The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

A Minor Collection Of 144/145/classique Sized Pens..

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#41 Mathew J

Mathew J

Mathew J

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 19:46

Nice collection, I also have a Chopin, and recently just sold a Le Grand ballpoint so that I can buy a classique size one as I found I never used the legrand as it seemed too large to pocket and not seem overly flashy...prefer for daily use pens the thinner diameter of the classique size.

"Semper Ubi Sub Ubi"

Sponsored Content

#42 Matlock

Matlock

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2015 - 06:30

I have 149, 146, 147 and Classique FPs and also a Le Grand highlighter and Classique ballpoint and pencils.

All great but, like Mathew J, I find the 149 and the Le Grands too large. The highlighter and the Traveller have their special uses but most of the time I use the Classiques.

Peter

#43 SE1980

SE1980

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2015 - 15:19

If your collection is minor, my two MB pens are negligible already. But great collection nevertheless!

Lamy 2000 FP, PP & BP. Mont Blanc Meisterstück 161 Le Grand Platinum BP & Heritage 1912 FP.

#44 Mathew J

Mathew J

Mathew J

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 19:34

I have 149, 146, 147 and Classique FPs and also a Le Grand highlighter and Classique ballpoint and pencils.

All great but, like Mathew J, I find the 149 and the Le Grands too large. The highlighter and the Traveller have their special uses but most of the time I use the Classiques.

For FPs I tend to like slightly larger, so in the 146 range but I have a 145 that I got as a gift and like it, for ball pens for whatever reason I prefer the smaller size of the classiques, not sure if it is a visual thing, or portability, but just a big ballpoint seems strange to me

"Semper Ubi Sub Ubi"

#45 Michigan

Michigan

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 May 2015 - 01:48

You've chosen one thing and covered it very, very well!

As an aside, does your choice of 144s for size equate somehow to your hand size?  I love the 146s and wear XL gloves. 

#46 da vinci

da vinci

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 19:17

You've chosen one thing and covered it very, very well!

As an aside, does your choice of 144s for size equate somehow to your hand size?  I love the 146s and wear XL gloves.

Thank you :)

In answer to your question I am not sure as I don't wear gloves and have never measured my hands which I assume to be of average size. The pen just feels...right.

#47 pavoni

pavoni

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 May 2015 - 19:49

Thank you :)

In answer to your question I am not sure as I don't wear gloves and have never measured my hands which I assume to be of average size. The pen just feels...right.

And looks right.  :notworthy1:  Fabulous collection da vinci.  Love a collection with a theme and really pleased to see you still adding to yours. 

Thank you for sharing so generously :thumbup:  

Pavoni.

#48 ink-syringe

ink-syringe

foo

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 May 2015 - 14:15

I love these pens.

I want one so bad it hurts.

not sure if it is a visual thing, or portability, but just a big ballpoint seems strange to me

I am with you on that.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

#49 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

From EEF to BBBB Small Signature

• Member - Gold

• 3,574 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 August 2017 - 19:43

fpn_1503949349__da_vinci_144.jpg

#50 da vinci

da vinci

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,824 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 20:27

Thanks Tom, very kind. The 90 anniversary pen is a big favourite of mine too!

#51 bubba818

bubba818

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 September 2017 - 05:02

The pure silver is my first ever MB. If I am buying something expensive, might as well get a silver pen rather than a plastic pen. I bought it 11 years ago and it is still a joy to use. Just need to clean it twice a month so that the silver does not tarnish but it is worth it.

mbfp.jpg

#52 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

• Member - Gold

• 3,574 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:29

The pure silver is my first ever MB. If I am buying something expensive, might as well get a silver pen rather than a plastic pen. I bought it 11 years ago and it is still a joy to use. Just need to clean it twice a month so that the silver does not tarnish but it is worth it.

~ bubba818:

What a lovely fountain pen!

I've never seen or handled such a silver 145.

I have a cedar blue Parker 51 with a sterling silver cap which benefits from monthly maintenance.

I'm impressed that after eleven years it still writes well. 

That's quality.

Thank you for posting this.

Tom K.

#53 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

• Member - Gold

• 3,574 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:16

~ da vinci:

Every few months a return visit to this thread is sure bring pleasure.

Your style of presenting your collection of 144s, 145s, Classiques is enjoyable to read.

I hope that in 2018 you'll have many opportunities to enjoy your pens.

If there are ever any new acquisitions of interest, a photograph would be a welcome addition to this thread, which is one of my favorites.

I'm uncertain why the Classique size feels so right in my grip.

Despite regularly writing with larger pens, the Classiques remain in regular use.

Lately I've thought more about eventually acquiring a 144 with a B or a BB nib.

There's no urgency about it, but revisiting your collection inspires thought of a future pen.

Tom K.

#54 Pen Nut

Pen Nut

"You open one safe door and another one closes"

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,589 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2018 - 17:32

My little pinstripe doue.  Hey and dont forget about the solid platinum 144 will you  !  :D

fpn_1520011803__wp_20180302_17_25_36_pro

Money may not make you happy but I would rather cry in a Rolls-Royce

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

#55 da vinci

da vinci

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,824 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 10:26

~ da vinci:

Every few months a return visit to this thread is sure bring pleasure.

Your style of presenting your collection of 144s, 145s, Classiques is enjoyable to read.

