Transporting Extra Ink

Johnboy976

Refill the pen every evening when you get home, just like brushing your teeth or scrubbing the dishes, then you start every day with a full pen, I also carry multiple pens and a refillable rollerball that takes FP ink (either one of the Pilot refillable V series or a Lyra rollerball) for when I need to write on carbon paper.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AAAndrew

• vinper

• ac12

• Johnboy976

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nalgene bottles. I use both the 15mL and 8mL ones and they are great for travel.

Doctoral classes are too important to spend time fussing about a pen that may run out of ink. When I did my doctoral classes I kept 2 Staples gel pens in my bag and switched off the minute one ran out of ink. I also kept a 6 pen case in my bag with an assortment of fps, highlighters, and mechanical pencils that I used when working in the library or at home. Save the fps for when you can savor their use and keep to something simple for class. I realize that many on this forum may disagree and many worthwhile solutions have been suggested above, but I think that if you're just beginning your doctoral classes you have much more important issues to address than filling your pen. Trying to negotiate note taking with a fp on some of the tiny desks provided in some lecture halls can be a very frustrating experience especially for a lefty like me in a world of desks made for the right handed--remember Bill Clinton's mantra "KISS.". Good luck, vinper

I stopped by REI last week and looked at their small bottles. The smallest I could find was a 1 oz Nalgene bottle; they also had a similar 2 oz bottle. (I also saw other smaller non-screw cap containers in that aisle that looked more like pill boxes, nothing you'd feel comfortable storing liquids in). Is the 1 oz bottle the size you all use? Or is there a 1/2 oz bottle available elsewhere?

The REI near me has a variety of sizes, even smaller than 1 oz. As far as I know, Nalgene is inert and won't react with any ink. I've not had any leaks, but I've only taken these bottles on airplanes once. If you try it, I'd be cautious and fill the bottle to the top (so there's no air to change volume with decreased pressure in the airplane cabin) and put the bottle into a zip-lock type plastic bag. Sorry I can't be more specific, but I don't have enough experience with the issue.

My pens never run out of ink. I'm always unscrewing them to look at the ink level.

Depending on the ink and pen, you may not have to carry ink. Just suck in some plain water (like from a bottle cap or a trickle under the faucet). You'll be amazed at how much ink can still be inside an "empty" pen.

Save the fps for when you can savor their use and keep to something simple for class. I realize that many on this forum may disagree and many worthwhile solutions have been suggested above, but I think that if you're just beginning your doctoral classes you have much more important issues to address than filling your pen. Trying to negotiate note taking with a fp on some of the tiny desks provided in some lecture halls can be a very frustrating experience.

Perhaps viniper is right, that many people here will disagree with with this advice. I agree and believe it applies at any level of education, from high school to post graduate meetings and conferences. For note taking, I would find a ballpoint, gel, or felt tip that works well with the paper I am using, then buy a dozen and keep three with me. Fountain pens stay at home and in my office. This website has good recommendations.

another vote for that travelling ink pot thing, even if the price does sting :P It's more than many decent pens! That said I am so glad I got mine, I think it's totally worth skipping one pen purchase for this because it will really help untether you from the bottle. At least you can use it for your main ink that you use for most of your writing - for accent/highlight colors you can always use the sample vials (or even go without, a week is not that long and it might be possible). Most of my c/c pens get about 5-6 refills out of this, it is pretty great. I wish they'd make a cheaper version, I'd buy it!

I'm not affiliated with ANY of the brands/retailers/shops/ebay sellers/whatever I mention or recommend. If that ever changes, I will let you know :)

Looking for a cheap Pilot VP/Capless - willing to put up with lots of cosmetic damage.

The diamine 30ml bottles are good. I have a bottle in my bag for college and have not had any problems.

In prior classes I have consistently run out of ink sometime in the middle of the week, and so I inevitably have to more purchase ink or else use a... ballpoint... for the rest of the class. I am looking for a way to transport extra ink that happens to be durable and carries a sufficient amount of ink for my needs. What is your recommendation?

