Transporting Extra Ink

Johnboy976

I usually carry at least one 1 oz Nalgene bottle of ink in my bag everyday and I've never had an issue with leaks or spills. The 1 oz size has a broad enough base to remain stable while filling my pen. I have used the half oz bottles before, but they have a neck that is a tight fit for a lot of my pens and when I had to dip them in very far it would make a royal mess of the section.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AAAndrew

• vinper

• ac12

• AGxM

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Personally, I have a pen case from jet pens. In the back section I have 3 vials from goulet (see pic above) All three held in a small sealable baggie. Never had a problem with ink leaks from the vial but if I did the baggie should hold it. I carry enough ink that I would have to get lost in the woods to run out, which is hard to do living in the prairies.

Rick

Edit: I forgot to add that the vials from goulet have the advantage of being approximately pen diameter and large pen but not overly bulky.

Edited by txinsk

Need money for pens, must make good notebooks. :)

The diamine 30ml bottles are good. I have a bottle in my bag for college and have not had any problems.

The diamine 30ml bottles are good. I have a bottle in my bag for college and have not had any problems.

+1 to that!

Edited by Chettiar

I personally carry cartridges with me, but use my own ink when I can. If I run out in an emergency, I don't want to pull a bottle to refill. Takes too long and too potentially messy.

Instead, if my converter runs out, I just pop it out and replace it with sealed cartridges. Sure, you might not like the ink as much, but it's just until you get the chance to do a manual refill.

Alternatively, carry an eyedropper pen, since their ink supply is ungodly huge.

In my bag I carry a 5ml vial inside an aspirin bottle filled with tissues. Gives you something to wipe the pen with as well.

• 11 months later...

A bit of a necropost....but tried using the TWSBI Vac20 inkwell to carry ink during my recent 4 week sojourn to the UK and Denmark and it leaked after every single flight :(

Luckily I had it in a ziplock so no real damage, but pretty unhappy as I had it in my hand luggage and so it suffered no excessive bumps and leaked from the larger screwtop lid. Have now ordered a Visconti to see how that goes and will also get some naglene bottles for shorter trips.

. sorry did not notice the necro bump.

but really good feedback on the twsbi.

Edited by ink-syringe

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

. sorry did not notice the necro bump.

but really good feedback on the twsbi.

Yep really disappointed actually. I bought the inkwell for this trip specially and had to wash out the ziplock 3 times and lost a lot of ink in the process, maybe I over tightened it but wont chance it again.

Bummer. I was looking at that too. & for the same purpose so thanks.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

Has anyone flown with the newer inkwell from TWSBI? It's larger and glass, but just wondered if it's got a better seal.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

I have a lot of bottles from vitamin stores: they twist tight and hold a good quantity of ink.

I recently bought 4x 10ml bottles of J Herbin ink. When they are empty I shall wash them and use them as travelling ink pots. In fact, I shall use them for that purpose before they are empty.

David.

I have a lot of bottles from vitamin stores: they twist tight and hold a good quantity of ink.

I don't remember the brand, but one of the powdered drink things comes in a plastic tube with a snap lid - carries nibs/nib units pretty well. :)

On the ink front, I carry extra ink in a 1 ounce Nalgene with screw top. No spills, the base is big enough to not knock over easily, and the wide mouth version takes pens of many diameters. The Narrow mouthed ones are too bad either.

+1 for the Nalgene bottles.

I recently needed to purchase a number of Nalgene watertight/oiltight containers for another purpose (to hold and transport 2-stroke oil). I saw these smaller containers as I checked the site and purchased 5 of them for ink transporting. They each hold 60ml and cost £1:60 each. I will also pop them into a sealed bag just in case. I found the bottles quite easily from a google search for 'Nalgene bottles'. Camping supplies outlets seem to be a good source for these.

The idea of a smaller vial inside a Nalgene bottle is a neat idea ;) You could pack it with some tissue also for mopping up.

A Conid Bulkfiller may be another option :)

My Instagram page.

I like the strategy already described of topping up two pens or more at night, for use the next day. If the starter is a "tanker" like a TWSBI Vac 700, you will probably never get the reliever.

• 7 months later...

I always carry more than one pen completely full, not because I run out of ink often (I have bottles of ink at home and my office, so never far from a refill, but because I like to carry around 2 different inks. I use a lovely colour for my everyday writing and notetaking, but when I need to sign something or fill out something I need to use black, so I always have a pen inked up with Noodler's Black handy.

So obviously I am a fan of carrying a backup pen, but personally, I couldn't stand it if my lovely colour ran out and I had to switch to black for the rest of the week. I do have a Visconti travelling inkpot that I fill with the same ink that is in my primary pen (At the moment it is the Iroshizuku Japanese Beautyberry - gorgeous ink) if I'm going to be away from the ink bottle.

Whenever I travel overseas, I carry on average 5 inked up pens in a leather wrap (4 fountain pens and a rollerball) because when I am writing in my travel diary, I like to see different colours all over the pages.

I hear the nalgene bottles are popular, as are the sample vials that you get from places like Goulet's. They're cheap and get the job done. I would suggest if you are going to use those light weight plastic vials, that you put a blob of blu-tac on the bottom so when you are filling, it is stuck to the desk/table/bench to prevent knocking it over, as it is super easy to do.

Nalgene bottles are also available from The Container Store.

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

Another fan of Visconte. I haven't run into the need of refilling on the run, but I keep it in my briefcase in the event of need. And it does look really cool.