A Minor Collection Of 144/145/classique Sized Pens..

da vinci

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• da vinci

• Tom Kellie

• Pen Nut

• etzbseder

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

fpn_1545748779__rororo.jpg

A superb pen Tom, one which I think will stand you in good stead as a writer and which is an exemplar of the quality days of MB! :)

Edited by da vinci

With apologies to Tom, and others, who have been patient, and continued to keep this thread alive with their own superb contributions I have finally got around to taking some (admittedly poor quality - apologies) of my additions to the minor collection in 2018.

It has to be said, I rather surprised myself with the number and variety of new pens that I had accumulated!

To start, the Petite Prince, a nice addition to the MB line of Classique models:

fpn_1545827319__l1050693.jpg

Tom is renown as a fan of nibs leaning to the brand side, and I like the Classique sized Broad tip, so I had the Broad nib fitted to this pen. Here is the money shot for you Tom! :)

fpn_1545827301__l1050694.jpg

to be continued...

Next up is not really a pen, although one of my 144's is in the picture.

I managed to acquire at a very sensible price a set of MB desk accessories which included a 144 sized desk stand - very handy for keeping an inked pen for those swift entries ion your notebook...

fpn_1545827264__l1050697.jpg

Next up, a recent grail pen of mine. A pen I have hankered after for some time. I like the design very much,. and the idea that a pen purchase might help someone is a good one. The UNICEF 2017 solitaire is a magnificent pen indeed and I bought this with as a daily writer, and kept the M nib although I haven't got around to inkling it yet! The UNICEF turquoise is a favourite ink of mine, and when the time comes that is what this (incredibly difficult to photograph!) pen will be loaded with:

fpn_1545827282__l1050695.jpg

Next up, a rather rare "bird". Not a pen I ever thought I'd find at a sensible price, but thanks to a member on here that was in fact achieved. No pictures of the pen, you will know what a vermeil pinstriped 144 barrel looks like by now. And in any event, the true star of this is show is the fine Meissen porcelain cap of the limited annual edition pen from 2012..the Peacock:

fpn_1545827246__l1050699.jpg

The quality of this pen really is superb! :)

I always have an eye out for an eBay find, and the next pen was it. An early 144 in brass (I believe) confirmed as authentic by an MB expert. This pen is pretty heavy and shiny!! By no means a "sumgai" but a relatively rare find:

fpn_1545827212__l1050701.jpg

Ah, Pen Nut old chap, you didn't think I'd forgotten your challenge did you?! :)

Hey and dont forget about the solid platinum 144 will you ! :D

As a finale, at least for today if not for the minor collection, I managed to track down a solid platinum from a trusted vendor. It is rare and I had to have it. The price was high but fair and a fraction of the RRP when new.

This pen is heavy and a beautiful writer. It is also a finger print magnet!!:

fpn_1545827150__l1050704.jpg

fpn_1545827183__l1050707.jpg

I hope you have enjoyed the latest instalment. Thank you for reading as the journey continues! :D

~ da vinci:

These additions reflect a remarkably productive 2018 for your collection.

Each one a treasure...every pen out of the ordinary.

Thank you so much for year-end recap.

The broad nib on the Le Petit Prince Classique is so nice to see. Many special thanks for that.

May 2019 provide you with more treasures for your superb collection.

With Appreciation,

Tom K.

You guys are killing me here :notworthy1:

I had thought that with checking the top MB and the top watch off my list in the waning days of 2018 I could calmly slide into 2019 with no "covets"... but you have shown me that isn't going to happen. And Tom, I had just recently told my good friend Lam1 that I had no vintage pens on my list for next year, but you have shown us such a wonderful example that I may have to rethink my plans.

Thank you both!

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

• 2 months later...

Wow. What an enjoyable thread. Thanks for sharing your pens and the stories.

I have something small for your enjoyment, it's a small Solitaire Sterling Silver Stripe (Hommage a Mozart). A 144? Not sure about the size...

post-148543-0-71486400-1552931263_thumb.jpg

post-148543-0-27282100-1552931271_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

So Da Vinci has been busy :)

I have travelled to both Lwes and Madrid pen shows to hunt down new pens, and had a nice deal with a well known member here ;)

The minor collection has grown...

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af344/996nick2009/Fountain%20Pens/7d318a49-fc57-452c-a48c-2cd0c2dbd10b_zps94c1c2d2.jpg

From the top:

A Vermeil and citrine cap (the cap is a rather nice brown)

The wonderful Ramses II with gold flecked Lapis Cap

75th Anniversary Solitaire (lovely mop star and rose gold trim)

A barley sterling silver early 144

Stainless steel with carbon fibre panels in the cap

I believe this is a Solitaire with a platinum plated cap, the barrel is patterned. More research required!

An all stainless steel model 144. Fingerprint magnet!

There are still more to buy, but the missing models are on the whole much rarer and expensive. I am missing 3 different jungle eyes models (anyone got a topaz jungle eyes going cheap? :) ) and more rare and expensive the mythical animals annual series.

Finally I need a solid gold model, and a black/silver Doue, a black silver Doue with the herringbone zig-zag patterned cap, and a geometric patterned cap model.

Unfortunately the energy, funds and enthusiasm for this particular focus is beginning to wane... :(

I do own a Jungle Eyes (citrine).

Wondering what might be the going rate. :)

Edited by MarkHanks

• 1 year later...

~ da vinci:

This evening I read that the Rektor of a Swiss private school gives Montblanc 145 Classiques to students achieving exceptional examination results.

The rationale is that the gift of a high quality fountain pen will encourage note-taking.

The students receiving the gifts are also given a Montblanc converter, plus a bottle of Montblanc Royal Blue.

When I read that I thought of you and your superb collection of Montblanc 144s, 145s, Classiques.

They remain favorites of mine for daily writing, especially with EF nibs.

With Very Best Wishes,

Tom K.

All these pens are very impressive. I just have common Bordeaux 144s in fine, medium and stub and one black extra fine. I never knew about all the others. Delightful thread. Thanks to all of you.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

~ da vinci:

This evening I read that the Rektor of a Swiss private school gives Montblanc 145 Classiques to students achieving exceptional examination results.

The rationale is that the gift of a high quality fountain pen will encourage note-taking.

The students receiving the gifts are also given a Montblanc converter, plus a bottle of Montblanc Royal Blue.

When I read that I thought of you and your superb collection of Montblanc 144s, 145s, Classiques.

They remain favorites of mine for daily writing, especially with EF nibs.

With Very Best Wishes,

Tom K.

Tom,

fabulous to hear from you! I hope life is returning to a semblance of normality and you remain safe and well?

i am glad that you took the trouble to comment on this thread, kind of you to remember it. And what a fitting gift for academic achievement! It’s been some time since I have used one of these pens, but you have inspired me to Do so in the next couple of days. I am afraid I have fallen prey to the temptation of the B nib on the 149/146 pens. I am now feeling rather guilty! :)

cheers!

Edited by da vinci

All these pens are very impressive. I just have common Bordeaux 144s in fine, medium and stub and one black extra fine. I never knew about all the others. Delightful thread. Thanks to all of you.

Thank you for your kind comment. I am glad it was helpful :thumbup: