.0mm
Total length(with cap): 160.0mm

For the Cigar Portable

Total length: 149.0mm
Barrel length: 128.0mm
Total length(with cap): 174.0mm

http://www.nakaya.org/en/gallery.aspx?body=Cigar

I also suggest look up to the site Nakaya also makes Custom pens btw you can op for that if you want

Edited by Algester

When you get ready to order, I would highly recommend calling Classic Fountain Pens and discussing the nib options. You can also mail them writing samples from pens with the line width and flow that you prefer and John can modify the Nakaya to suit your tastes. Based on your description, I think that a soft nib with added flex is too much - I'd recommend a standard nib modified to a stub or smooth cursive italic. PM me if you'd like and I can send you writing samples from my modified Nakaya nibs on Rhodia and Tomoe River paper so you can see how they perform.

As far as taxes go, you won't have to worry about import duty on any pen from nibs.com. The only potential add on will be state sales tax if you live in California.

1. My Nakaya has a medium soft nib. It is a wonderful nib, soft and springy; but doesn't offer line variation. You would need to have a stub or flexible nib custom ground (I would choose a stub, given your personal description).

2. We don't know what the flow is on your metropolitan. The nib as delivered from John Mottishaw is right in the middle. Wet enough to offer a little shading, but that's about it (using Pelikan Edelstein Topaz). It laid a thick wet line with the ink out of the Platinum cartridge.

3. Longer, but not much heavier. There's a size comparison tool on nibs.com. You're at $170 for the dragon stopper by itself. You would have to get a quote for anything inset, and price will also vary based on the material of the "stone". That's also going to make the whole thing a custom order, so figure at least 6-9 months before delivery.

4. Shouldn't be any sales tax unless you live in California. A "standard" Nakaya will run $550-750.

5. It's the ink as much as the nib that will bleed or feather. Pilot black cartridges bleed/feather on moleskine, but pelikan 4001 black doesn't (from a Namiki Falcon, for example). You should look up paper reviews instead.

Thank you!!

1. I'm hoping that perhaps adding flex to a stub nib would increase the stub's line variation...I absolutely do not expect copperplate like variation, but I would like to be able to see variation without squinting too hard.

2. Do you think that if I asked for a nib that's "a little less wet than the Pilot Metropolitan M nib loaded with Iroshizuku ink," they would know what I mean?

3. Ahh I see! I've asked for a price quote for "stones that would match the dragon motif." I don't care what they're made of as long as they match, if matching stones are possible. I'm trying to estimate a total cost higher than those people have quoted in reply just because I have no idea how much the stones would add to the cost.

4. Awesome! It's just that I like having an exact goal to shoot for, even if that goal is very steep.

5. Will do :)

The dragon roller stopper is already about 170USD + the urushi 1500 USD with the standard nib plating

check with nibs.com if they can give you a proper quote of the pen you so desire

Also I would suggest go find someone with a Platinum 3776 SF and check how you would like to write with the pen as Nakaya and Platinum are one and the same company if you like the line variation the Soft touch gives you ALSO make sure the Nib isnt brand new as the Platinum soft nibs needs to be broke in to give that "flexy" feel

Ok Nakaya being Nakaya your paying for the Urushi Maki-e artwork which is already pricy but I think you also have the option to chose a body for the Urushi for free

give or take you need 1670 USD for your pen

As the body for the Seiryu uses a Cigar, Long <== Used on Nakaya's webpage again for Seiryu

This is the blue version though if you want the 4 god's seiryu which is priced at 1600 USD

Total weight: 25.0g

Body weight: 17.0g

Total length: 163.0mm

Barrel length: 143.0mm

For the Piccolo <== Used on nibs.com Seiyu Naka-ai

Total length: 130.0mm

Barrel length: 116.0mm

Total length(with cap): 160.0mm

For the Cigar Portable

Total length: 149.0mm

Barrel length: 128.0mm

Total length(with cap): 174.0mm

http://www.nakaya.org/en/gallery.aspx?body=Cigar

I also suggest look up to the site Nakaya also makes Custom pens btw you can op for that if you want

Oooooo is the Naka-ai the same as the piccolo?

So asking for a "Soft" nib adds to line variation? (for example, if I want line variation and go for a stub in order to get it, would I get more visible results with a soft or regular nib ground to a stub?)

I have .5mm stub on one of my Nakaya's and it is currently inked with Iro. I'll try to post a writing sample tonight with some more specs if you'd like. -Alaric

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/fpn_1424623518__super_pinks-bottle%20resized_zps9ihtoixe.png

So asking for a "Soft" nib adds to line variation?

Not really. The Nakaya "soft" nibs just have a lot of spring, but they are not "flex" nibs. One modification is to remove nib material on either side to increase the flex and get a more traditional "flex" nib that creates dramatic line variation (for Spencerian writing, as an example). Writing with a nib like that requires some practice/skill, and you can ruin the nib if you don't know what you're doing.

For a slight bit of line variation, you should look at a stub. For a little more line variation, an italic. The stub will be very forgiving with regard to position, and the italic requires keeping the nib in the "sweet spot".

The amount of variation depends on the width of the nib, primarily. Pick up an inexpensive Lamy from Goulet or other vendor, and add an extra italic nib (they're really stubs rather than crisp italics). Lamy makes three of them: 1.1mm, 1.5mm, and 1.9mm. They are easily swapped (Goulet has a video on how to do that). Play with those before dropping several hundred dollars on a Nakaya.

Oooooo is the Naka-ai the same as the piccolo?

So asking for a "Soft" nib adds to line variation? (for example, if I want line variation and go for a stub in order to get it, would I get more visible results with a soft or regular nib ground to a stub?)

Soft nibs are only for semi-flex writing if you ever wrote with a Pilot Elabo/Falcon depending on where you are living (because I know thats the only pen available outside Japan with Soft nib options from PIlot) you will notice you can put some line variation by increasing writing pressure however that's Pilot version of a soft nib for Platinum their version of a soft nib is more springy if not broke in properly (when broke in properly it should also write like a semi-flex) but if you want to write with a line variation without changing pressure go for stub... ideally this will really depend on your writing style

if you want to study flex writing go with a noodler's pen IF you want to study flex

http://i.imgur.com/lQdZXoPl.jpg

such is my example with a soft medium but Pilot as thats the only Soft nib pen I have, I bought one soft fine for my brother not sure if he's ever using that pen...

but again my suggestion is pick your fancy if you like semi-flex... or just like variation... if not go look for people with soft nibs from platinum if you like how it writes and what it gives you your call your choice I do presume 1000+ USD is still far away?

Edited by Algester

I have .5mm stub on one of my Nakaya's and it is currently inked with Iro. I'll try to post a writing sample tonight with some more specs if you'd like. -Alaric

I would LOVE that, thank you!! :)

Not really. The Nakaya "soft" nibs just have a lot of spring, but they are not "flex" nibs. One modification is to remove nib material on either side to increase the flex and get a more traditional "flex" nib that creates dramatic line variation (for Spencerian writing, as an example). Writing with a nib like that requires some practice/skill, and you can ruin the nib if you don't know what you're doing.

For a slight bit of line variation, you should look at a stub. For a little more line variation, an italic. The stub will be very forgiving with regard to position, and the italic requires keeping the nib in the "sweet spot".

The amount of variation depends on the width of the nib, primarily. Pick up an inexpensive Lamy from Goulet or other vendor, and add an extra italic nib (they're really stubs rather than crisp italics). Lamy makes three of them: 1.1mm, 1.5mm, and 1.9mm. They are easily swapped (Goulet has a video on how to do that). Play with those before dropping several hundred dollars on a Nakaya.