It has been a long time [36 years] since I trod the hallowed halls of academia. I am semi-senile, and ever crankier, so with some hesitation I ask: do you own a car? If so, how often do you run out of gas? Same principle.

I understand many people don't do well with regular maintenance: I'm married to one. But refilling your pens at the end of the day, or as you're heading out the door to class, ensures a full day of writing.

Fill, and take, two pens everyday and you'll do just fine. If you take one thinner and one thicker pen you can also give your hand a change of pace.

gary

ps to vinper-not sure of the relationship of using an easier- to-control FP to the size of the desk

Edited by gary

The diamine 30ml bottles are good.

A Pelikan 4001 30ml bottle is also a good alternative.

It has been a long time [36 years] since I trod the hallowed halls of academia. I am semi-senile, and ever crankier, so with some hesitation I ask: do you own a car? If so, how often do you run out of gas? Same principle.

I understand many people don't do well with regular maintenance: I'm married to one. But refilling your pens at the end of the day, or as you're heading out the door to class, ensures a full day of writing.

Fill, and take, two pens everyday and you'll do just fine. If you take one thinner and one thicker pen you can also give your hand a change of pace.

gary

ps to vinper-not sure of the relationship of using an easier- to-control FP to the size of the desk

The small size of the desk has noting to do with the control of the pen ; it has to do with getting the cuff of my shirt full of wet ink as I move my left hand across the page towards what I am writing instead of away from it as a right handed person would do. The problem doesn't exist for me when working on a larger surface. In a large lecture class I would sometimes find a seat at the back of the room and then appropriate 2 desks, one for sitting and the other to hold my notebook as I scribbled away--all in all, for me the gel pen was the ideal solution. vinper

gary

The fountain pen was more problematic for me due to my left handedness. If I couldn't get a seat on the left side of the classroom my left arm would be crossing in front of my body while trying to write on a desk designed for a right handed person with the added problem of my hand moving towards the words I had just written instead of away from them, often smearing what I had just written. On a large writing surface without a cramped seating position and with good forearm support there was no problem. All in all, for me the gel pen or a simple ballpoint worked out better. I realize that people are passionate about their fps, I am too, I just think that doctoral classes are too important to put up with a writing instrument that requires special attention. The doctoral candidate can do without one more thing to distract him in any way. vinper

. The doctoral candidate can do without one more thing to distract him in any way. vinper

In a case such as yours I won't argue that a FP is better.

You do bring to mind another reason to use an FP: fatigue. I wrote two letters this week with a ball point. I very quickly had pain from gripping the pen. And my writing deteriorated as well. I forgot how much less effort is involved with a real pen.

A FP is not an affectation, it's a tool. Well chosen and maintained it will make the job of grad school easier. The fact that it's fun is just a pleasant bonus.

gary

I bought one of those traveling inkpots, a cylinder actually. I think it was made by Visconti. I haven't used it though.

Michelle

I always recommend three fountain pens for a full day of classes. Most school brands (Lamy, Pelikan plastics like the Future, or other found in big box office supply stores or the campus store.

However, in your case, a mix of gel and rollerball pens are most appropriate.

The important thing, in choosing writing instruments to take notes in long hand, is to vary the type of pen in order to avoid cramping of the writing hand.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

In general, to get the most words from a fountain pen it makes sense to choose a pen with maximum filling capacity (piston fillers, Eyedroppers can hold more ink than you could use in 24 hours of continuous writing) and a fine or extra-fine nib. These all affect how much you can write. (as well as what ink you use, and the paper)

Having survived seven years of graduate school in the humanities, I can say that I never wrote more in a day than a couple of well-filled fountain pens could go through if I chose wisely. But maybe that's why I only got to ABD (all but dissertation). :)

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

I too use a Visconti travelling inkwell. Just don't do what I did and let it empty all over your desk! LOL.

A superb inkwell as long as you maintain the seal before filling your pen. I didn't and oops.

I make sure I have two pens in situations like that, and I also vote for the small Nalgene bottles. They're easy to take a fill from, and have a wider more stable base than the sample vials. If I'm transporting ink in sample vials I put four of them into an ink bottle box - it holds them upright.

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

I like that idea!

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne