The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Young Collectors Guide

inexpensive fountain pens student

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 cambookpro

cambookpro

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 May 2014 - 15:42

I think Parker also can use international cartridges.

I'm not a C/C type so am limited to what I know.

Unfortunately not - I think Parker cartridges are a tad wider (though could be the other way around) at the opening.

They do take Aurora cartridges too, though.

Parker 75, Ingenuity, Premier, Sonnet, Urban | Pelikan M400 | TWSBI Diamond 580 | Visconti Rembrandt

Currently inked: Diamine Apple Glory (Rembrandt), Pelikan 4001 Turquoise (M400), Lamy Black (Diamond 580)

Sponsored Content

#22 David_W

David_W

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 May 2014 - 16:32

Parker cartridges are indeed wider at the nipple end than standard international, so they are incompatible.

#23 Auspice

Auspice

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:22

Fantastic idea for a guide! It'll be nice to have someplace to go peep real quick as I'm learning more about pens on my limited budget. :)

#24 George.A

George.A

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 May 2014 - 13:29

Really good idea! One of my first fountain pens is a Sheaffer Prelude Stainless Steel Fountain Pen with Chrome Trim and I still like it a lot. Ok, it's not the cheapest one around, but still on the cheap side at under 50$ and it has a really nice value for money.

#25 chad.trent

chad.trent

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 May 2014 - 13:35

This is actually something I've been working on. I'm getting together a list of inexpensive pens (sub $50) and going to review them and do a sort of comparison. I want it to be a "beginner's buyers guide" of sorts. I hope to have it done in a few months once I buy the rest of the pens I need.

#26 Auspice

Auspice

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 May 2014 - 16:52

I will add that my Jinhao 750 ($9.50 from Goulet pens) is fantastic. It's my first decent fountain pen, so I have little to compare by, but my father (who is a fan of calligraphy and has had many pens over the years) was impressed by it. It comes with a converter (though not a very good one) and does take standard international cartridges. 

I've seen one post so far on these boards about someone whose 750 came apart at the collar a bit, but I haven't had any signs of such behavior out of mine. It's a pen that you won't mind carrying around everywhere, but it looks like it's worth a good deal.

#27 Algester

Algester

(´Д⊂ヽ

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,789 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2014 - 17:35

there also Tombow Object which is fairly inexpensive but shorter than the Metropolitan

#28 Renfield

Renfield

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 June 2014 - 23:44

Unfortunately not - I think Parker cartridges are a tad wider (though could be the other way around) at the opening.

They do take Aurora cartridges too, though.

Lamy Carts work just fine in a Parker, and vice versa. As do converters

Posted Image Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: inexpensive, fountain pens, student

Sponsored Content

|