I hope that in 2018 you'll have many opportunities to enjoy your pens.

If there are ever any new acquisitions of interest, a photograph would be a welcome addition to this thread, which is one of my favorites.

I'm uncertain why the Classique size feels so right in my grip.

Despite regularly writing with larger pens, the Classiques remain in regular use.

Lately I've thought more about eventually acquiring a 144 with a B or a BB nib.

There's no urgency about it, but revisiting your collection inspires thought of a future pen.

Tom K.

Dear Tom,

I hope this thread wasn't one of the ones you refer to in post #885 of your excellent MB nibs thread. I am glad that despite my poor photos and descriptions you get some enjoyment out of it, as I do your many informative and artistic postings.

Let me re-assure anyone who cares to read that this thread is not dead, and therefore not in need of revival, but merely slumbering whilst I get my act together to post some more information when my pens are retrieved from storage following some work being done to my study.

It will be my pleasure to include further information on the wide variety of nibs available in case you,Tom, find that interesting.

Regards da vinci :)

#56 da vinci

da vinci

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,824 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 10:31

My little pinstripe doue.  Hey and dont forget about the solid platinum 144 will you  !  :D

fpn_1520011803__wp_20180302_17_25_36_pro

A nice pen, Pen Nut, practical with a hint of luxury given the sterling silver cap. One of my favourites.

I saw the platinum pen for sale. Had it been on my side of the "pond" I might have chased it and worried about how to fund it later. The thought of the taxes to be paid had it been shipped to me were, however, enough for me to take a step back from the "bid" button. :)

#57 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

• Member - Gold

• 3,574 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2018 - 10:45

Dear Tom,

I hope this thread wasn't one of the ones you refer to in post #885 of your excellent MB nibs thread. I am glad that despite my poor photos and descriptions you get some enjoyment out of it, as I do your many informative and artistic postings.

Let me re-assure anyone who cares to read that this thread is not dead, and therefore not in need of revival, but merely slumbering whilst I get my act together to post some more information when my pens are retrieved from storage following some work being done to my study.

It will be my pleasure to include further information on the wide variety of nibs available in case you,Tom, find that interesting.

Regards da vinci :)

~ da vinci:

Far from it, this thread is a favorite. I wanted no more than to express my pleasure in it, as the posts are superb, both text and images.

Yes, please. More detailed information about 144/145/Classique nibs would be both interesting and helpful.

Over the past eight months I've toyed with the possibility of acquiring a 144, and have thought about a BB nib, but I'm interested to consider a wide range od possibilities.

Thank you for your kind reply. I hope that the work in your study will be entirely satisfactory.

Tom K.

#58 Pen Nut

Pen Nut

"You open one safe door and another one closes"

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,589 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2018 - 13:15

A nice pen, Pen Nut, practical with a hint of luxury given the sterling silver cap. One of my favourites.

I saw the platinum pen for sale. Had it been on my side of the "pond" I might have chased it and worried about how to fund it later. The thought of the taxes to be paid had it been shipped to me were, however, enough for me to take a step back from the "bid" button. :)

Hi da vinci, on my MB precious metal hunt (well everyone has precious resin dont they ! :D )  I did consider a 146 in solid platinum but was a bit underwhelmed when I met with the seller and handled, (nearly put fondled then but never sits right that word :o ) the said writing instrument.......just didnt hit the mark for me. Ended up with this fella, excuse the ill fitting Duofold box, but still look at what is on offer in various auctions as they come up. As you mention a problem for UK buyers bidding on the high end USA auctions are the numerous fees and taxes you incur oh and these have to be paid before you can touch your parcel as well !

fpn_1351866926__18ct1.jpg

Money may not make you happy but I would rather cry in a Rolls-Royce

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

#59 da vinci

da vinci

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,824 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 22:21

~ da vinci:

Far from it, this thread is a favorite. I wanted no more than to express my pleasure in it, as the posts are superb, both text and images.

Yes, please. More detailed information about 144/145/Classique nibs would be both interesting and helpful.

Over the past eight months I've toyed with the possibility of acquiring a 144, and have thought about a BB nib, but I'm interested to consider a wide range od possibilities.

Thank you for your kind reply. I hope that the work in your study will be entirely satisfactory.

Tom K.

Tom, it will be a couple of months unfortunately but I hope worth the wait. The monotone gold BB nib on a 144 is one of my favourite pens :)

#60 da vinci

da vinci

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,824 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 22:23

Hi da vinci, on my MB precious metal hunt (well everyone has precious resin dont they ! :D )  I did consider a 146 in solid platinum but was a bit underwhelmed when I met with the seller and handled, (nearly put fondled then but never sits right that word :o ) the said writing instrument.......just didnt hit the mark for me. Ended up with this fella, excuse the ill fitting Duofold box, but still look at what is on offer in various auctions as they come up. As you mention a problem for UK buyers bidding on the high end USA auctions are the numerous fees and taxes you incur oh and these have to be paid before you can touch your parcel as well !

fpn_1351866926__18ct1.jpg

Very nice pen nut. I was offered the 144 version of this pen at Madrid pen show for 1000 euros about 4 years ago. It was a bit battered and I didn't understand then what this pen really was. I rue the day I passed on that pen :(

Sponsored Content

|