The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Waterman Harmonie

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 ToyfaceWonderman

ToyfaceWonderman

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 13:14

This just so happens to be my very first review, and also one of my first few posts on the FPN. Which is a brilliant thing! I thank ye all so I do!
I got this Harmonie for last Christmas and since then I've used it pretty much all the time for a good long while now. When I got the pen it was fitted with the regular medium nib. Which was a wonderfully smooth and wet write. But not too wet. It was an exceptional nib I have to say. Then, after a month or so of use with no problems whatsoever, I dropped it! wallbash.gif Nib first as well! The first thing I did was bend it back the best I could. Which I did pretty well, the man in the shop said so lol! But it certainly wasn't the same, it'd creak, and ink flow would stop every now and then. But even then it was a lovely pen. After a couple of weeks of that I went to the shop and I had a fine nib fitted. Whole new nib section. Now, this is where the pen did shine. The fine is absolutely wonderful to write with. It's very smooth and creates a very nice line, and only has the tiniest bit of tooth. It really is a pleasure to write with, my journal is graced with it daily.
The nib is great, as is the grip. The grib is just molded resin, no frills or anything. Just a grip, but it's so nice to hold and it makes writing rather pleasurable. The pen's barrel and lid are made from metal and then covered in a red and black chequered lacquer. Which is another lovely point about the pen, it's so damned pretty I can stare at it on my desk for a good few minutes before I actually get any work done!
I've currently got it running off of Waterman Florida Blue cartridges, I'm getting a converter soon. The pen writes with this very nicely and the ink dries almost instantly after writing. Smudging is also very, very rare. So, to sum it up, I'd give the Waterman Harmonie an 8 out of 10. And yes, I've used an Edson tongue.gif

*Additional* The converter and ink I purchased from thewritingdesk.co.uk arrived(which was damned quick by the way). The Harmonie works perfectly from it and the Diamine Aqua Blue runs nicely through the pen. So, if you want to use bottled ink, then you can...perfectly! Most of you do, just you know, every little helps tongue.gif

Attached Images

• s2010028.jpg

Edited by ToyfaceWonderman, 06 March 2007 - 20:41.

"First come smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire" -- Roland Deschain, of Gilead
http://www.tomsblog.joes-place.co.uk/blog/

Sponsored Content

#2 jd50ae

jd50ae

http://www.chaeyahne.net

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2007 - 13:30

Very nice first post.

I am starting to think that a bit of drag or tooth may be a good thing. Not enough to dig into the paper, just enough to feel. It seems that a super smooth nib and a bit of flourish can continue right off the paper.

I normally remind the new person that I am the only sane person here, but I am too tired.

Welcome to FPN....... biggrin.gif

#3 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2007 - 13:38

I like this waterman and great review wink.gif Welcome to fpn.
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#4 lisa

lisa

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 14:01

Thanks for the review, couldn't come at a better time. I've been lusting after (Is it lusting after or lusting for?) this pen lately because of its looks.

georges zaslavsky,
Do you happen to own both the Harmonie and Phileas? I have a Phileas F nib and I'm wondering how it compares to the Harmonie F nib, also wonder if it's the same as the Apostrophe F nib which I like a lot.

Update! I have written my first impressions on the beige version F nib of this pen further on in this thread in this post

Edited by lisa, 15 March 2007 - 18:46.

#5 ToyfaceWonderman

ToyfaceWonderman

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 14:07

I've tried a Phileas fine. Whilst I ws in the shop I took the liberty to try nothing short of...everything! It's about the same as the Harmonie's nib I would have said. The woman only let me "dip" so I dunno much really. But both nibs are pretty nice. The Phileas is a beautiful pen anyway!

Edited by ToyfaceWonderman, 04 March 2007 - 14:08.

#6 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

• Member - Gold

• 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2007 - 14:26

QUOTE (lisa @ Mar 4 2007, 02:01 PM)
Thanks for the review, couldn't come at a better time. I've been lusting after (Is it lusting after or lusting for?) this pen lately because of its looks.

georges zaslavsky,
Do you happen to own both the Harmonie and Phileas? I have a Phileas F nib and I'm wondering how it compares to the Harmonie F nib, also wonder if it's the same as the Apostrophe F nib which I like a lot.

Hi Lisa

I do not own the Harmony, but I do won two Phileas/Kulturs in its green translucent version. It is a very good pen with a great still nib. I have a waterman Forum, the predecessor of the Harmony which was strongly inspired from the man 100 and it was as good as my Kulturs. I have heard a lot of good from the Harmonie and it is great pen for the price.

hope it helps

regards and all the best

georges

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#7 ToyfaceWonderman

ToyfaceWonderman

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 14:30

You know what, I purchased a Forum frokm ebay last week. I love that as well. You got any objections if I do a review of that as well Georges? Dunno if someone has beaten me to it. It's a slow sunday and I'm rather bored you see tongue.gif

#8 jd50ae

jd50ae

http://www.chaeyahne.net

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2007 - 14:35

QUOTE (ToyfaceWonderman @ Mar 4 2007, 08:30 AM)
You know what, I purchased a Forum frokm ebay last week. I love that as well. You got any objections if I do a review of that as well Georges? Dunno if someone has beaten me to it. It's a slow sunday and I'm rather bored you see tongue.gif

Post away with those reviews. I prefer it when someone spends their money before I spend mine. tongue.gif

Oh, you can do a search to see if one has been done before.

#9 lisa

lisa

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 18:46

QUOTE (georges zaslavsky @ Mar 4 2007, 03:26 PM)

Hi Lisa

I do not own the Harmony, but I do won two Phileas/Kulturs in its green translucent version. It is a very good pen with a great still nib. I have a waterman Forum, the predecessor of the Harmony which was strongly inspired from the man 100 and it was as good as  my Kulturs. I have heard a lot of good from the Harmonie and it is great pen for the price.

hope it helps

regards and all the best

georges

QUOTE (ToyfaceWonderman @ Mar 4 2007, 03:07 PM)
I've tried a Phileas fine. Whilst I ws in the shop I took the liberty to try nothing short of...everything! It's about the same as the Harmonie's nib I would have said. The woman only let me "dip" so I dunno much really. But both nibs are pretty nice. The Phileas is a beautiful pen anyway!

Thanks for the info! smile.gif

#10 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

• Member - Gold

• 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2007 - 18:52

QUOTE (ToyfaceWonderman @ Mar 4 2007, 02:30 PM)

No, I think a review about the forum is a great thing, I will encourage you to do it. The forum needs to be known, it was an economic version of the man 100 but it was an extremely good writer. I still have my white and navy blue forum in almost nos condition.

#11 ToyfaceWonderman

ToyfaceWonderman

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 21:51

You can read my Forum review now lol! It took me long enough, I got a creative wind and wrote some more of my novel you see tongue.gif Enjoy!

#12 lisa

lisa

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 00:41

If I look at you nice and bash my eyelashes, will you make some more pics of the harmonie for me? wink.gif I haven't decided on what finish I like best.

#13 Maja

Maja

Fan of colourful pens

• FPN Hon. Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,430 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2007 - 09:23

Thanks for the review! Glad you got a new nib for your Harmonie and that you don't have to cope with a fountain pen that skips (I hate that myself!).
Keep up the nice reviews and welcome to FPN! biggrin.gif
Vancouver (B.C) Pen Club (our website)

#14 ToyfaceWonderman

ToyfaceWonderman

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 17:09

You know what Lisa...I can sure as hell do that for ye! Be glad to! I'll post them up later once I'm not so tired. I've just got in you see tongue.gif

#15 ToyfaceWonderman

ToyfaceWonderman

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 17:22

Righty ho then Lisa. I've got you one more photo. I saw no point in taking more, the finish is the same all the way round the whole pen. But trust me when I say, you want a lacque chequer! The mattes are, well, not so nice. Here we go. Hope this gives you more insight.

Attached Images

• s2010028.jpg

#16 lisa

lisa

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 17:34

Great, thanks!
I was considering the matte beige one. I was wondering if it's close to champagne color or lighter in color. I can't tell from pics online...

#17 Sharkle

Sharkle

BPillar

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 17:51

I'm so glad you like your Harmonie! I have this pen in black, F nib, and it's a wonderful writer. I dropped mine twice, never bothered to bend the nib back and it still writes perfectly! biggrin.gif I like that my nib is what most of us would consider a true fine. I wish I had gotten the blue/grey version of your pen, but my black one is very nice as well. Enjoy! smile.gif

#18 lisa

lisa

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 18:07

Really, a true fine? I was hoping for a warerman fine (phileas(not kultur, they are finer) & apostrophe fine)

A waterman fine is finer than a parker fine, what are you comparing it to?

#19 ToyfaceWonderman

ToyfaceWonderman

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 18:12

I never really thought much of the beige one. I've seen them in shops though, it's darker than the web might have you think tongue.gif Yeah, my medium was alot finer than any Parker medium I ever had. I don't like Parkers too much anymore. I'd only consider getting a 45 or a 51, quite like the Rialto as well tongue.gif

#20 Srehman

Srehman

High Priest of Cainism

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 00:21

I have a Harmonie (M nib) in Lacque Black, and it looked nice, but had a baby-bottom nib problem. It's over at Sanford getting adjusted right now, but from writing with it as well as with my Phileas M, I would say it was probably slightly smoother and slightly finer than the Phileas.
"The person who takes the banal and ordinary and illuminates it in a new way can terrify. We do not want our ideas changed. We feel threatened by such demands. 'I already know the important things!' we say. Then Changer comes and throws our old ideas away."
--Frank Herbert; Chapterhouse: Dune

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Sponsored Content

|