The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Interesting Pens Or Inks In The Czech Republic?

czech

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Wheatflower

Wheatflower

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 May 2014 - 22:49

I have learned that I have a friend visiting the Czech Republic this summer.  If I asked her to bring me back something she would, so is there anything she should look for?

Fountain Pens: Still cheaper than playing Warhammer 40K

Sponsored Content

#2 playtime

playtime

Flexible

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 May 2014 - 01:26

Penkala pens......

"Writing is 1/3 nib width & flex, 1/3 paper and 1/3 ink. In that order."Bo Bo Olson

"No one needs to rotate a pen while using an oblique, in fact, that's against the whole concept of an oblique, which is to give you shading without any special effort."Professor Propas, 24 December 2010

"IMHO, the only advantage of the 149 is increased girth if needed, increased gold if wanted and increased prestige if perceived.  I have three, but hardly ever use them.  After all, they hold the same amount of ink as a 146."FredRydr, 12 March 2015

"Surely half the pleasure of life is sardonic comment on the passing show."Sir Peter Strawson

#3 rockydoggy

rockydoggy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 01:34

I have a friend living in Prague and he sent me a slew of these small, inexpensive cartridge pens put out by Centropen called the Pluto.  They're made of plastic with a screw-on cap.  In terms of comparative pens, think the Preppy.  The downside is that the plastic can be fragile, especially on the clear models.  The upside is that I've not encountered one yet that wasn't a very smooth writer; also, the caps are airtight, which means that the pens don't dry out if left unused.  Interestingly, the Pluto pens that he sent me a few years have "ENGLAND" etched on the nib.  The ones that I received from him a year or so ago have blank nibs.  I recently noticed on Ebay that Centropen now offers what looks like a sturdier pen called the Shark, but I've not seen one in person.  Finally, my friend reported seeing fancier, upscale Centropen models in Prague, including some nice older ones, but he didn't feel comfortable taking a chance on any of them.  Some time ago I bought a well-made, 1960s or 70s-vintage Centropen on Ebay that I like even though it doesn't get much use.

#4 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,445 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:49

If you slip over the border into Slovakia, they make an ink there.....no pens though......hum...what was the name of that ink. Ah, Sheaffers.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#5 ehemem

ehemem

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:06

I think you might want to contact/PM FPM Khufu who lives in the Czech Republic and is very generous with his knowledge about Czechoslovakian vintage pens which is extensive.

Here is a link to an evilBay dealer from Praha, another good source for information:

http://www.ebay.com/...=p2047675.l2559

There were quite a few manufacturers of quality fountain pens in Czechoslovakia prior to WW2, and what was left after the war was centralized under Centropen which continued to produce some very good quality pens into the 1960s. As for current production, I think that Centropen is pretty much all there is.

Hope this helps...

ETA: There are some threads with some pics here on FPN. Do a search for Centropen, Barclay and Smaragd for some vintage pens to get you started.

Edited by ehemem, 22 May 2014 - 09:16.

#6 ehemem

ehemem

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:07

Penkala pens......

NOT CZECH.

#7 Rose Nibs

Rose Nibs

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 11:09

I agree with everything ehemem wrote and if you are really keen you might look for a Ripet nib on a post-1945 Centropen or Barclay.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: czech

Sponsored Content

|