Great idea! Since I'm a beginner, and I hear cursive italic can be a bit tricky, I should try for something relatively cheap in that style first...stub would be easier for me, but cursive italic would give me more line variation...

Does anyone know of a guide to fountain pen nibs that gives the measurements of the tips in millimeters, like the nib guide on nibs.com? I'd really like to be able to find an affordable cursive italic nib with the same width as the Nakaya medium to test out.

Soft v. regular and stub v. smooth cursive italic are what's eating me atm re: this Nakaya....

I'm especially VERY curious to see a stub or cursive italic medium nakaya on lined Rhodia paper; I've found that my Pilot Metropolitan lines are thinner on Rhodia than on other papers I've tried, such as the staples eco and black n red, and the inkled line - to - paper line spacing proportions are VERY important to me. I'm sure I'll be able to send in a writing sample when I'm ready to order, but from what I've experianced, the Pilot Metro M nib w/ Iroshizuku black ink on Rhodia paper = the width of line I want (or something a hair narrower).

Soft nibs are only for semi-flex writing if you ever wrote with a Pilot Elabo/Falcon depending on where you are living (because I know thats the only pen available outside Japan with Soft nib options from PIlot) you will notice you can put some line variation by increasing writing pressure however that's Pilot version of a soft nib for Platinum their version of a soft nib is more springy if not broke in properly (when broke in properly it should also write like a semi-flex) but if you want to write with a line variation without changing pressure go for stub... ideally this will really depend on your writing style

if you want to study flex writing go with a noodler's pen IF you want to study flex

http://i.imgur.com/lQdZXoPl.jpg

such is my example with a soft medium but Pilot as thats the only Soft nib pen I have, I bought one soft fine for my brother not sure if he's ever using that pen...

but again my suggestion is pick your fancy if you like semi-flex... or just like variation... if not go look for people with soft nibs from platinum if you like how it writes and what it gives you your call your choice I do presume 1000+ USD is still far away?

Gorgeous! :) Thank you!

I'm actually not TOO far away, thankfully, if I can resist buying inks and notebooks in the meanwhile (I very carefully segregate my "fun" money from my "necessary stuff/savings" money). I could buy an "entry level" Nakaya now, if I wanted, but as I only plan on getting one Nakaya (unless I really hit the big time!) I'd rather save for my dream Nakaya.

Here is the writing sample. -Alaric

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a549/alarickc1/Unknownpicnov1971_zpsc9df417d.jpg

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/fpn_1424623518__super_pinks-bottle%20resized_zps9ihtoixe.png

Here is the writing sample. -Alaric

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a549/alarickc1/Unknownpicnov1971_zpsc9df417d.jpg

Thank you!!! :)

(Sorry it's taken me so long to reply, I'm usually on my ipad and it's difficult to type on it)

The amazing geoduc mailed me some beautiful and incredibly helpful Nakaya/other writing samples!!! It's convinced me that I NEED a Nakaya medium smooth cursive italic (as well as a number of inks and Tomoe River paper!)

I've been blown away by how friendly and helpful you guys are :) This is really my first foray into the social aspect of the hobby (previously it was just me listening to The Pen Addict and surfing pen blogs).

• 2 months later...

I'm back and ALMOST ready to order!! Now what's killing me is the blue-green vs red dragons, even after looking through tons of pictures!

Is the tame-sukashi dragon more teal or green?

Is the aka-tamenuri dragon (once it "ascends") metallic gold or yellow?

I would adore both, but that isn't going to happen anytime soon!

Tomoe River is exceptional paper. 55 gsm paper. Unlike Moleskine it doesn't feather or bleed. Rhodia is heavier but sized and no bleed, feathering or show through. Nakaya Soft M with flex isn't bad at all, pretty good variation. You might want to consider a Medium Stub. I have a few and most are B or BB LOB and Stubs. In fact am waiting for # 9.....

• 1 year later...